The Defense gives us hope...

Ben Gooding

We got beat 38-7. However, UT started drives on UNT's own 17, 31, and midfield twice. Not to mention that they started drives on their own 42 & 47. We also gave up a pick-6. We only gave up 354 total yards of offense to what will probably be the biggest, most physical offense we will play this year. They only converted 26% of their 3rd down attempts (4-15). And Ash only completed 55% of his passes going 19-34, of which 4-6 of those were roll-out 3 yard routes. Our young D line held UT inside the one yard-line on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd and goal when UT was trying to bulldoze their way into the end-zone. Ash ended up sprinting to the pylon on 4th and goal, and almost didn't make it. We turned UT over twice and James Jones was about 6 inches from making it 3 times on the route he attempted to jump. We got to Ash on 2-3 occasions for sacks and knocked him down several other times. The D should have driven him into the ground on a couple of those QB hurries rather than love tapping him to the ground. They played well, but could have played nastier. Nasty is fine if played within the rules, and they could have made Ash legally hurt. This defense pending injuries will be ranked 1-2 in CUSA by seasons end and it will allow us to hang around every game remaining on our schedule. The ball is in Chico's (and Mac's) court. There is a silver lining in all of this. I just hope we still get a great showing next Saturday and give this team (defense) a chance. GMG

• Upvote 4

This defense is extremely encouraging. The group seems to be more athletic than in years past. Up front was a pleasant surprise and those young kids grew up a lot. They'll be fine. LB's will continue to gel and the rotation of personnel is good. Secondary did well in coverage, only got out of position a few times with Harris dragging across the field. Wade was a bright spot with 9 tackles, Buyers was solid as usual and did miss a couple of tackles which he normally makes. This unit will be top notch.

But the offense must keep them off the field!

Absolutely. I am not one to be optimistic about power football, but if DW isn't named the starter of this team by as early as this week we need to fully commit to under center power football (2 TE & FB, traps, kickouts, overload pulls, counters)and try to build off of that with PA flat routes and drag routes. It will rest our D, allow us to win TOP and create extremely high % throws for McNulty or Greer. I am not an advocate for this type of football at G5 programs, but I think it is the recipe for winning this year if DW is still at the 3. Our D in conference play should be stupid good though. Kevin Patrick was a fine hire. He has those younguns on the D line playing football. Every LB we have can make plays, Akunne, A Wallace, Ellis, Scott...they all have a nose for the football. Marhsal at S was in the right spot to make the play, but I would like to see an increase in intensity out of that S position. I am really excited for this D, they just have to keep working. Lay the wood.

• Downvote 1