We were the Death Knell: June Jones resigns.

I think Mac wants to stick with North Texas so that he has a chance at writing a lasting legacy. Yes, he'd also give up a shot at retirement benefits if I'm not mistaken, since it's been under 5 years. Unless they offered boatloads of money I doubt he'd say yes. But there are plenty of bog names floating around in need of a job, and plenty more that would probably move to Dallas.

On Ponyfans, they are really talking up Jim Tressel and Rick Neuheisel. Yes, Tressel still has to serve a 5 game suspension and can't coach in post season till 2017 but they really don't care!

Wow Tressell would be perfect for SMU! That vest belongs on The Hilltop,

On Ponyfans, they are really talking up Jim Tressel and Rick Neuheisel. Yes, Tressel still has to serve a 5 game suspension and can't coach in post season till 2017 but they really don't care!

Wow Tressell would be perfect for SMU! That vest belongs on The Hilltop,

I don't think it is a good thing for NT. SMU will throw a ton of money at someone. They aren't going to get a top level coach, but they will have plenty of candidates. I doubt they have any interest in McCarney, but do you really think he would turn down a 300% raise?

My guest is someone is putting up a lot of money to get Jones to "retire" and they are not doing that to hire someone off the street.

Those delusional phonyPans probably think this is the chance Kevin Sumlin has been waiting for.

That made me LOL. They are funny guys.

I think they would go after Leavitt, and that might actually be a good hire.

As to us being the death knell, maybe we can start playing the Imperial March again....

I bet SMU is going to call up Mac..

then RV is going to have to re-up the amount of Grey Goose in Mac's deal

Nah, Benford will just take over as interm coach.

RV will cite Benford's pregame UT speech as proof that Benford is the right hire. Well, that and the impressive binder that Benford put together on how to consistently schedule 6 home game seasons in football.

• Upvote 1

I don't think it is a good thing for NT. SMU will throw a ton of money at someone.

How is that any different than the status quo when they threw $2.1 million a year at June Jones? They'll find someone whose name is big enough to justify that kind of salary, but who is small enough to be willing to coach there.

I don't think that McCarney fills that bill. He won't be impressive enough to them because they're not impressed with anything achieved at UNT.

I would be concerned as to who they hire to replace him...

Bruce Feldman ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB 2m

#SMU is a VERY attractive job. Good resources. Great city..Will have many top candidates. Plus lots of excellent coaches have TX roots.

I've heard this when Forrest Gregg got hired. I heard the same thing when they hired Phil Bennett. At this point, I don't think it really matters anymore. They have bigger problems that money cannot fix. They have no fans, even when they have been decent. They don't play anyone their alumni want to go watch anymore, except for the old SWC teams they get in OOC. When the P5 split away, they are going to be done--I'm convinced of it. The Death Penalty at a small private school with strict admissions was just too much to overcome.