Attendance for tomorrow

GreenTexan13

I was in the end zone. Students were great, the alumni were bad. I will say this. There were way more people in the stadium than the seats showed. The concourse was full. It was so damn hot people didn't go to their seats. Same in the endzone. Every time I left my seats the concourse was packed. I witnessed 3 people have heat stroke (adult moms, not drinking) and the ems told me personally they had already dealt with 50 cases of heat stroke before the 4th quarter. There were also TONS of people (in the parking lots mainly) who never went in. They blamed the heat as well. Too bad. There were easily 35k ok site.

Too many fat, out of shape people. It wasn't that hot for Christ's sake.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Exactly james. People we watching the game on the tv's in the concourse the whole game. 22.5 seems about right. At one point the wing zone had quite a few ppl in it.

The alumni side being dull compared to the students is nothing new. Give it time.

All the concourse tvs that I saw were broke or turned off. Plus no game audio in the concourse.

Great win.

But I must go on a rant about marketing and promotions. It should come as no surprise that attendance was this low. Did anybody see any creative ideas from the AD to sell this game? Anybody?

Yep, ton of social media in the last 48 hours. Mean Green Sports and the new Discover Denton campaign. Oh yeah, they also had the DCTA promotion, the new game day shuttle, and the park at the square program.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

All the concourse tvs that I saw were broke or turned off. Plus no game audio in the concourse.

Before the game, the concourse TVs that were working were running full screen team logos, however it stayed our logo for only 5 seconds compared to 15 seconds on the SMU logo. So there was a damn mustang on every concourse TV most of the time before the game started.

Yep, ton of social media in the last 48 hours. Mean Green Sports and the new Discover Denton campaign. Oh yeah, they also had the DCTA promotion, the new game day shuttle, and the park at the square program.

And how well did all of that work out?

48 hours? Most people already have their weekend plans figured out 48 hours prior.

If somebody is going to Mean Green Sports, they most likely already know about the game.

The point is to get new fans engaged. Did anybody already not involved with the athletic department hear about these things?

• Upvote 3

It was a good not great crowd. I had 3 in our very fanatic group of 8 spend 1/2 of the game in the concourse to get outta the sun.

Look you can stick your head in the sand and say there is no excuse to not have 30K, or you can look at the actual very real reasons why there wasn't. It was hot in the sun, and it was early and some people can't make it then.

What's funny is we already know this. Bad weather and early start times have always affected attendance. If it had been in November and say we were 3-6 it would have been 15K.

I tend to focus on the positives and work on the negatives. The students showed up. It was a decent alumni crowd considering the issues mentioned, and the crowd was loud until it was obvious SMU posed no threat. As for the negatives. Well, we can't do anything about the start time because you know TV rulz, and we can't do anything about the weather because you know Science! so we just keep building the base. I for one enjoyed the game, but not nearly as much if it had started at 6pm.

Edited by MeanGreenHoops