UNT QB

GreenTexan13

Greer did exactly what was asked of him,...and that was to manage the game and not turn the ball over. Nothing more, nothing less. He's only going to get better at reading D's, going further into his checks and finding the open guy and getting him the ball.

I swear, some of you folks think QB'ing is as easy as making instant oatmeal or something.

Rick

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

Go back and look at DTs stats from 2011, his first full season. There are a lot of 10-20, 11-22 games in there, even a 2-7 game in a blowout win. Look at 2012, more of the same, 8-21, 11-24,12-28, 17-29 to name just a few. And not to mention plenty of picks sprinkled in there.

Look at what he did in most of our wins last season. He threw over 275 yds twice in all our wins. Our biggest victory last season against Rice. 7-13 104 yds 1td 1int.

We didn't have a QB lighting the world on fire last season and ended up ok. But I'm Amazed at the people about a QB going 9-12 for 86 yds in just a half of football. 18-24 for 172 over an entire game.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

DW went in with the North Texas 3's and 4's to do mop up work on a totally beat down $MU team. That is it. That is all DW will have,

is mop up work assignments. And that is being generous for playing time.

If you do not like JG, then go to the man directly, Coach Mac, and Coach Canales, to vent your opinions on JG, instead of making degrading

statements about JG here on GMG.

That comment didn't have a single Josh Greer in it.
  • Upvote 1

I'm with firefightnRick, his improvement was very good. He did exactly what McCarney wants, for the most part he threw the ball were it would be very difficult to intercept. He still looks too tentative, but that should improve with experience. Frankly, I am not going to criticize any pass that was complete, I don't care how it looks or what the receiver had to do to receive it. My biggest complain was that he unlike Thompson held the ball too long when he couldn't find an open receiver.

As an aside, I would find some place for Williams on the field. Maybe the wildcat or as a receiver or on the return teams.

I hope not. He is even worse than Greer :/

I agree with you, but naming a starter came down to the wire, so MiniMac must be nipping at Greer's heels in the coaches eyes.

If Greer is the clear #1 (which i still dont think we've seen enough from him to say that) DW should be the clear #2, IMO.

NS_06untsmu23_39633041_669276.JPG

From Vito's blog:

“I made big strides. The game slowed down a lot for me. I felt a lot more comfortable back there.”

– UNT quarterback Josh Greer, who bounced back from a 2-for-11 performance for eight yards in a loss to Texas to complete 9 of his 12 attempts for 86 yards in a win over SMU

Also: – This was expected, but Josh Greer has been named UNT’s starter for the Mean Green’s game against Louisiana Tech. UNT’s coaches thought he took a dramatic step forward during the Mean Green’s win over SMU when compared to his outing in a season-opening loss to Texas....

-- UNT offensive coordinator Mike Canales said Greer easily could have doubled his yardage total if he had played the whole game and had a chance to throw the ball a little more."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/unt-mean-green/20140908-unt-quarterback-josh-greer-i-made-big-strides-in-blowout-win-against-smu.ece

I think a LOT of the "game slowed down" part was due to the lame opponent. :P

La Tech will be a better test from a more moderate opponent. Do well against them and I'm sold.

TV announcers made note that Greer is still too focused now on a primary receiver and not seeing other options yet. While staring at and then throwing to a right-side receiver for a short gain he missed a wide open, uncovered Jimmerson out of the backfield on the left side for a sure TD in one series.

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Greer did have a few passes that were pretty awesome and I think after this confidence booster (SMU beat down 2014) and a couple of more he will be just what we need. He just needs some more playing. Still the best option in our mind. Although, I would like to see him with a little Dajon mixed in to give us a different aspect to our game, if needed.

• Upvote 1

The QB situation is really questionable!! I think coach Mac will surprise us in the next few weeks regarding QB position. The reason I'm telling y'all that is because i was at Rudy's last monday after the loss to the longhorns, somebody asked the coach if there is a chance for DW to play at SMU game and coach Mac said no way he is going to play because he is not committed to practice and some other issues, yet he gave him a chance at the game!!

thoughts??????

GMG

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Greer did exactly what was asked of him,...and that was to manage the game and not turn the ball over. Nothing more, nothing less. He's only going to get better at reading D's, going further into his checks and finding the open guy and getting him the ball.

I swear, some of you folks think QB'ing is as easy as making instant oatmeal or something.

Rick

I still think Greer was mediocre at best on Saturday. He had a lot of passes that were off the mark and the receivers made a great play to come up with that catch (look at Terrell's diving grab). Maybe I will hop back on the Greer bandwagon when he throws for a crowd pleasing 100 yards in a game.

As hard as it is to nitpick a 43-6 win over a rival we still have a lot we can improve on offensively. We had to settle for 5 field goals in the game. Luckily it didn't hurt us in this game, but having drives stall out like that could really hurt us in the future. I think better QB play would have extended most, if not all, of the drives.

#BeatLaTech #Hit30k

• Upvote 1

Based on Mac, DW needs to mature quite a bit. Once he does that, nothing should hold him back. Greer looks tentative, stares his receivers down and does not throw well on the move. He obviously has talent, he just needs confidence.

The statement on Greer is absolutely dead-on. He stares down his receivers and in the process, misses open ones. There was a play that his WR was bracketed up and the pass was incomplete. Had Greer done a check-down, he would've seen Jimmerson get open, where not a single SMU defender was looking.

Greer might've gotten away with that sort of thing in JuCO ball, but he should really get it in his head that won't work in FBS/D1 football. He's gonna need to make completions so the coaches can open the playbook and so the running game will be more successful. FGs won't always be enough.

Edited by meangreendork
  • Upvote 1

When you bring in a juco player, you hope you are getting more than a true freshman. Someone with experience and maturity. Someone that is ready to play.

We missed with berklund, and now we missed

With Greer. im not saying he wont be good in the future, but you bring in a juco to prevent rebuilding and so you wont have to go through growing pains.

Greer is learning on the job. The juco experience adds nothing. We are pretty much teaching a brand new qb like he is straight out of high school.

in the end, I hope it pays off. If not, the time we are investing in him and even mcnulty could have went to means or dajon.

How much time?

4 games? 5?

He has 2 full ganes under his belt. If he hasn't settled down by now, odds are really good that he never will.

First series against UT? Ok. Hell, the whole first quarter against UT? Somewhat understandable. 2 games?

Please.

Well, he has really only played the equivalent of about 1 game hasn't he?

This is why DW should start on Thursday...

Not including DW's only possession we had the ball 13 times. We started drives on SMU's 14, 31, 31, and 21. We started drives on our own 42, 44, 49, and 43. Eight of our 13 offensive possessions (excluding the one DW drive) we started our drive in stupid good field position. Our touchdown drives in this game (not including DW's poss) was of 14 and 21 yards. Our FG drives were of 31, 25, 26, 27, and 52 yards (which was the longest drive of the game not including DW's poss, 68 yards). With 5 takeaways we still managed to punt the ball FIVE times, of which all were 3 and outs except for one. The lonesome punt that wasn't 3 & out was a 7 play 28 yard drive. So when we had to start a drive in "normal" field position our only other 5 possessions, we punted. On DW's only drive he went 1 for 1 on 3rd down. Our other two QB's managed to go 5 for 15, 33% conversion (on the year 8 for 31 on 3rd down). Our 2 passing QB's of the game went 12-17 for 108 yards and had an average QB rating of 32.6. Our coaches trust these QB's so much more than DW that they ran the ball 55 times compared to 17 pass attempts. That's 76% rushing plays. That will NOT work against a competent defense, ever. Yes, it's easy for us to say that running the football was working, right? But was it really? Take away Erick Evans 53 yard td run in garbage time we had an average ypc of 3.5. This offense is concerning, very concerning. Offenses, even running ones, start and stop with the QB. Regardless of what people think of DW or what high regard you may hold Greer in, our best QB on this roster is a 3rd stringer. All of these numbers were against a pretty soft defense too. They have 2 guys on that D that brings the wood in Yenga and Mortes. The rest are pillow soft. I will probably get bashed for this post, but the numbers are right there. I didn't create them, I just typed them. GMG

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I still think Greer was mediocre at best on Saturday. He had a lot of passes that were off the mark and the receivers made a great play to come up with that catch (look at Terrell's diving grab). Maybe I will hop back on the Greer bandwagon when he throws for a crowd pleasing 100 yards in a game.

As hard as it is to nitpick a 43-6 win over a rival we still have a lot we can improve on offensively. We had to settle for 5 field goals in the game. Luckily it didn't hurt us in this game, but having drives stall out like that could really hurt us in the future. I think better QB play would have extended most, if not all, of the drives.

#BeatLaTech #Hit30k

LOL!!!! I'm sorry, I'm not laughing at your statement, I'm laughing at myself because I know the path you and so many new posters like you are headed down.

Please allow me to help you just a bit. It might save you some hair from being pulled out.

The sooner you come to the understanding that those field goals are just as much pin point targets for success in this system as a TD is,... the sooner you will be able to relax and enjoy the game a bit more. I was where you are during the Dickey era. I expected us to be Louisville, Oregon, Texas Tech, Florida St,.. throwing the ball all over the place,.. scoring at will etc. We weren't those offenses then and we won't be now. Mac is DD Part II. Like the Buick Offense, Mac now runs a Mercury. Like The Buick, The Mercury is perfectly happy to win 3-0 games as long as we do three points successfully ....

1)Stop The Run,....2)Run and Grind and Hold Onto The Ball....2)Play Solid Defense and Special Teams.

That's it. That's all there is.

A 3-0 win with the QB going 8-12 for 90 yards and a score is considered as good and just as successful in this system as a 65-0 win where the QB throws 38-42 for 500 yards and 6 TD's.

I know it's frustrating, but I and many of us here have been here already and know that to a point, this system can be successful against teams not prepared to play at the same level of physicality. It's just the style of ball we play. So save yourself the frustration and get used to it. It's a Mercury. It's not nearly as flashy as a Mustang....but by God it'll get you there!

Rick

• Upvote 3

...Mac is DD Part II. Like the Buick Offense, Mac now runs a Mercury. Like The Buick, The Mercury is perfectly happy to win 3-0 games as long as we do three points successfully ....

Rick, make up your mind! On Saturday you said he was a Pontiac!

Personally, I'd say he's a Chevy. :)

There is no room for error in this kind of football. We are playing this kind of football because the talent level at the QB position. In our 2 games at this point our 2 QB's are 15-34 123 yds 0 TD 4 INT, QBR 16.3, negative 52 yards rushing (-33 yards if you count DW's 19 yd run v SMU), 14 punts. Rushing the football 76% of the time will not win many games, neither will these numbers at QB. Rock and a hard spot is the saying I think.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On any passing play, there is always a receiver that is wide open, but yet, the QB does not see the wide open receiver.

I have seen missed opportunities with many North Texas QB's over the seasons from QB's like Jordan Case, Scott Hall,

to name a couple of QB's that turned out pretty darn good.

Coaches review game film, review open receivers, receivers that were covered, and other options on the play with the QB's.

The coaches break down game film, then review and teach the players/QB's on how to make the play work better.

In practice, the Coaches, QB's, and WR's work on the missed pass opportunities, and passing routes, to improve their play for the next game.

Dork, call up Coach Canales yourself and tell Coach Canales how you can coach QB's, and explain that Greer can not get away with JUCO ball at the D1 level.

Tell Coach Canales that Greer needs to make pass completions to open up the play book. Get that point in Canales's head first, then Greer's head second.

I am sure Coach Canales would appreciate your personal input on how you can coach QB's and WR's.

Like i said, you and other MG arm chair coaches, should call up coach Canales direct. Give Canales your what for about Greer, and your advice on coaching QB's. When you call up Canales, you should also call Coach Mac too. Tell coach Mac how good you are at evaluating QB's and coaching QB's.

Tell Coach Mac you should be the OC!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

On any passing play, there is always a receiver that is wide open, but yet, the QB does not see the wide open receiver.

I have seen missed opportunities with many North Texas QB's over the seasons from QB's like Jordan Case, Scott Hall,

to name a couple of QB's that turned out pretty darn good.

Coaches review game film, review open receivers, receivers that were covered, and other options on the play with the QB's.

The coaches break down game film, then review and teach the players/QB's on how to make the play work better.

In practice, the Coaches, QB's, and WR's work on the missed pass opportunities, and passing routes, to improve their play for the next game.

Dork, call up Coach Canales yourself and tell Coach Canales how you can coach QB's, and explain that Greer can not get away with JUCO ball at the D1 level.

Tell Coach Canales that Greer needs to make pass completions to open up the play book. Get that point in Canales's head first, then Greer's head second.

I am sure Coach Canales would appreciate your personal input on how you can coach QB's and WR's.

Like i said, you and other MG arm chair coaches, should call up coach Canales direct. Give Canales your what for about Greer, and your advice on coaching QB's. When you call up Canales, you should also call Coach Mac too. Tell coach Mac how good you are at evaluating QB's and coaching QB's.

Tell Coach Mac you should be the OC!

Typical case of killing the messenger. I am just reading the stats for what they are. Not claiming to be the next George Whitfield. Just reading stats. I am not bad mouthing either QB personally or athletically, just reading the stats. And the stats are bad, really bad. Not just from a QB perspective, but from an offensive perspective. It might be the ugliest 43 points I have ever seen. Florida's 2012 team v SC is a close 2nd. It's funny because 2012 Florida's offense and our O this year has a lot of similarities. I DVR'd the game last night that was replayed in the middle of the night. I happen to be off work today and skimmed through it this morning. Y'all are going to like DW's 19 yard run. He can lower his shoulder pretty nicely for 6'3" 200 lbs. La Tech is in 2 days and we'll see how it plays out. GMG, beat LaTech.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

LOL!!!! I'm sorry, I'm not laughing at your statement, I'm laughing at myself because I know the path you and so many new posters like you are headed down.

Please allow me to help you just a bit. It might save you some hair from being pulled out.

The sooner you come to the understanding that those field goals are just as much pin point targets for success in this system as a TD is,... the sooner you will be able to relax and enjoy the game a bit more. I was where you are during the Dickey era. I expected us to be Louisville, Oregon, Texas Tech, Florida St,.. throwing the ball all over the place,.. scoring at will etc. We weren't those offenses then and we won't be now. Mac is DD Part II. Like the Buick Offense, Mac now runs a Mercury. Like The Buick, The Mercury is perfectly happy to win 3-0 games as long as we do three points successfully ....

1)Stop The Run,....2)Run and Grind and Hold Onto The Ball....2)Play Solid Defense and Special Teams.

A 3-0 win with the QB going 8-12 for 90 yards and a score is considered as good and just as successful in this system as a 65-0 win where the QB throws 38-42 for 500 yards and 6 TD's.

I know it's frustrating, but I and many of us here have been here already and know that to a point, this system can be successful against teams not prepared to play at the same level of physicality. It's just the style of ball we play. So save yourself the frustration and get used to it. It's a Mercury. It's not nearly as flashy as a Mustang....but by God it'll get you there!

Rick

Remember how everyone was excited last year when the coaching staff said after the Spring 2013 game that they were going to "open up the offense?"

LOL.

That meant going with a jet sweep instead of an off-tackle dive.

It is clearly apparent that the coaches do not trust the QB position. Hopefully we see improved play from the QBs (whoever they may be) and that changes. If not, well, remember the year we had the last time we beat SMU in Denton? We may be in for a repeat.

Rick

I completely agree that all that matters is the W. My point is that you can't rely on your kicker to go 5 for 5 every game. We move the ball great between the 30's but then we stall out. If that trends keeps up it WILL comeback to bite us.

I enjoyed the hell out of Saturday, but looking back on it there are areas we still need to improve a lot.

Edited by meangreen15