MGN Film Room: Texas

aztecskin

Yes had McNulty noticed the zero coverage and that he had a LB (Edmond) matched-up with I believe Kidsy then this should have been a big play. Simple hot route. He could have easily also dumped it to Reggie and it would've been a big gain. This is what happens when your eyes drop down to the rush rather than down the field. Its a mistake you don't expect a RS JR to make. A guy who has been in the system for 4 years.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, but it also illustrates the importance of actual playing time and experience, right?

I will say this and I don't care if I get flak or not. I think the offensive performance had a lot to do with the QB competition lasting as long as it did. I've seen enough QB competitions to know the longer one lasts, the more unprepared a QB looks. I think you could have named Josh the starter after week 1 in camp. Hell you wouldn't even have to name him publicly, but he needed all the first team reps he could get. Now the QB competition is open again and we are splitting reps. I'm sure Josh will win it again, but we've wasted more time. Time that could have been used to prepare him better than what we saw last week.

• Upvote 5

Great video -- thanks for doing this!

On the third play -- why would you send Tanner Smith out on route and fake to the running back when you know they are bringing the kitchen sink. Your video clearly shows blocking issues and bad decisions by QB's but the play calling and schemes leave something to be desired as well. Your defense is pretty good, put 8-10 of them on the line and force the offense to think about the different scenarios and adjust accordingly -- this is how you prepare the offense for the rest of this season. Every team we play will throw the kitchen sink at us until we can prove otherwise. Tanner Smith RARELY goes on pass patterns -- why in hades would you have him do that in this game in that situation? You get the feeling that players were more worried about their playcall then actually feeling the game and making adjustments on the fly... June Jones said it well, Fog of War... it applies to our performance as well. Good news is this was not the overpowering of UT's players as much it was us shooting ourselves in the foot. We can improve on this, we have to improve on this.

For next week's game, if you guys want any particular things looked at, let me know. Via email/twitter/comment on the site or on the mgn "board".

Also of use would be links to video. This will be nationally televised, and at home so I should at least be able to get highlight video. It's always nice when someone posts the entire game on youtube however . . .

Edited by aztecskin
  • Upvote 1

tumblr_nbc7jbG7NJ1rw04ago1_500.jpg

DT was a fine senior QB, knew the system, and went out with a bang.

Right now we are struggling to get a couple young QBs into the flow and would miss any senior, multi-year starter. I just don't understand anyone who wants to use our current situation as justification for DT greatness.

Can we agree that he'll be in the HOF one day, and that UNT should expect even better?

• Upvote 4

Great video -- thanks for doing this!

On the third play -- why would you send Tanner Smith out on route and fake to the running back when you know they are bringing the kitchen sink. Your video clearly shows blocking issues and bad decisions by QB's but the play calling and schemes leave something to be desired as well. Your defense is pretty good, put 8-10 of them on the line and force the offense to think about the different scenarios and adjust accordingly -- this is how you prepare the offense for the rest of this season. Every team we play will throw the kitchen sink at us until we can prove otherwise. Tanner Smith RARELY goes on pass patterns -- why in hades would you have him do that in this game in that situation? You get the feeling that players were more worried about their playcall then actually feeling the game and making adjustments on the fly... June Jones said it well, Fog of War... it applies to our performance as well. Good news is this was not the overpowering of UT's players as much it was us shooting ourselves in the foot. We can improve on this, we have to improve on this.

I was bitching mid-game about the play calling. It was bad. PA's are for defenses scared of your running game. It was wasteful time that could have been used eyeing the field. Losing 31-7 with bad QB's I didn't understand still trying to throw the football, led to a 38-7 final. I also still dont understand screens not being used. Last bitch, the offense was ran in a video game manner. As in when we wanted to run, for the most part, we lined up in 2 tight and ran power plays. When we wanted to throw we lined up with 3 and 4 wide. That is schematically horrible. Pick an identity and stick with it. I suspect to see a lot more power against SMwho on Saturday. I also expect 200+ rushing yards.

There were more than a few runs from a 3-4 wide look. The most successful ones came from a power look, however. Given that we were in 3rd and long most often, coming out in a two-TE set and trying to gain 7+ yards is unfeasible.

I was bitching mid-game about the play calling. It was bad. PA's are for defenses scared of your running game. It was wasteful time that could have been used eyeing the field. Losing 31-7 with bad QB's I didn't understand still trying to throw the football, led to a 38-7 final. I also still dont understand screens not being used. Last bitch, the offense was ran in a video game manner. As in when we wanted to run, for the most part, we lined up in 2 tight and ran power plays. When we wanted to throw we lined up with 3 and 4 wide. That is schematically horrible. Pick an identity and stick with it. I suspect to see a lot more power against SMwho on Saturday. I also expect 200+ rushing yards.

We had a situation where many fans denied - and, still deny - Derek Thompson's greatness.

It was more than a little laughable to think his departure would lead us to be competitive against a Charlie Strong-coached defense. And, yet look at the panic that has ensued because we lost to Texas by 31 instead of by 50 or 60, as had been the case in more recent history.

Charlie Strong is the new Bob Stoops, I predict. He is a defensive whiz kid who has been handed the reigns to a slumping football giant, as was Stoops when OU hired him. The talent was always there at OU, same at Texas.

Many here looked past that. Looked past that Texas has better athletes signed year in and year out. Looked past that we lost a record-setting quarterback, wide receiver, and a running back who climbed pretty high on the all-time rushing charts.

Many here expected that to make no difference at all, and that we would magically be able to compete well with Charlie Strong. And, those many are now leveraging the quite predictable loss into their annual discussion about our coaches not knowing what to do on offense.

The few of us here that accept reality just like to have those memories of Derek. Hard working. Overcoming injuries. Overcoming all quarterbacks signed to battle him for the position year in and year out.

Derek plugging away, not complaining. Going every step of the way with his new coaches who were trying to get an underfunded and largely ignored football program out of the ditch.

Derek led the way without being an ass on or off the field. He represented the school very well. And, we should be proud of him and happy about the dedication he, Chancellor, Byrd, and the coaches put into those 2011-2013 seasons that paid off in our second bowl win.

Instead, many here continue to puke on the memory of them by assuming that just any old player can be plugged into their positions in 2014 and be expected to compete with the likes of Texas.

The truth is, Greer, McNulty, Williams - all QBs currently on the roster - are a long way off from being as good as Derek. They can be someday if they are as dedicated as he was.

We are fortunate to play in the C-USun Belt because the learning curve won't be as steep as it would be in a Criminal 5 conference. However, simply losing Derek and Chancellor and Byrd were not going to make us more competitive against traditional Criminal 5 powers - as was proven Saturday night.

Kneel down and bow to your rightful King of All Past North Texas Quarterbacks, you football peasants: Long Live Derek Thompson!

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

I think that's the problem. These QB's are a long way off from being Derek, who himself was a good way off from being on the same level as all the rest of the FBS QB's in this state. Or even the ones ULL and ULM seem to attract.

I really don't know the last time we had a QB at NT that could go out and WIN a game. I know we've had plenty who were more than capable of losing them.

But hey, the season is early and in the case of Greer, the career is still young. So maybe it's too soon for hysterics. Let's just hope there's more cohesive play by the time conference play begins. I can't think of a much tougher start to a career (or greater leap from Navarro JC) than being tossed into DKR under the lights with an amped up defense and a no-nonsense coach leading a team in a must-win game.

Edited by Eagle1855
  • Upvote 3