SMU Fans: "The UNT game is not the barometer; this program stinks

Harry

The UNT game is not the barometer; this program stinks

icon_post_target_unread.gifby B1GPonyFan » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:05 am

If the fate of a regime in its 7th year is determining that the North Texas game (I really don't care what kind of team UNT has -- those clowns can all play guitars with Edie "I'm punching you out Paul Simon" Brickel for all I care) will decide how this season is going to go....

...then you need to ask yourselves -- and more importantly the program and athletic department has to ask itself -- why SMU needs to look at this game in this capacity.

In theory, the Baylor game should have been a means to determine where SMU was in the grand scheme of college football. That's not the trajectory of where you should be in year 7.

If they lose in Denton, I'd do what Pat Haden did to Lane Kiffin after USC lost at Arizona State or what Texas did to DC Manny Diaz after the BYU debacle. If they lose to UNT, I would fire June and tell him we'll deal with your settlement later -- or in court. Hell, they could fire him for breech of contract for causing...what's the lawyer term...pain and emotional distress....and just move on.

I've never been so embarrassed in all my life than watching that uncompetitive bullsh!t on Sunday. WTF was that?

BTW, I don't want Mex to come on this thread and bash the AD or RGT. For once, keep the focus on what the coaching staff is doing -- or is not doing.

Can't say I disagree with the guy; we all felt the same after the loss on Saturday. Not that beating SMU wouldn't be great, but we're talking about a pretty bad team. Being competitive with UT-Austin, even for 2-3 quarters, would've shown the kind of improvement we're all looking for. Instead, the offense went out there and laid an egg.

I was expecting something much more inflammatory.

• Upvote 3

He's right. Though I'm not sure the offense at Texas is going to get them more than 7 wins. And I'm not sure ours will allow us more than 5.

But hey, the defense looked good. If we'd just ran and punted the entire game, the final score might have been 21-0...

So maybe that's our strategy for SMU: run and punt. And hope they beat themselves.

Except some over there actually believe they should be on the same level as Baylor...

Umm, it's Baylor. Historically speaking, that's not that high a bar. Just a few years ago, SMU was ahead of Baylor. What Art Briles has done since he arrived is nothing short of amazing. When SMU hired June Jones, they thought they were getting at least that caliber of coach, and paid him accordingly. They have a right to be frustrated.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

He's right. Though I'm not sure the offense at Texas is going to get them more than 7 wins. And I'm not sure ours will allow us more than 5.

But hey, the defense looked good. If we'd just ran and punted the entire game, the final score might have been 21-0...

So maybe that's our strategy for SMU: run and punt. And hope they beat themselves.

I disagree with that game strategy, especially after a game 1. I wouldn't say we should give up on passing after that game. We know the passing needs a hell of a lot of improvement after seeing it against Texas. But don't trash it right now.

I understand their anger seeing the amount of $ they dump into that program. Will make it all the better to watch after we beat them on Saturday.

Yeah, and after seeing the comments about them wanting their coach fired if they lose to UNT. Will make a a win that much more satisfying. I may be speaking to highly of ourselves, but I hope we beat them by a 10 to 14 more points as a final score over them.

What Art Briles has done since he arrived is nothing short of amazing.

It's also coincided with turmoil and coaching turnover at both Texas Tech and Texas and the Aggies leaving their conference.

Baylor landed in a perfect storm and made perfect use of it by hiring the right coach and investing in the program. And by doing so, may have secured themselves a lasting seat at the table of relevance.

I disagree with that game strategy, especially after a game 1. I wouldn't say we should give up on passing after that game. We know the passing needs a hell of a lot of improvement after seeing it against Texas. But don't trash it right now.

I don't really think we should do nothing but run and punt. I'm trying to find reasons to not jump off a metaphorical pedestrian bridge after watching two QB's complete more passes to the other team than their own. Making light of it is the best way I know to avoid committing Mean Green seppuku.

I don't really think we should do nothing but run and punt. I'm trying to find reasons to not jump off a metaphorical pedestrian bridge after watching two QB's complete more passes to the other team than their own. Making light of it is the best way I know to avoid committing Mean Green seppuku.

Yeah it was pretty freaking bad seeing 2 QB's give the other team passes. I just can't see us that much more successful if we totally bail on a passing game. You may be right though, but what about the 3rd and 10 on the 50 or 40 yd line? we can't punt it. And I rather just take our chance on the throw in that instance.

Yeah it was pretty freaking bad seeing 2 QB's give the other team passes. I just can't see us that much more successful if we totally bail on a passing game. You may be right though, but what about the 3rd and 10 on the 50 or 40 yd line? we can't punt it. And I rather just take our chance on the throw in that instance.

But think about it this way: if we would have punted every time we got anywhere close to their side of the field, we would have totally won the field position game.

It's also coincided with turmoil and coaching turnover at both Texas Tech and Texas and the Aggies leaving their conference.

Baylor landed in a perfect storm and made perfect use of it by hiring the right coach and investing in the program. And by doing so, may have secured themselves a lasting seat at the table of relevance--at least until the big 12 implodes...

FIFY

The UNT game is not the barometer; this program stinks

icon_post_target_unread.gifby B1GPonyFan » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:05 am

If the fate of a regime in its 7th year is determining that the North Texas game (I really don't care what kind of team UNT has -- those clowns can all play guitars with Edie "I'm punching you out Paul Simon" Brickel for all I care) will decide how this season is going to go....

...then you need to ask yourselves -- and more importantly the program and athletic department has to ask itself -- why SMU needs to look at this game in this capacity.

In theory, the Baylor game should have been a means to determine where SMU was in the grand scheme of college football. That's not the trajectory of where you should be in year 7.

If they lose in Denton, I'd do what Pat Haden did to Lane Kiffin after USC lost at Arizona State or what Texas did to DC Manny Diaz after the BYU debacle. If they lose to UNT, I would fire June and tell him we'll deal with your settlement later -- or in court. Hell, they could fire him for breech of contract for causing...what's the lawyer term...pain and emotional distress....and just move on.

I've never been so embarrassed in all my life than watching that uncompetitive bullsh!t on Sunday. WTF was that?

BTW, I don't want Mex to come on this thread and bash the AD or RGT. For once, keep the focus on what the coaching staff is doing -- or is not doing.

I've posted this before, but it must really suck to be a fan at SMU. You were once at the Big Kids Table, only to get knocked hard to the Little Kids Table. Now, granted, SMU did it to themselves by earning the Death penalty and then following it up with putrid ball for the next 20 years, but nonetheless, they've watched a program with the heritage of Doak Walker, Don Meredith, and Eric Dickerson play great teams in the old SWC every week. Now, they are permanently stuck at the G5 level, playing teams that their fans don't care about much at all, leaving y'all never to be relevant again. Sure, some of the old guard in the DFW media scene still fantasize about SMU actually mattering still, but for the most part, as time goes on, its very apparent that they just don't matter anymore. Now before any SMU fans get all high and mighty about North Texas' place in college football, I actually agree with you that we are well below you on the totem pole of college football, that we are stuck in the extremely watered down SBC if you guys hadn't jumped ship to the AAC to give us your old CUSA spot. In advance, I'd like to say again, thanks for doing this. What I am saying is that we at UNT have always been used to having to eat at the kids table, teh reasons wy are variable to the posters on this site--some of us believe you have kept us at the kids table, some believe it was the UTs and A&Ms that kept us at this table, while I believe it was solely our own idiocy that has kept us at this table--to the point where we are f'ing stuck to the damn kiddie chair and it is now viewed as unremovable by any medical staff out there (P5). But you guys have all this history and all this money and sit in the middle of Dallas and...it just doesn't matter. You, too, got welded to the kiddie table chair. Both Baylor and TCU beat you to the punch and kept you from ever moving upward on the conference ladder of relevance. So, today, just like us and UTEP and Louisiana Tech and any other G5 team located in the Southwest, you have become one of our kind. The question is what you do about this going forward--keep throwing money at having what is increasingly the new i-aa level of football, drop down to non-scholarship football, or just quit. Its not hard for me to imagine any of those scenarios for your program ten years from now.

That is one calamitous fall from grace, SMU...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yeah, kinda sucks over here. The major donors keep throwing money into the wood chipper of June Jones and it is not the long term solution. I know the people who made all that money are not (likely) stupid so I don't know what their deal is. I hear June is a great friendly guy but he is not a great coach. His gimmicky offense is figured out and he refuses to get with the times.

• Upvote 1

Umm, it's Baylor. Historically speaking, that's not that high a bar. Just a few years ago, SMU was ahead of Baylor. What Art Briles has done since he arrived is nothing short of amazing. When SMU hired June Jones, they thought they were getting at least that caliber of coach, and paid him accordingly. They have a right to be frustrated.

What was done at Baylor could never be done at SMU, unless Baylor joins the Big 12.

Thinking that it could was dilusional.

• Upvote 1