Mack Brown could be SMU's Larry Brown for football

Harry

If they like old guys, hiring Mack should be a no-brainer.

Mack picked UT up off the ground and made it a national contender every year. He can do the same at SMU, which has money, resources, and — as the only school of note in Dallas — has a tremendous recruiting advantage. In fact, it’s a crime that SMU doesn’t own Dallas-area recruiting. It should be able to lock that city down. (Editor’s note: See North Texas’ 43-6 win as an example that SMU doesn’t own it.)

This advice comes with a caveat. Mack isn’t your long-term coach. Mack is your Big Splash, Resuscitate The Program hire. After his first 10-win season, fire him and bring in a much younger guy.

Read more: http://blog.mysanantonio.com/roy-bragg/2014/09/mack-brown-to-smu-it-could-work/

SMU has money but it is nowhere near Texas money. Texas football is the wealthiest program in college sports. Brown did no more than what should be the expectation there. I would be surprised if Brown takes the job, but I would not expect him to turn the ponies into world beaters if he does. You can't run a soft program with success unless you are getting the best players in the country every year.

Edited by pastorgrant
  • Upvote 1

I mean, I'd take $2M a year for a job in a state that I'd spent the last decade and a half recruiting. It's not like he's starting over, creating new relationships with new schools. He was fairly adamant he planned to coach the duration of his contract, so he may have one more stint in him, for the right price.

Plus there's almost no one that can shake hands with wealthy donors like Brown.

• Upvote 2

He was failing with the best of everything.

You mean like people said Larry Coker was? While Miami might not have all the inherit advantages of Texas, the program was a freight train when he took over. Within a few years he was canned because he "couldn't coach" or was "too old." Looks like he's fine at UTSA

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1

I think it would be perfect for them. A guy that can recruit (something June Jones was uninterested in recently) and knows the state (again, June Jones had only 68 guys from TX), and can glad-hand like no other (giggle). All those SMOO boosters want is to be flattered by the coach, and get some kewl recruits and win a little. I'm sure SMU boosters are nothing compared to Texas'.

I'd love it mostly because we'd get to take him on every year. Maybe we could even put 50+ on him like he did our squads. I am nothing if not a holder of grudges.

• Upvote 3

"...it’s a crime that SMU doesn’t own Dallas-area recruiting."

Idiot. This is the kind of mentality Todd Dodge used. You build a team by getting the best players you can anywhere!

If I can get a better running back from East Texas, that's where I go. If I can get a better kicker from Edmond, Oklahoma, that's where I go.

The "own Texas in recruiting" mentality is what got Mack in trouble to begin with. The best players at all positions aren't always in Texas. That's why Bob Stoops owned Mack Brown. He went all over the country and got players.

SMU - and I've argued before, North Texas - must take that old Nebraksa/Oklahoma mentality of getting what they can, where they can. Nebraska and Oklahoma don't have large enough populations, and the SMUs and UNTs of the world don't have the tradition to just sell themselves, even to the local recruits.

You can't be such a shortsighted butthole that you overly focus on one region.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I'm not sure Coker wants to leave UTSA especially for a job like SMU that would be another rebuild. If Coker was really lowballed he would have refused to sign the extension.

As for Mack Brown, I don't think he is the right choice for them by any means. You want to hire the guy who had all the advantages in the world but couldn't get the job done and at one time admitted to "star gazing" in recruiting rather than making evaluations? They have plenty of money to throw around, they will get a big time name, we just have to hope it's not a name as big as Larry Brown because the new coach will undoubtedly try to flip a few of our commits when he is hired.

• Upvote 1

SMUT is delusional .... Mac Brown is not coming (or any big name coach that enjoys winning) ... they also think they have a premier program ... really???.... where are the fans??? ... I will be very surprised to see them ever be a notable football program again.....

You want to hire the guy who had all the advantages in the world but couldn't get the job done and at one time admitted to "star gazing" in recruiting rather than making evaluations?

I don't think you realize what Mack Brown did for Texas. He effectively put the program back on the map. First, with boosters and season ticket sales. Then with a product, which netted a national title, a record string of 10-win seasons and a few BCS bowl appearances -- far beyond what anyone else in the State of Texas accomplished during his tenure. A couple bounces one way or the other with a healthy Colt McCoy and a tackle on Michael Crabtree and his legacy might have been different (granted, it would have been a total disappointment had USC converted a 4th & 2 -- or punted).

Mack's downfall was refusing to continue to recruit and backfill positions with blue-chip talent, as Saban does at Alabama. Saban stocks every position. Best guy wins out and the rest can wait until their turn or transfer out. Saban doesn't do ego. Saban doesn't promise guys he won't recruit someone better for a given guy's position. Mack seemed so worried he'd hurt the egos of the big names he did secure, combined with -- and I'll agree with you, stargazing -- that he lost his edge at the only place he used to consistently dominate: the living room.

Edited by Eagle1855
  • Upvote 1

Plus there's almost no one that can shake hands with wealthy donors like Brown.

...this

also...if you were the parent of a young athlete

...who would you trust more to look after your child's well being?

1) Brown

2) Tressel

3) Leach

4) Coker

Mac appears to be a good guy and I think would be a good fit for SMU.

Edited by 3XL
  • Upvote 1

I don't think you realize what Mack Brown did for Texas. He effectively put the program back on the map. First, with boosters and season ticket sales. Then with a product, which netted a national title, a record string of 10-win seasons and a few BCS bowl appearances -- far beyond what anyone else in the State of Texas accomplished during his tenure. A couple bounces one way or the other with a healthy Colt McCoy and a tackle on Michael Crabtree and his legacy might have been different (granted, it would have been a total disappointment had USC converted a 4th & 2 -- or punted).

Mack's downfall was refusing to continue to recruit and backfill positions with blue-chip talent, as Saban does at Alabama. Saban stocks every position. Best guy wins out and the rest can wait until their turn or transfer out. Saban doesn't do ego. Saban doesn't promise guys he won't recruit someone better for a given guy's position. Mack seemed so worried he'd hurt the egos of the big names he did secure, combined with -- and I'll agree with you, stargazing -- that he lost his edge at the only place he used to consistently dominate: the living room.

I understand what he did to turn the program around and the fact that by traditional standards was a very successful coach. At the same time when you take in to account the resources he had available he should have been able to win more. He was a pretty good coach I just don't hold the fake Mac in very high regard after reading him admit to stargazing and talking about how much control his wife had over the football program. I think they fired him a year too late out of loyalty for turning the program around and winning a national title, just my opinion though.

• Upvote 1