Daryl Mason didn't play and more Vito Notes

Harry

One fact I didnt mention last night is that defensive end Daryl Mason missed the game with an injury he suffered in practice leading up to the game. Mason should be back for the SMU game, which should help matters.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2014/08/time-for-some-sunday-leftovers-and-thoughts.html/

OK Vito...we can talk about missing DT at seasons end. Even with DT at QB we weren't winning that game last night. You are keen to forget that he threw pick 6's like clock work. Lost us games last year to 2 far lesser opponents than Texas. So let's get off his testicles for one article.

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 4

I am sure SMU coaches have taken/will take notice how much it bothered UNT's QBs, and gameplan accordingly.

Well expanding on that quote, he goes on to say that they weren't prepared for that. I'm sure this week there will be a lot of emphasis on blitz protections and hot routes.

• Upvote 1

How exactly can you not be prepared for that? And if so not make adjustments?

I kind of wondered the same thing. Here is the exact quote:

“We knew they were going to blitz us, we didn’t know that they were going to blitz us like they did,” Greer said. “I think in the first half they said they blitzed us 26 out of 28 plays in the half, and so I guess we could’ve protected that and worked more on that.”

It was in the NT Daily's game story.

http://ntdaily.com/mean-green-drops-season-opener-to-texas/

First off, a few people have dropped me e-mail to suggest that the solution to UNT’s quarterback issues in its opening game is to pull Dajon Williams off the bench and throw him out there. It can’t be any worse, right?

I see the sentiment, but here’s the point. UNT’s coaches have spent more than a year trying to figure out who is going to take over for Derek Thompson, a largely under appreciated future UNT Hall of Famer I said UNT would miss.

All of the preseason reps were invested in Josh Greer and Andrew McNulty. UNT’s coaches believe they are the best two players based on a body of work that goes well beyond one game. UNT isn’t going to change course because of one game that no one (with the notable exception of a handful of UNT fans who have been hitting the green Kool-aid way too hard) thought the Mean Green had a prayer to win.

UNT would be nuts to go that route.

They have spent more than a year on McNulty and Williams. Greer and Means (and Cousins too for that matter) arrived in January. If putting Williams out there to see what he could do under game conditions is nuts then why have him on the traveling squad? Cut him loose if they don't trust him to even hand off and maybe do some QB running plays.

I find it very interesting and somewhat scary that we have a head coach who is known for coaching and developing defensive linemen and we've struggled to get any to come to NT. AND we have another coach who is supposed to be great at developing QB's (Philip Rivers is always brought up) and yet we struggle in that area too.

Some of it CAN be the reputation of our school, but not all of it.

Other than their alleged scarcity, I can't account for why D-linemen are not coming to this school. But I have a strong feeling that we don't get good mobile QB's here with strong arms because those type of QB's don't want to be turned into bus drivers.

Edited by SilverEagle

Well expanding on that quote, he goes on to say that they weren't prepared for that. I'm sure this week there will be a lot of emphasis on blitz protections and hot routes.

Yes, this goes back to my point of the coaches not preparing the students in camp...or quite honestly...not having the ability to prepare the students for the first game. Ouch.

• Upvote 1

Anyone else think the move to tackle will keep Lemon from being drafted? I don't like that move at all.

Not sure it'll prevent him from being drafted. But his future is certainly inside...and based on results from the hame the other night; it appeared that McKinney got driven into the backfield repeatedly and Lemon had trouble with the speed on the edge. I'm certainly confident in Simmonds ability to correct that.

• Upvote 1

Lemon doesn't really have the height to be an NFL tackle these days. Unless he lights up his NFL day showing with a great 40 time, he won't be drafted or signed as a free agent.

If he does light it up, he'll be signed as a free agent and quickly begin learning how to play guard.

Which.... He already knows how to do.

• Upvote 1