SMU fans having a cow.

Danish43

I don't usually check out other teams fan sites but some of those ponyfans have really said some despicable things about NT. Hope they are eating it up after the whipping we gave them. Some of those fan are just arrogant when it comes to NT.

Do they really believe that NT is on the other side of the tracks and not just in sports but academically?

Most of that is stubborn refusal to admit that going to SMU really is a waste of money. If you are academically elite and can afford SMU, you can also afford something better, like Ivy League, Rice or Stanford. If you are not academically elite but still college material, save the money and get the degree somewhere else and put the money saved on a house or something.

• Upvote 2

As a former Professor now back in my industry, I can tell you the academics from "State Schools" or "Community Colleges" are no less qualified than than ones at SMU and other private schools. Many full time academics, have part time jobs or vice versa at CC's and Universities. You don't have to spend a ton of cash on a private school to get an elite education. It's what you put into it and how you play the game. Period.

• Upvote 3

Most of that is stubborn refusal to admit that going to SMU really is a waste of money. If you are academically elite and can afford SMU, you can also afford something better, like Ivy League, Rice or Stanford. If you are not academically elite but still college material, save the money and get the degree somewhere else and put the money saved on a house or something.

a huge % of students are on scholarship /grants. Don't know why people keep insisting SMU alum have money, the majority of them dont. We can all run up credit card debt and live beyond our means but why would we want to? Edited by GreenMachine
  • Upvote 1

a huge % of students are on scholarship /grants. Don't know why people keep insisting SMU alum have money, the majority of them dont. We can all run up credit card debt and live beyond our means but why would we want to?

Yeah, around 70% are on financial aid of some sort, and the student body is pretty diverse. Many of the old stereotypes fit much better in the last century, and now the rich kid douchebags are in the minority for the most part. Not that they aren't still there and very visible of course.

• Upvote 2

SMU must give a degree in whining or bad sportsmanship. I'm tired of hearing the excuses and all the other crap from them. Hey SMUt, you got your butt handed to you and I look forward to UNT beating you guys in a stadium full of green in Dallas. Thanks for the giant pony fan base that showed up yesterday...... Not......

• Upvote 3

I've always enjoyed resenting SMU as a proletariat, but the reality is that it's an excellent school on a beautiful campus and the people I know who went there are all cool. One of the reasons to go to a school like SMU is the contacts you make. I'm not going to knock people who go there except in the week before our teams are playing. And for those seven days they're a bunch of elite snobs who look down on us "cutters," just like on Breaking Away.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I almost felt sorry for SMU yesterday...they put a lot of money and reputation into their football team and have yet to realize that when the chips are down they are really no better than us. We're both just trying to grab a niche in the college athletic fabric. To compound their problems, they will never have a large fan base. They are small and do not appeal to the average Joe in Dallas or the metroplex. Their arrogance is a sign of insecurity. That being said, damn, I'm glad we beat them big time.

• Upvote 2

This

And enough talking about them! La tech is in 4 days and hell of a lot better football team than the Ponies

Hopefully the SMU fans don't see this, they might get unruly that you said little ol' LA Tech is better than them.

Yeah we are definitely going to get some competition Thursday night. But lets get a Mean Green winning streak going!

#BeatLaTech

Edited by GreenTexan13

Hopefully the SMU fans don't see this, they might get unruly that you said little ol' LA Tech is better than them.

Yeah we are definitely going to get some competition Thursday night. But lets get a Mean Green winning streak going!

#BeatLaTech

Just got off ponyfans. Most have conceded they are the whipping boys moving forward, until JJ is gone.

As a former Professor now back in my industry, I can tell you the academics from "State Schools" or "Community Colleges" are no less qualified than than ones at SMU and other private schools. Many full time academics, have part time jobs or vice versa at CC's and Universities. You don't have to spend a ton of cash on a private school to get an elite education. It's what you put into it and how you play the game. Period.

I have said this many times. It comes down to how much you want to learn. One thing that helps private schools keep students learning and interested, are the smaller class sizes. This is what makes the learning experience better, in the mind of consumers and students. Regardless the class size, if there is no desire to learn then it is a waste to try. Lastly, when I was looking into grad school not once did I consider SMU and I knew I might go to a private school. SMU sucks. Edited by North Texas Shep
  • Upvote 2

BINGO ! Always felt they way. SMU is a good school, but overpriced. There are better values out there for sure. Living outside of TEXAS, hearing people distinguish Rice and UT as very good schools academically.

I also attended Texas A&M and actually had some one ask me if A&M was a trade school.