UNT 6.5 point favorite against La Tech

Harry

Tech fan here. Thought i would come here and update the 2014 Bulldogs team.

This is not last years team.

Offense

Dixon was injured last year in the Lamar game and was not the same, this year he is back. The running game is opened up by the passing game and this year we have a QB that makes good throws and quick receivers. Think Carlos Harris aka water bug but times 4 cause we got a lot of small quick receivers. OL is the biggest improvement. Pass protection has been great but we are a little slow in the running game. So far we have handled the ball well and haven't had a turnover. If that continues we will score some points.

Defense

We are a little undersized but quick and tackle well. You will get some good runs but if you have some negative plays i think we hold UNT to under 28. Our D really tries to force turnovers, if we don't blitz we run a zone that seems to work.

Special teams

Blah, we have 2 kickers that are both pretty damn good and a decent punter. We do have some issues with field goal blocking. Have already had 3 blocked kicks. Coverage has been good.

I think the spread is correct. We have played 1 good game in our last 14 so i feel confident if we play well we will have a chance to win. If we revert to conservative play calling we will lose.

Tech has sold out its allotment of tickets so should be a good crowd for the dogs.

Winner has a leg up in the west so we know this is a huge game.

Welcome aboard! Going to be a good game Thursday

• Upvote 1

So if you haven't learned the playbook and a play is signaled in that you haven't bothered to study or haven't practiced, what do you do then? Maybe you should have studied the playbook and ran the play in practice. This isn't sandlot football where you draw a play in the dirt and then improvise as needed.

• Upvote 2

That's great if you know the playbook. What sucks is when you can't execute them. If knowing the playbook was a big time criteria to be QB1 then McNulty would have been the guy from day 1. Talent wins football games, not a playbook.

And if being "more athletic" was the main criteria Michael Vick would be better than Peyton Manning.

• Upvote 2

That's great if you know the playbook. What sucks is when you can't execute them. If knowing the playbook was a big time criteria to be QB1 then McNulty would have been the guy from day 1. Talent wins football games, not a playbook.

Have you ever led any team/organization in your life?

I like DW too, but to let his abilities become more important than McCarney's system/team policies could possibly destroy team chemistry or put Mac's authority in question.

I'm very aware that a best-case scenario might play out: DW leads us to a win and Coach says "eff it" and crowns him starter and the team embraces everything. It's a risk that is up to Coach Mac, so you have to ask yourself: does Mac strike you as a guy who takes risks? I think we all know the answer...

• Upvote 2

Yeah, this felt like a trap game to me but I didn't want to say anything. Short week, right in the middle of OOC schedule, in between the SMU blowout and Nicholls State tune-up game. I really hope they stay fired up for this one.

In a short week, we have the advantage of being at home (both in the game itself and the preceeding game). LaTech is coming to Denton immediately following a road game in Lafayette. In 2013, the Tulane loss was on the road and the team had yet to overcome the long-standing road issues having lost already in Athens, OH & Athens, GA.

By no means do I expect this to be an easy victory but I see advantages on the side of the Mean Green and trust our staff and players to not make waste of those.

• Upvote 1

this game smells a lot like Tulane 2013...

I would agree... except this game is at Apogee. Gotta get this win at home.

Also, Tulane was awful and had not beaten anyone worthwhile before we played them last year, so it was easy to look past them. We did, and got beat.

LATech took SBC-favorite LA-La to the woodshed. That opened my eyes. I certainly hope our guys aren't overlooking them.