Future Schedules: Texas A&M

meanJewGreen

So, I see they play Rice, UTSA, SMU, SHSU, Lamar (at least in the past few years....)

Anyone know why we can't get a money game with them? Hasn't it been 15 years since we played them?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

They come here in a series or we don't play them at all.

Maybe that butt kicking on Saturday will make them realize that they are playing at the wrong 31k seat stadium in 2 weeks.

Maybe we should do something crazy, like, I don't know, actually ask them if they would be interested in a 1 and 1 with us.

Crazy, I know.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So, I see they play Rice, UTSA, SMU, SHSU, Lamar (at least in the past few years....)

Anyone know why we can't get a money game with them? Hasn't it been 15 years since we played them?

They are already playing Arkansas every year at JerryWorld until the mid-2020s. No need for them to make two trips to DFW in a year. This is well-covered territory:

http://www.goodbullhunting.com/2013/9/25/4765530/texas-aggies-arkansas-razorbacks-arlington-stadium-tv-contract-jerryworld

Also, every Big 12 school plays every other year in Fort Worth with TCU now in the conference.

The only Big 12 team I've thought we could realistically approach is Kansas. They have a small recruiting pipeline to Texas, and I thought a home and home series with them might be a pretty good sell.

KU doesn't have an open spot for OOC games until 2018. Big 12 schools only have three OOCs. They play at TCU in odd number years.

In 2019 and 2020 they have a home and home series with Houston. In 2019, they will be in Texas twice, then: Houston and TCU.

If I were RV, I'd propose home and homes beginning in 2018 and try to go for six to ten years. But, if they are only willing to do two games, I'd go for 2018 here and 2019 there. It fits both of our schedules. Our only away game in 2019, thusfar, is SMU. So, KU would be a truly away game.

UNT and Kansas futures:

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/conf-usa/north-texas-mean-green.php

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/big-12/kansas-jayhawks.php

One of my neighbors is a KU grad (and, oddly enough, his wife is a Mizzou grad...good basketball rivalry marriage, no?), and I'm sure there are plenty in the DFW area who'd come out to see the Jayhawks.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Realistically, I bet that these schools will get mandated pretty soon to just play P5 schools only. We had a post recently about how Kansas is getting call left and right from SEC and ACC teams to play them since those conferences are trying to make their members play only P5 schools in OOC games.

If not, however, I think Kansas, Colorado, Mizzou, K-State, Okie State, and even Nebraska should be approached. For the Big XII schools, you schedule them a game in Denton when they play TCU at home, and for the former Big XII schools, they need the recruiting presence in Texas again, especially Colorado and Nebraska.

If not, however, I think Kansas, Colorado, Mizzou, K-State, Okie State, and even Nebraska should be approached. For the Big XII schools, you schedule them a game in Denton when they play TCU at home, and for the former Big XII schools, they need the recruiting presence in Texas again, especially Colorado and Nebraska.

Mizzou AD just came out a couple days ago and said they will never play a G5 team on the road again. They will only schedule P5 teams. SEC is about to make this part of their bylaws. The separation has begun.

They are already playing Arkansas every year at JerryWorld until the mid-2020s. No need for them to make two trips to DFW in a year. This is well-covered territory:

http://www.goodbullhunting.com/2013/9/25/4765530/texas-aggies-arkansas-razorbacks-arlington-stadium-tv-contract-jerryworld

Also, every Big 12 school plays every other year in Fort Worth with TCU now in the conference.

The only Big 12 team I've thought we could realistically approach is Kansas. They have a small recruiting pipeline to Texas, and I thought a home and home series with them might be a pretty good sell.

KU doesn't have an open spot for OOC games until 2018. Big 12 schools only have three OOCs. They play at TCU in odd number years.

In 2019 and 2020 they have a home and home series with Houston. In 2019, they will be in Texas twice, then: Houston and TCU.

If I were RV, I'd propose home and homes beginning in 2018 and try to go for six to ten years. But, if they are only willing to do two games, I'd go for 2018 here and 2019 there. It fits both of our schedules. Our only away game in 2019, thusfar, is SMU. So, KU would be a truly away game.

UNT and Kansas futures:

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/conf-usa/north-texas-mean-green.php

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/big-12/kansas-jayhawks.php

One of my neighbors is a KU grad (and, oddly enough, his wife is a Mizzou grad...good basketball rivalry marriage, no?), and I'm sure there are plenty in the DFW area who'd come out to see the Jayhawks.

I guess you missed that A&M plays at SMU this year in a 31k seat stadium.

Not surprised.

Kansas is really no better than Army or SMU. How about a P5 that has football success every now and then? That sure would be nice.

I mean, SMU does it...

Edited by UNT90
  • Downvote 1

Mizzou AD just came out a couple days ago and said they will never play a G5 team on the road again. They will only schedule P5 teams. SEC is about to make this part of their bylaws. The separation has begun.

Yeah, the SEC and ACC have made it clear that those games are not going to get played out of their home stadiums anymore. They might play one in a neutral site game like Ole Miss did this year against Boise State in Atlanta, but they aren't going to play anymore of those on the road. The days of Wake Forest losing at podunk ULM are gone.

I bet within 5 years, the P5s will only be playing P5s, while the G5 will play each other. I do expect the G5 to expand greatly with other FCS programs moving upward, so that pool of schools will be grow to be bigger than the current 5 G5 leagues. I suspect another league or two from the current FCS could move up, such as the Big Sky and the Southern Conference.

If they aren't willing to do home and home series... i believe that the G5 schools should simply start asking for double the pay. No more of these silly 1 million dollar games. If they are going to treat all of G5 that way and still want us to play only at their stadium, make 'em really pay for it.

• Upvote 1

I bet within 5 years, the P5s will only be playing P5s, while the G5 will play each other. I do expect the G5 to expand greatly with other FCS programs moving upward, so that pool of schools will be grow to be bigger than the current 5 G5 leagues. I suspect another league or two from the current FCS could move up, such as the Big Sky and the Southern Conference.

No one else is moving into the G5 level from the FCS. A handful of P5 teams will be "demoted" down to G5.

There is X amount of money for the G5 to share. Y teams will end up at the G5 level. No teams in the FCS will be able to generate more than (X/Y) money, so bringing them in will just dilute everyone's share. A team kicked out of the the P5, like an Iowa St, has a chance to generate more than (X/Y), so they will be accepted into the new G5 level.

No one else is moving into the G5 level from the FCS. A handful of P5 teams will be "demoted" down to G5.

There is X amount of money for the G5 to share. Y teams will end up at the G5 level. No teams in the FCS will be able to generate more than (X/Y) money, so bringing them in will just dilute everyone's share. A team kicked out of the the P5, like an Iowa St, has a chance to generate more than (X/Y), so they will be accepted into the new G5 level.

I think you have a good point about those FCS move-ups AFTER the P5 split away for good, but before then, there will be some more FCS teams move up, like Appy State, Georgia Southern, and Georgia State recently have done, as well as Old Dominion, Charlotte, and South Alabama. I'm sure Montana, Montana State, Eastern Washington, North Dakota State, Sam Houston, and Youngstown State are probably looking at this reality to get up to the G5 level before that happens to get their hands on that money.

I guess you missed that A&M plays at SMU this year in a 31k seat stadium.

Not surprised.

Kansas is really no better than Army or SMU. How about a P5 that has football success every now and then? That sure would be nice.

I mean, SMU does it...

That game is the last of a four game series agreed to before A&M jumped to the SEC and signed an agreement to play Arkansas in Arlington until 2024: http://www.ponyfans.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23794&start=0

In 2006/2007, when the contract was signed, A&M wasn't playing in the DFW area regularly, as they had been during the SWC years. They have a huge alumni base in DFW. They were falling further behind OU and Texas for recruits and needed back into Dallas.

Why am I having to explain this? Did you seriously think A&M agreed to the SMU series AFTER they joined SEC and signed the Arkansas/JerryWorld contract?

You can pretty plainly see that A&M has no other DFW school (us/TCU/SMU) scheduled past 2014. They've talked Arizona State into a game at Reliant in 2015 and will play Rice in 2019. But, that makes sense because they have a heavy alumni and recruiting presence in Houston as well.

Again, they have no reason to come up here as long as they are already playing Arkansas. And, we have no reason to go down there.

That game is the last of a four game series agreed to before A&M jumped to the SEC and signed an agreement to play Arkansas in Arlington until 2024: http://www.ponyfans.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23794&start=0

In 2006/2007, when the contract was signed, A&M wasn't playing in the DFW area regularly, as they had been during the SWC years. They have a huge alumni base in DFW. They were falling further behind OU and Texas for recruits and needed back into Dallas.

Why am I having to explain this? Did you seriously think A&M agreed to the SMU series AFTER they joined SEC and signed the Arkansas/JerryWorld contract?

You can pretty plainly see that A&M has no other DFW school (us/TCU/SMU) scheduled past 2014. They've talked Arizona State into a game at Reliant in 2015 and will play Rice in 2019. But, that makes sense because they have a heavy alumni and recruiting presence in Houston as well.

Again, they have no reason to come up here as long as they are already playing Arkansas. And, we have no reason to go down there.

Kansas isn't the answer. Not even close to the marque type of game that UNT needs. If you really feel Mac is building this program into something, give this team a shot at home against someone that matters.

Of course, that can't be done until 2016, and that is only if that P5 agrees to play here first and allow us to return the game in 2018.

We are probably out of time and will be relegated to second division status, but there is no reason to give up without a fight.

SMU ain't gonna fill up Apogee, even with perfect weather and a 6pm kickoff. Those of you holding onto this fantasy need to let it go. They bring no one and are only relevant to the 40 something alumni that remember them from the SWC and find some imaginary ax to grind with them. I'd love to see this series limited to 3 more years, but since this is the "crown jewel" of the RV scheduling "plan", that buyout will never happen.

Everyone schedules better than us.

Everyone.

• Downvote 8

Kansas isn't the answer. Not even close to the marque type of game that UNT needs. If you really feel Mac is building this program into something, give this team a shot at home against someone that matters.

Of course, that can't be done until 2016, and that is only if that P5 agrees to play here first and allow us to return the game in 2018.

We are probably out of time and will be relegated to second division status, but there is no reason to give up without a fight.

SMU ain't gonna fill up Apogee, even with perfect weather and a 6pm kickoff. Those of you holding onto this fantasy need to let it go. They bring no one and are only relevant to the 40 something alumni that remember them from the SWC and find some imaginary ax to grind with them. I'd love to see this series limited to 3 more years, but since this is the "crown jewel" of the RV scheduling "plan", that buyout will never happen.

Everyone schedules better than us.

Everyone.

We have a difference of philosophy. I want us to build UNT the way Kansas State was built by Bill Snyder. That means not scheduling game we are more likely to lose. And, it means more OOC games at home in September.

If we never played Texas A&M, Texas, Oklahoma, or LSU again, I'd be fine. Be realistic about who will come here by also looking at their schedules and recruiting needs.

The draw of Kansas - or, even Iowa State - would be the lure of Texas recruits. I simply use Kansas instead of Iowa State because I've run into far more Kansas grads down here throughout my life than Iowa State grads.

• Upvote 4

We have a difference of philosophy. I want us to build UNT the way Kansas State was built by Bill Snyder. That means not scheduling game we are more likely to lose. And, it means more OOC games at home in September.

If we never played Texas A&M, Texas, Oklahoma, or LSU again, I'd be fine. Be realistic about who will come here by also looking at their schedules and recruiting needs.

The draw of Kansas - or, even Iowa State - would be the lure of Texas recruits. I simply use Kansas instead of Iowa State because I've run into far more Kansas grads down here throughout my life than Iowa State grads.

There are A LOT of Kansas grads in the DFW area.

In one of the podcasts, RV stated that he really doesn't want a Texas A&M type team to come to Denton. RV needs to play one money game away each season. Having an "opportunity" game in Denton means having two of those types of games in one season. RV doesn't want to do that.

Question: If the P5's can make all of their own rules and eventually only play each other, can the G5's make their own rules so they have their own playoff system?