Attendance for tomorrow

GreenTexan13

From Vito:

Start of the fourth quarter II — In a side note, the official attendance for today’s game is 22,398, which ranks fourth in the history of Apogee Stadium. There were hopes UNT would sell this game out. UNT came up well short.

My Comment: We just don't seem to draw well for early games.

Edited by NorthTexan95

Great win.

But I must go on a rant about marketing and promotions. It should come as no surprise that attendance was this low. Did anybody see any creative ideas from the AD to sell this game? Anybody? Definitely not that robo call that pretty much went only to people who knew about the game anyway. 11am is a piss poor excuse. Every team that has a respectable conference TV deal has to work with 11am games.

Anybody notice how long it took before the first promo for Thursday night's game to air on the video board? Early in the 3rd quarter. When fans are still at concessions and after many fans already left the stadium. On top of that the promo was just a 5 second tag on the weak generic ticket commercial.

Thursday night's game should have been hammered home all day in the stadium. We'll get the usual 15,000 or so fans to come out, but what about all the other casual fans that were there today? Do many of those people have any clue that we play on Thursday night? At this rate we'll be lucky for get 17k for Thursday.

There is so much dead air in the game presentation, no music, no band, generic logo on the video board (rant for another day), why wasn't that time used to promote the living hell out of Thursday night's game? Why not a little promotion for the fans in attendance and say "our ticket office is open now and during today's game all tickets for Thursday night are buy one get one free", or are we scared of pissing off what few season ticket holders we have?

Driving home I saw a rotating billboard on 35 for Thursday's game. I couldn't get past where it said La Tech vs North Texas before it changed. How many, or how few, people can read all of the information on our billboards before it changes? How about we switch the permanent green light to greatness or above the rest or whatever dumb slogan we have on the permanent billboards and make them football promos? Relegate the dumb generic UNT ads to the rotating billboards.

RV and his ol' pal marketing director from So Miss haven't figured it out in their 12, 13 how ever many years they've been here. Their inability to execute the basics will continue to shoot us in the feet until they're gone. Until then, we'll hear more blaming of the public and "these things sell themselves."

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Actually, alumni side looks really weak compared to student side.

Agree with you...the Club area seats would have looked much better if the folks would have gotten out of the A/C Club Area and into their seats! Many did after the sun moved behind the stands more, but come on folks! It's football...you are supposed to be OUTSIDE!

:-)

No excuses folks...Alabama, Nebraska, Tennessee, Oklahoma, Tulsa, Wisconsin, Army, Penn St., Purdue, Kansas St., and Iowa State all kicked off at 11:00 am. No excuses....none...zero...nil he..this was SMU!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I've gotta disagree with 22k - I don't feel like i'm looking with Green tinted glasses either - I would have guessed 25k

At 27k the stadium would be roughly 90% full

At 24k the stadium would be roughly 80% full

At 21K the stadium would be roughly 70% full

It did not look 70% full to me

It did not look 70% full to me [/qouote]

This. There were probably 22.5k tickets sold, but there weren't that many people in the stadium...

• Upvote 1

It did not look 70% full to me

Hmmmm - did to me. No use in arguing about it though - they said it was 22k therefore it was.

Sorry Zeke, I was not meaning to sound argumentative especially after that game.

No offense taken.

One thing Emmitt and I used to joke about was that it was North Texas tradition to bring in a big crowd and lay a huge egg in front of them. Ensuring that they would never come back. Today we showed them something and hopefully they will want to come back.

I was in the end zone. Students were great, the alumni were bad. I will say this. There were way more people in the stadium than the seats showed. The concourse was full. It was so damn hot people didn't go to their seats. Same in the endzone. Every time I left my seats the concourse was packed. I witnessed 3 people have heat stroke (adult moms, not drinking) and the ems told me personally they had already dealt with 50 cases of heat stroke before the 4th quarter. There were also TONS of people (in the parking lots mainly) who never went in. They blamed the heat as well. Too bad. There were easily 35k ok site.

• Upvote 1