UNT Panhellenic

northtexassigep

At first their recruitment was going to be the weekend of the UNT v. UT game. But they pushed it back a weekend so girls could go the game in Austin. Some sororities will be there, but some might not allow their members to go. Either bad planning on Panhellenics part. Sad they can't be there

• Upvote 1

At first their recruitment was going to be the weekend of the UNT v. UT game. But they pushed it back a weekend so girls could go the game in Austin. Some sororities will be there, but some might not allow their members to go. Either bad planning on Panhellenics part. Sad they can't be there

That makes total sense...let's change the weekend of recruitment so some of us can get drunk in Austin, but then not allow anyone to go to the biggest home game of the year!
  • Upvote 2

Greek Life and everything associated with it is a huge sham.

I strongly disagree with that. I joined my fraternity 24 years ago. We definitely engaged in some shenanigans, but I'd argue none of it was worse than anything non-greeks did except that we wore matching shirts that were only semi-gay. Many of those guys remain my closest friends to this day as do a few of the girls from the sororities. Most of them are far, far more successful than I'll ever dream of being.

Granted, I won't give a dime to the national organization of my fraternity. What a bunch of douchebag twats they've become, but my experience in the world of the toga and the beer bong was purely positive.

Denton's own Bowling for Soup sums it up nicely for me.

Well it was ugly but we made it this far

Some have gone but I forget who they are

Now the hangovers are worse but we get through them fine

Sleeping late but we're not lazy

Getting older but we're still crazy

I’m so glad that I have these friends o mine

It started out at a coffee shop in a most unlikely town

And there were casualties but we made it out anyhow

We stuck together through the good and bad times

Pulp Fiction, Blazing Saddles, and Fast Times

I’m so glad that I have these friends o mine

Edited by oldguystudent
  • Upvote 3

greek life was a positive thing for myself as well. Many of my brothers are connected still because of UNT football and for that I'm grateful. Continue believing what you want.

To each their own. I'm automatically suspicious of any closed organization that doesn't have clearly defined standards of membership. That's not some kind of honored organization, that's a high school click. I'm sick of hearing about your "brothers". Living in the same house, wearing matching boat shoes, and drinking alot doesn't make you brothers. I was born with exactly 0 brothers, but now I have quite a few, but then, I spent 8 months with my brothers in a burning/freezing hellhole running off a minimal amount of sleep whilst living with them in a tiny metal box. If greek life can add that into their initiations, you guys might have the right to call each other family. Until then, give me a break.

Then with all the crap that UNT has had to put up with in regards to it's own greek life. That kid falling and hurting himself, that one frat getting itself kicked off campus. It's embarrassing, and I can't imagine why the university puts up with it.

Edited by UNTDoubleAlum
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

You can be suspicious, that's your right. I'll continue to call them my brothers because that's what they are to me. I'm also grateful for your service but the 2 marines who tailgate with me have no problem calling their fraternity their family as well. I didn't got through that stuff with me sisters or parents but I call them my family too.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, one of my closest fraternity brothers was also a marine. He hold both groups equal and trusts nobody else.

As for isolated indiscretions, don't even get me started on some of things I saw go down off base in Seoul on the weekends. But I'm sure there are many perfectly justifiable excuses for that because 'murka or something.

As for me, I hold my fraternity brothers and the guys with whom I lived in that high school dorm for four years equally. You go through certain experiences with people, particularly at such a young age, it does create bonds whether outside observers want to admit it or not.

Edited by oldguystudent
  • Upvote 1