Who would you start at QB vs SMU ?

NT03

It would be stupid to start anyone but Greer. It will be a totally different atmosphere, he won't be running for his life, we ought to be able to run the ball more consistently. All of those things make it a completely different game for a QB and should be a more realistic view of what we will see for most of the season.

• Upvote 6

Means. He showed he's a quick learner and he didn't seem scared in the spring game. Shows both throwing ability and some ability to be mobile and run.

I have a lot of hope for Means since he had a good spring, but let's not forget he's a year removed from completed less than 50% of his passes in high school. But I do feel like he may represent our best shot on this roster.
  • Upvote 2

It would be stupid to start anyone but Greer. It will be a totally different atmosphere, he won't be running for his life, we ought to be able to run the ball more consistently. All of those things make it a completely different game for a QB and should be a more realistic view of what we will see for most of the season.

We won't be able to run the ball until we prove we can pass the ball. SMU will have 9 defensive players within 7 yards of the LOS. After what they saw on the game film from UT, they will force us to throw the football.

I have little faith that the 2 guys who played QB last night are up to that challenge.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

We won't be able to run the ball until we prove we can pass the ball. SMU will have 9 defensive players within 7 yards of the LOS. After what they saw on the game film from UT, they will force us to throw the football.

I have little faith that the 2 guys who played QB last night are up to that challenge.

I agree. They'll try and duplicate Austin. I'd prefer to give DW a shot, but it won't happen.

I saw choking last night. If it were due to inexperience, I would not feel as bad about Greer. He folded and I am not sure if that can be solved.

just a bunch of fear. Cant even make a simple high school throw.

McNulty may not be as fearful, he just may not have the talent. They need to run McNulty if they are going to use him.

SMUs defense is not close to UTs, so I expect a better performance, but I am still worried about the fear coming back against a good defense or in a big game.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I would like to hear MG13's reasoning of why he think Greer is going to play out of his mind next week. A player either has 'IT' or he doesn't. I sincerely think he doesn't have it. Nothing he has done, spring ball or last night has given me any logical hope that he can succeed whatsoever. People may say that it took DT a couple years to finally come around and that is great. I am not concerned about what will be in 2016. I am concerned what is right now in 2014. If Greer is not ready to play on this level then the coaching staff must hand the reigns over to someone more capable. And we all know that person isn't McNulty. DW needs to get his opportunity. We haven't seen a large sample to make any real assumption of what DW can or can't do. But we have all seen him throw a football and he can make tight, accurate throws. Which is what a QB needs to kind of be able to do. He might be a spark to this offense and bring a little bit of swag with him. Not giving him a chance would be unfair to him the player, the team and the fan base. If all of your options are not exhausted given any problem then you are not doing your job. And that is just not coaching, that is every job.

• Upvote 2

What on God's green Earth makes you think this is possible?

Do you really have something to go off of?

I just refuse to believe that our coaching staff is really so inept to knowingly put a walking potato in to start. The kid was nervous and he got visibly shaken. If he's a real athlete, that should eat him alive and make him play out of his mind next chance he gets. If he's not a real athlete, then my faith in coach Mac is severely shaken.

• Upvote 2