UNT 6.5 point favorite against La Tech

Harry

La. Tech has had a similar beginning to their season as us:

First week: pounded by a traditional Big 12 power, OU, 48-16, a game the Sooner led 41-3 before their third teamers allowed to fourth quarter TDs to the Bulldogs.

Second week: pounded an in-state rival, Louisiana, in a game that was supposed to be closer than the final 48-20 margin of victory.

Some here have already commented that Lousiana Tech was able to score on OU. Tap the breaks. They scored on OU long after the game was in hand. They had 191 yards all night, 125 on their two touchdown drives last in the third quarter/early fourth quarter, then 8 more on another failed drive in the fourth.

So, 133 of their 191 yards came after OU was up 41-3 and was basically throwing young bodies in there.

This will be an interesting match-up to be sure. SMU couldn't handle the run. Don't know whether La. Tech can either. OU's new starting trio punctured them for 157 yards on 33 carries. Louisiana's starting back got 76 yards on only 12 carries.

The difference will again be in the trenches. La. Tech's front seven has more experience overall than SMU's did. I think this will be the down and dirty, close game everyone thought the SMU affair would be.

It'll be our backs versus their front seven against their star runner Kenneth Dixon versus our front seven. I think we can scrap out a win here...barring any major contributors being arrested for shoplifting at Wal-Mart this week. Most coaches will tell their players to avoid the bars and clubs. McCarney is having to tell his players to avoid Wal-Mart. Crazy.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Excellent breakdown TFLF.

Definitely a game to be won in the trenches. Their Defensive Line was pretty stout last year. The kid named "I.K." played havoc during the first half, and they had 4 tackles who were stout in the middle. We eventually wore them down, but it was certainly not a 'comfortable win'.

Looking at the forecast, it may be pretty wet come game time. 3 yards and a cloud of wet rubber beads could be the theme...

I too think it will be a close game.

Good news is that our new FG kicker looks to be good from as far away as 50yd.

Our DB's look to be good enough to cover anyone allowing the Chad Polks and Jarrian Roberts of the world to get solid pressure on the QB. I think this game comes down to both teams trying to impose their will by running the ball.

• Upvote 2

We've gotta open up the passing game more against this team. They'll be bringing more talent than what we saw Saturday. SMU was a very, very, bad team.

For sure, this is a game where this kid Greer is going to have to make the play action viable. Louisiana has had very good teams since Mark Hudspeth took over. But, La. Tech simply manhandled them.

Tech's back Dixon is awfully good. We are deep there. If the run game offenses versus run game defenses are a draw, it'll either be special teams or one of the QBs becoming the hero. And, boy, our special teams do look very good out there...or, was it Deion, Jr's stupidity making us look better than we really were?

My other concern is that, mentally, the team might have spent all of their emotion on the SMU game. Although OU crushed them, the game against Lousiana shows that we can't sleepwalk through La. Tech. They need to keep that pre-SMU demeanor for the Bulldogs.

D is too good for La Tech. I said that North Texas would run 50+ times versus SMwho bc their DL looked ultra soft v Baylor. They did just that. La Tech has a sturdier front 7, but I expect 40+ rushing attempts in this game. Holes will start opening before halftime. But my God I hope DW starts. He is the no brainer better player and poses as a legitimate threat. For the naysayers, tell me ONE thing that Greer/McNulty has done that DW can't do? That's where I'm torn apart. DW can run the current offense, but adds a different dimension. GMG

• Downvote 2

And, boy, our special teams do look very good out there...or, was it Deion, Jr's stupidity making us look better than we really were?

Hard to say, but I learned quickly not to miss any punts or kickoffs on Saturday! That was awesome!

Yeah. Woo?

Tech fan here. Thought i would come here and update the 2014 Bulldogs team.

This is not last years team.

Offense

Dixon was injured last year in the Lamar game and was not the same, this year he is back. The running game is opened up by the passing game and this year we have a QB that makes good throws and quick receivers. Think Carlos Harris aka water bug but times 4 cause we got a lot of small quick receivers. OL is the biggest improvement. Pass protection has been great but we are a little slow in the running game. So far we have handled the ball well and haven't had a turnover. If that continues we will score some points.

Defense

We are a little undersized but quick and tackle well. You will get some good runs but if you have some negative plays i think we hold UNT to under 28. Our D really tries to force turnovers, if we don't blitz we run a zone that seems to work.

Special teams

Blah, we have 2 kickers that are both pretty damn good and a decent punter. We do have some issues with field goal blocking. Have already had 3 blocked kicks. Coverage has been good.

I think the spread is correct. We have played 1 good game in our last 14 so i feel confident if we play well we will have a chance to win. If we revert to conservative play calling we will lose.

Tech has sold out its allotment of tickets so should be a good crowd for the dogs.

Winner has a leg up in the west so we know this is a huge game.

• Upvote 6