Final Thoughts on My Week Here

malonish

Thanks for coming out,glad you enjoyed Denton. My cousin is a redshirt freshman for you guys (Chad Pursley,o-line) and my dad's best friend played for you guys back in the good old days... Was sending him updates throughout the game and he wants JJ gone as well. Looking forward to the series throughout the years, see you next year in Dallas!

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes
  • Upvote 2

Thanks for coming out,glad you enjoyed Denton. My cousin is a redshirt freshman for you guys (Chad Pursley,o-line) and my dad's best friend played for you guys back in the good old days... Was sending him updates throughout the game and he wants JJ gone as well. Looking forward to the series throughout the years, see you next year in Dallas!

I hope a similar sentiment is felt by the Green fans about our campus. I'm thinking no one S-talked me at the game because of my limp. Thanks knee problems :D

• Upvote 1

I hope a similar sentiment is felt by the Green fans about our campus. I'm thinking no one S-talked me at the game because of my limp. Thanks knee problems :D

Nah, all just friendly competition. I work across from SMU and live close, it's a very beautiful campus. My dad's friend said he loved this game when he was a player so I'm glad it's back again.

• Upvote 1

Hi guys,

I think the stadium was nice. Had a good breeze. Good fan noise. Good band (used the numbers well. Tech band had that many and were quiet).

Now, actual game thoughts :(

June Jones is not an offensive guru. He has not had a QB play a snap in a regular season NFL game either. I thank every team that defends well for exposing

him as the fraud he is and while I don't like to lose, it's one more nail in his coffin. The kids on any football team don't deserve the sack of potatoes coaching

philosophy. (Trivia- Peruna is Potato in Finnish. Fitting.)

Like I said, I enjoyed the stadium. It was easy enough to limp through since I am post knee surgery by ~1 month. Tailgate was good too.

My best friend, UNT grad, will be attending more games. I got to meet THE Christopher Walker on the way out. You can't not see that beard.

P.S. I never said UNT was bad so be nice :D

UArise-JuneJones.jpg

^ About to get more lonely and depressing for him

Bring a few thousand with ya next time, will ya? We'll certainly reciprocate.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, only disappointment for me was the lack of SMU visitors. I guess my overall opinion of SMU folks is that I've known a few who are as fine as can be, and one who was rude to me. I've decided, in the time in takes to type this, to let that one negative experience go. Looking forward to some excellent game day experiences.

• Upvote 1

Hi guys,

I think the stadium was nice. Had a good breeze. Good fan noise. Good band (used the numbers well. Tech band had that many and were quiet).

Now, actual game thoughts :(

June Jones is not an offensive guru. He has not had a QB play a snap in a regular season NFL game either. I thank every team that defends well for exposing

him as the fraud he is and while I don't like to lose, it's one more nail in his coffin. The kids on any football team don't deserve the sack of potatoes coaching

philosophy. (Trivia- Peruna is Potato in Finnish. Fitting.)

Like I said, I enjoyed the stadium. It was easy enough to limp through since I am post knee surgery by ~1 month. Tailgate was good too.

My best friend, UNT grad, will be attending more games. I got to meet THE Christopher Walker on the way out. You can't not see that beard.

P.S. I never said UNT was bad so be nice :D

UArise-JuneJones.jpg

^ About to get more lonely and depressing for him :D

Been a pleasure having you here. You guys should have gotten rid of Jones when he tried to bail on you. Nothing good could have come after that.

See you next fall for our "alternative site home game" at your place. We have a recent history if turning out more fans for Dallas games than Denton games, so expect a buttload of us to show up.

• Upvote 2

June Jones is a good coach. From what I understand, recruiting and environment seem to be the problem for SMU...? You are already branded (us, not so much) and most households who watch football know who you are (us, not so much).

At this point- where are you going to find a better coach? I'm sure you guys can hire recruiting department and better HR personnel. You can change your coach and and coaching staffs, ( and maybe it is just that time for a change ) but that's not going to fix your biggest problem. This was a problem for us at the beginning of last year and seems to be the stark, obvious difference between our programs even before we played yesterday. And allow me to say this without being torn apart- As far as money and recruiting goes: SMU has had a clear edge. Looking at this liberally- there's no good reason why you guys were killed yesterday.

Except maybe this......

Your Fan base, your athletes and your coach seem to have no "hope". It was sad to see and easy to recognize. I know a few SMU players and they seemed defeated before they even touched the field yesterday. Recruits can smell this too. Sports is 60% mental. It impacts a game more than talent (at times).

<Ex- See Josh Greer versus UT>

And I don't mean to stereotype but if most of your students and Fanbase would get their heads out of their own waxed and bleached asses- maybe they would learn about loyalty that isn't only self-serving.

Edited by SSP
  • Upvote 5

June Jones is a good coach. From what I understand, recruiting and environment seem to be the problem for SMU...? You are already branded (us, not so much) and most households who watch football know who you are (us, not so much).

At this point- where are you going to find a better coach? I'm sure you guys can hire recruiting department and better HR personnel. You can change your coach and and coaching staffs, ( and maybe it is just that time for a change ) but that's not going to fix your biggest problem. This was a problem for us at the beginning of last year and seems to be the stark, obvious difference between our programs even before we played yesterday. And allow me to say this without being torn apart- As far as money and recruiting goes: SMU has had a clear edge. Looking at this liberally- there's no good reason why you guys were killed yesterday.

Except maybe this......

Your Fan base, your athletes and your coach seem to have no "hope". It was sad to see and easy to recognize. I know a few SMU players and they seemed defeated before they even touched the field yesterday. Recruits can smell this too. Sports is 60% mental. It impacts a game more than talent (at times).

And I don't mean to stereotype but if most of your students and Fanbase would get their heads out of their own waxed and bleached asses- maybe they would learn about loyalty that isn't only self-serving.

I like and agree with most of what you have to say.

HOWEVER....

I don't know if I agree with your "get their heads out of their own waxed and bleached asses" comment or not.

Hell, I am an old man - All I know is that we just grabbed our asses and hung on - I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about in terms of "waxed and bleached".

All I can say is it sounds damned painful!!!

GMG

• Upvote 1

Except maybe this......

The hope was there his first few years. Amazing buy in with fans, students, and admin. Then he went 1-11. He's now 6-33 versus teams with winning records at SMU.

That's not success... As far as recruiting, the academic standards for admission were relaxed so he could do his work where the previous coaches could

not attempt to bring in players near the NCAA minimum. He's used every excuse in the book to justify lack of effort recruiting. Did you know we don't have big enough meeting

rooms to recruit good players? I didn't but June let everyone know. Best was that our wide receivers were having trouble because of the... stadium lights. So, they had the height

of the lights changed. No changes in production but whatever Tiki is God. June Jones is not a good coach. A good coach takes responsibility for failures and doesn't pass the buck.

A good coach doesn't recruit for another school because he's trying to bail (SMU recruit committed to ASU having no visits or contact... hmmm). A good coach doesn't try to subvert

school traditions and do everything in his power to avoid wearing school colors. What would happen if your coach wore red to a game? Probably not good. The media is all over June's

D*** but I love pulling back the curtain for people when I can. UNT has a good coach that actually gives an S about the school he works for. Congrats on the win.

Re: Money- the old people funding his salary should know better but baffle me as to why they would accept mediocrity and let things regress back to post DP.