2014 Beyond the Green Episodes

All About UNT

I created the account as I stumbled across this show on Fox Sports and was extremely impressed that this University - not to knock it in any way - But that this non-football power was producing a show of this nature. Not Texas, not Texas AM, but UNT. As a creator of television shows for over 25 years, I wanted to find out more about this show and give some support to the Producer and Production team responsible. It just so happens that I saw this comment about color grading and was shocked at how petty it was. I don't think this forum was created with those types of unproductive comments in mind. If the show's producer/production team created this outlet, I would imagine it was to gather productive feedback, not trite comments of this nature.

The show is terrific - at least the one that I have seen - and I know what it takes to put together a weekly show of this nature. It's timely, relevant content that I imagine is on a shoestring budget. Employing multiple cameras for production value is a luxury and given the organic nature of the content, I'm very impressed with what they are able to capture and bring to air. Hell, I can't believe what incredible access they get!

I am not a UNT alum, nor was I a fan before seeing the show. However, I am not only a fan of the show, but have an incredible amount of respect for coach Mac and his team for granting such priceless access to his players and coaches. I look forward to getting to know the team better as the season goes on and speaking on productive matters with the

To that, does the show air at the same time each week? And does it also air on another FOX Channel nationally?

Finally, as there are no credits on the show, could the admin send my contact info to the show's producer? I'd love to speak with him/her about the show.

Regards

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

To summarize/mediate: I think we'd all agree we're glad and fortunate to have this show, even with the couple of nit-picky points made about narration and color correction. It's a freaking awesome look into our team and the guys involved. Glad it's getting so much attention from outside our own community. Pretty sure somebody on here knows people involved in its production and could forward a message, but that was discussed last year so without digging through all the old topics, maybe somebody could drop a comment here or a PM to our new poster to direct him to the right person/people?

• Upvote 2

I created the account as I stumbled across this show on Fox Sports and was extremely impressed that this University - not to knock it in any way - But that this non-football power was producing a show of this nature. Not Texas, not Texas AM, but UNT. As a creator of television shows for over 25 years...

Then you should know how easy it should be to balance the cameras. Ashton's using Panasonic HPX170s; white balance card in front of each, hit the appropriate adjust button for that lighting bank, and boom, done. 15 seconds worth of time.

It just so happens that I saw this comment about color grading and was shocked at how petty it was. I don't think this forum was created with those types of unproductive comments in mind. If the show's producer/production team created this outlet, I would imagine it was to gather productive feedback, not trite comments of this nature.

Hahaha, nobody involved with the show created this forum just to pump rainbows and sunshine at them, though it is still a fantastic show content wise.

Welcome to GMG.com, buddy.

• Upvote 3

Something really intriguing was that it looked like (hard to see for sure) Jeffery Wilson was number 1 on the depth chart on one of the white boards. He did start the last game he played (La Tech) and it'll be interesting to see if he starts when he comes back or if he's still to the point where he gets eased back into action.

Also, may not be that big a deal but a comment I really liked was when Dajon was on the bench with some players after a drive, he said "I scanned the whole field." That was nice to hear, and hopefully he can keep that up. Good footwork, scans the field well, hid the screen well, stood down a defensive lineman against La Tech. He's not just an athlete with a big arm playing qb. He has done a lot of little things well and that's only going to get better as he gains experience.

• Upvote 2

Something really intriguing was that it looked like (hard to see for sure) Jeffery Wilson was number 1 on the depth chart on one of the white boards. He did start the last game he played (La Tech) and it'll be interesting to see if he starts when he comes back or if he's still to the point where he gets eased back into action.

Also, may not be that big a deal but a comment I really liked was when Dajon was on the bench with some players after a drive, he said "I scanned the whole field." That was nice to hear, and hopefully he can keep that up. Good footwork, scans the field well, hid the screen well, stood down a defensive lineman against La Tech. He's not just an athlete with a big arm playing qb. He has done a lot of little things well and that's only going to get better as he gains experience.

I totally forgot about Jeff Billy. Boy I sure hope he is back for this game.

Guys. I think one of our dudes just asked another of our dudes on a date.

Not that there's anything wrong with that sort of thing.

Right.

P.S. Wanna go steady? Meet me at the malt shop if your answer is yes. Play UNT alumnus Roy Orbison's "Only the Lonely" on the jukebox and order a vanilla Italian soda.

Then you should know how easy it should be to balance the cameras. Ashton's using Panasonic HPX170s; white balance card in front of each, hit the appropriate adjust button for that lighting bank, and boom, done. 15 seconds worth of time.

Hahaha, nobody involved with the show created this forum just to pump rainbows and sunshine at them, though it is still a fantastic show content wise.

Welcome to GMG.com, buddy.

I think there is a misconception here. That being, this is a multi-camera show. I do not think it is. (Not in the true sense) It's a one camera show, with one cameraman who happens to also produce the show - i.e. Ashton.

Most of the things you see on field (not the sideline interaction stuff but the plays, etc) is camera work/footage coming from either a broadcaster like FOX or the school. Which means it isn't footage shot exclusively for or by the BTG crew.

Pretty sure BTG doesn't have control over or access to those cameras which would explain the difference in color between shots.

Now, if that is the case, could it be resolved in post? Perhaps, with enough time and money but I doubt there is much of either.

My two cents.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Pretty sure BTG doesn't have control over or access to those cameras which would explain the difference in color between shots.

Now, if that is the case, could it be resolved in post? Perhaps, with enough time and money but I doubt there is much of either.

My two cents.

You're probably correct on having to use AD footage shot by students. Even then, though, it could still be a quick fix: you know you're going to have three or four primary shooting locations and the lighting that comes from each (locker room, practice field, press box, and so on). There are enough saved slots in the WB banks of any cameras they're using to then save the WB "scene" as it were for each locale. I would hope that's something people operating cameras could surmise.

On the post bit, it could be done quick and dirty, maybe nearly correct, with certain filter presets on his NLE - "Color Corrector 3-way" with "Broadcast Safe" if he's still using FCP 7 as inidicated from that industry article last year - but, yeah he would never have the time to do a full like, DaVinci Resolve color grade job for a weekly turnaround for broadcast.

• Upvote 1

You're probably correct on having to use AD footage shot by students. Even then, though, it could still be a quick fix: you know you're going to have three or four primary shooting locations and the lighting that comes from each (locker room, practice field, press box, and so on). There are enough saved slots in the WB banks of any cameras they're using to then save the WB "scene" as it were for each locale. I would hope that's something people operating cameras could surmise.

On the post bit, it could be done quick and dirty, maybe nearly correct, with certain filter presets on his NLE - "Color Corrector 3-way" with "Broadcast Safe" if he's still using FCP 7 as inidicated from that industry article last year - but, yeah he would never have the time to do a full like, DaVinci Resolve color grade job for a weekly turnaround for broadcast.

Uh...

What?

Uh...

What?

Nope, not even worth it.

Ashton admitted to having to use other people's footage, that is in different formats and even frame rates... Sheesh, I just feel bad for him now, especially if he's still stuck with FCP7 which would require conforming all of that differently formatted footage into something common. If that's the case, he definitely does not have the time during the week for other touch-ups.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...