UNT Students Lining up for SMU TIX

Harry

You know what? I have never seen even close to 20,000 turn out for any UNT music or art event. Turnout at Apogee beats 'em every time!

Any of you guys seen students line up days in advance for tickets to a UNT art show opening? I must have missed that. I guess I missed the billboards and newspaper and radio and TV spots announcing that Mozart recital too.

Yep...BOR and Administration just ignore athletics....come on folks...

Get yourself to Apogee Saturday and bring a friend. You will want to be part of the first sellout in Apogee history! Beat SMU! They deserve a good Mean Green whippin' !

Nailed IT!!!!!!

Every year for the last several there have been UNT banners on light poles running down the medians of major streets such as Carroll Ave in Denton.

Well good, that is a start. It just isn't the same level of commitment as the city of Fort Worth. Not even close. Here is to hoping that it improves.

• Downvote 1

Don't know why TCU gets so much love about their "support". FW historically is pitiful when it comes to attendance of TCU games. Much worse than Denton support of UNT.

Historic maybe. Recently no.

They do everything they can to support that program. The City of Denton could learn from them.

Edited by UNT90
  • Downvote 1

You know what? I have never seen even close to 20,000 turn out for any UNT music or art event. Turnout at Apogee beats 'em every time!

Any of you guys seen students line up days in advance for tickets to a UNT art show opening? I must have missed that. I guess I missed the billboards and newspaper and radio and TV spots announcing that Mozart recital too.

Yep...BOR and Administration just ignore athletics....come on folks...

Get yourself to Apogee Saturday and bring a friend. You will want to be part of the first sellout in Apogee history! Beat SMU! They deserve a good Mean Green whippin' !

http://m.ntfair.com/sponsors.aspx

135,000 strong.

• Upvote 1

I talked up the game to some of my co-workers and stopped by the ticket office today, to pick up 5 extra tickets for Saturday. While, there I viewed some of the sections with tickets still avalible. Didn't look like a whole lot of seats left to me. One section on the home side, in front of the north end zone appeared to only have about 20 seats left. There was a line when I showed up, and a line when I left. Not all of the people in line looked like students. Anyone still needing tickets shouldn't wait too long to get them.

• Upvote 3

Average, yes.

How many do you think were there on Friday and Saturday night?

Again...not a UNT event! But, as the resident GMG.Com Debbie Downer of all things UNT these days, I guess you just need to find some off topic way, even if it is oranges to apples, to justify the continued negativity. SSP needs to give you some hugs. And, I need to chat with Wendy. Hopefully you have not negatived her away!

Can't wait to see how you whine about the great crowd size that will be at Apogee Saturday. That might just be epic!

If there really is a "happy pill" we need to get you some and fast. Oldguystudent....I expect you to find them and drop a few in UNT90's beer Saturday. The whole "grumpy old man bit" has taken on a whole new meaning these days.

I think the answer might just be tailgating...fresh air, football, coeds and all that....could be the answer...and of course, that beat down of SMU! See you Saturday, Mr. Grumpy pants!

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 8
  • Downvote 7

Again...not a UNT event! But, as the resident GMG.Com Debbie Downer of all things UNT these days, I guess you just need to find some off topic way, even if it is oranges to apples, to justify the continued negativity. SSP needs to give you some hugs. And, I need to chat with Wendy. Hopefully you have not negatived her away!

Can't wait to see how you whine about the great crowd size that will be at Apogee Saturday. That might just be epic!

If there really is a "happy pill" we need to get you some and fast. Oldguystudent....I expect you to find them and drop a few in UNT90's beer Saturday. The whole "grumpy old man bit" has taken on a whole new meaning these days.

I think the answer might just be tailgating...fresh air, football, coeds and all that....could be the answer...and of course, that beat down of SMU! See you Saturday, Mr. Grumpy pants!

Don't bring me into this!

;)

• Upvote 3

Historic maybe. Recently no.

They do everything they can to support that program. The City of Denton could learn from them.

I'll give you that the city fathers support them. Local media supports them.

They are not supported well attendance wise for a team with their recent success and for being located in a city the size of FW.

• Upvote 2

Careful!

This is how people get taken-advantage of... or, if you're Wes Welker, suspended for.

With posts like this, I think you should be the one looking for those happy pills.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 4

I'll give you that the city fathers support them. Local media supports them.

They are not supported well attendance wise for a team with their recent success and for being located in a city the size of FW.

Maybe not in actual butts in seats, but their season ticket base is huge, and the tickets aren't cheap.

They also don't have to beg elementary school students to come to the game to attempt to sell out against a "rival."

Just saying

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

I think people are having a very short and/or selective memory of Ft. Worth's support of TCU. The Ft. Worth I remember had TCU flags on light poles on Berry and S. University and that's about it. I remember some billboards and bumper stickers during the LT for Heisman campaign...but I also knew the family behind most of the funding for those. That wasn't a city thing. And pulling from a city population about 4 times the size of Denton...and understanding that a lot of TCU students/alumni come from Ft. Worth and stay in Ft. Worth...and knowing that TCU was churning out ranked teams...the attendance from 99-04, when TCU was in a similar conference to what UNT is now, is not that far off from what UNT saw last year.

Average attendance -

'99 - 26289 (60% of capacity)

'00 - 32664 (74%)

'01 - 28971 (66%) (with only 4 home games, btw)

'02 - 27813 (63%) (with the UNT game being the largest seller of the season)

'03 - 36155 (82%) (climbed as high as #10 in the poll)

'04 - 29412 (67%) (went 6-6...apparently an average of 7000 people cared less about an average TCU team)

Apogee 2013 - 21030 (68% of capacity...with the bad weather of the UTSA game, which otherwise likely would've been the biggest seller)

None of this is to say that the Denton/UNT relationship doesn't need work...but lets try and gain a little bit of perspective. Neither the product nor the presentation (Fouts) has been appealing to the average Dentonite (hell, alumni either) for the past decade...UNT has done itself few favors in capitalizing on the potential for broader interest.

The city can paint every road green and put an eagle in every pot and attendance probably wouldn't have changed much.

Good Stuff.

Also, SMU, TCU, & UNT are all in DFW. DFW casual fans are notorious for being bandwagon jumpers. If your team is winning, fans will come out in droves to be a part of it. If your team is losing, fans will not show up. There are aberrations to this obviously, (see UNT's attendance issues during DD's bowl run VS the increase during Dodge's tenure, & the Cowboys in general), but overall, it's proven to be true.

If UNT can string together some winning seasons this time around, I'll bet we won't be scratching our heads like we were during DD's run, rather, we'll be trying to find out where to put all of the people, and re-engaging HKS & Manhattan for Apogee's phase 2.

• Upvote 2

Apogee is a more fan friendly place than Fouts so if UNT can just keep producing on the field more and more people will come out...Or if North Texas Alumns will stop using the excuse that "we suck" and they dont want to waste their money or time. Just show up and support your team through thick and thin and stop being a T-shirt fan (Texas, A&M, and BLOW U) to Schools you didnt even attend. Way too many of those.

• Upvote 1

Or if North Texas Alumns will stop using the excuse that "we suck" and they dont want to waste their money or time.

Other possible solution: stop sucking.

It's already kind of worked, but what if we really went all in?

• Upvote 4

this is how you promote and get rid of other school shirts and pretty sure did not require a visit to AD's office to change said shirt:

"UCA Trade Up 2014 is in the books! 500 non UCA shirts are headed to a charity outside of Conway! Thanks to The UCA Bookstore for the shirts! ‪#‎FearTheStripes‬ ‪#‎BeatUTM‬"

https://www.facebook.com/ucasports/photos/a.114085376579.112786.111051716579/10152206302746580/?type=1