Mack Brown could be SMU's Larry Brown for football

Harry

I understand what he did to turn the program around and the fact that by traditional standards was a very successful coach. At the same time when you take in to account the resources he had available he should have been able to win more. He was a pretty good coach I just don't hold the fake Mac in very high regard after reading him admit to stargazing and talking about how much control his wife had over the football program. I think they fired him a year too late out of loyalty for turning the program around and winning a national title, just my opinion though.

To your last point, I understand that, and I'm inclined to agree with it with the benefit of hindsight.

To the first part that I highlighted, A&M wasn't/isn't exactly a slouch with respects to resources. In fact, I'd say from 1996-2011, no program in the state did less with more than A&M. Sure, Mack Brown could have done more... and I would guess most Longhorns will agree with that. But take a look at some questionable hires made by USC, Alabama (yes, Alabama was a middle-of-the-road football team until 2007), Michigan, Notre Dame, et al. which were made throughout his tenure and you'll see that Mack Brown was far from bad...or even average. He just wasn't Saban or Meyer when it came to game day. And Texas wanted a Saban or Meyer to go with their ridiculous budget.

That's why I think, objectively speaking, he wouldn't be the worst SMU could do. Personally, if I'm SMU, I think I'd go a different, younger route. From the outside, that program just seems old, tired, and dead.

• Upvote 1

Selling out a 7,000 seat basketball arena on a slow weeknight against a marquee opponent is one thing. Filling up a 32k seat football stadium on a fall Saturday is totally different. SMU has the $ but they don't have the bodies to be a program any bigger than they are. They don't have many students and many of their alums move away from DFW. That program has a low ceiling and June Jones knew it. UNT has eclipsed SMU as a football program and there will be no looking back. The program all of us should fear making the leap into a Big 12-worthy program ahead of us is not SMU, it is UTSA.

Edited by MeanGreenZen
  • Upvote 2

My take is this.... They, agreed or disagreed, found a hit for them in Larry Brown. I have seen all the lists that have been published, all talking about the OC of A&M, Clemson, Ohio State and others.... I think that would be a big mistake for SMU. Why? They couldn't keep them if they are successful. Yes, I'm not saying SMU couldn't come up with big money, but Dallas is still controlled by Texas and A&M. Just wait till the Aggies play at Ford Stadium in a few weeks.

With that said, they need a proven winning coach who has some age....and who still would create some excitement, be a good recruiter, and be able to communicate with the media. Our Coach Mac.! (I still wake up sweating at nights thinking an incredible offer will take Mac away from us).

I agree with many of you:

Mack Brown, I am not a UT fan, but really believe Coach Brown is classy. He has learned some lessons about Assistants, but would be loved by SMU Alums, the media, and would fare well in recruiting.

I know many of you laugh, but Mike Leach should not be ruled out. They see what are happening around, and his arrogance may fit some of the richer alums.

Dave Wannstadt may be of interest. And, we have heard that people have mentioned Larry Coker. I am shocked, that you include Coker and not Coach Mac (but thank heavens).

I believe (and I know we are not supposed to care), but if they go young, it will be short lived. That's ParksAndRecRick's thoughts on the issue....

...more importantly: GO MEAN GREEN!