Coach Mac Post Game Comments, Final UNT/UT Game Stats

Harry

What They Said

"We need to be one of the most improved teams in college football this week."
--North Texas coach Dan McCarney on preparations for the home opener against SMU

"It was really a good defense, and really poor execution on our part. It was just about as inept offense as we've had since I've been here."
--McCarney on his offense's performance

"Some really good series, and a lot of really valuable playing time for a lot of guys that have played very little. At times, we played well and tackled well."
--McCarney on his defense's performance

BOX SCORE/STATS LINK

A lot of this has to fall on coaching. . . . As bad a college head coach as Todd Dodge was, I don't recall ever seeing his QBs out there looking nearly as unprepared as what we saw tonight. Not even close. His defenses, special teams, and occasionally his O-line? Yes. But not his QBs.

Don't even start, bro. Just step away.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Has to do with all the Sr players lost last year and little playing time of the upcoming team.

If it was coaching we would not have won a Bowl.

People and their rationale- I don't get it....

I'm not talking about anything to do with last year. I'm talking about what we saw tonight. We have 4 QBs on scholarship, and apparently none of them was prepared to play in this game. Why is that?

• Upvote 2

Everybody needs to just calm down. Are you really surprised about the QB performance? We all knew that position would be an issue this year. As great of a job Coach Mac has done, it is still difficult to recruit a Div I caliber QB at UNT. I don't care if your Nick Saban at UNT, he would still have a hard time getting that type of QB. We were fortunate Thompson played as well as he did his senior year because I recall some similar play out of him from previous years. Coach Mac is obviously disappointed. I'm sure he will be focusing on this issue the whole week leading up to SMU.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Many freshman stepped up this weekend . Many new qbs stepped up this weekend. Just not on our team. The bowl game has nothing to do with it. It has to do with not preparing well enough during the camps...which is part student but mostly coaching. Dmac is a good guy but his crew was unprepared for this game

• Upvote 2

Everybody needs to just calm down. Are you really surprised about the QB performance? We all knew that position would be an issue this year. As great of a job Coach Mac has done, it is still difficult to recruit a Div I caliber QB at UNT. I don't care if your Nick Saban at UNT, he would still have a hard time getting that type of QB. We were fortunate Thompson played as well as he did his senior year because I recall some similar play out of him from previous years. Coach Mac is obviously disappointed. I'm sure he will be focusing on this issue the whole week leading up to SMU.

That's not enrirely true. What makes it really hard recruiting a qb here is that Coach Mccarney wants tall qbs. He wants a 6'3"+ qb who can run the offense and make throws from the pocket, without wanting to scramble and improvise. Basically what Thompson was.

Recruiting a qb here is hard enough, like you said. You need a qb to fall through the cracks and not get offered by the big schools, so that you either only have to beat out a few lower-level schools to land the kid, or no other schools at all.

Problem is, when a qb is 6'3"+ all of the big schools are going to give him a look. If a QB is 6'3"+ and is clearly a good qb, proving he plays like a D1 qb and doesn't just look like one, then he's going to have tons of offers from big schools.

Now sometimes if a QB is 6'1" or shorter he can be a good player yet still get passed up by the big schools for taller qbs. Kellen Moore fell to Boise State because he was 6' even. Jordan Lynch fell to Northern Illinois because he was 6' even. The best qb in our conference, Rakeem Cato fell to Marshall because, you guessed it, he's 6' tall.

I'm not saying good, tall qbs can't slip through the cracks to us, but it certainly is harder than a quality short qb getting passed up and falling to us. Hopefully Greer (and Mcnulty) prove last night was an aberration. But when a 6'5" qb who played for a strong-metroplex high school and a nationally ranked JUCO only has offers from schools like FIU, UAB, and us, you have to wonder why. Hope last night didn't prove why.

Best thing we can do is support Greer and Mcnulty and cheer like crazy for them next week. Still plenty of time to improve.

• Upvote 7

Problem is, there is no guarantee that a legit FBS QB would ever see the field at UNT. System> talent here with DMac. He wants a bus driver, not a FBS QB.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I'm not talking about anything to do with last year. I'm talking about what we saw tonight. We have 4 QBs on scholarship, and apparently none of them was prepared to play in this game. Why is that?

Maybe your answer lies in recruiting, or lack thereof.

• Downvote 1

That's not enrirely true. What makes it really hard recruiting a qb here is that Coach Mccarney wants tall qbs. He wants a 6'3"+ qb who can run the offense and make throws from the pocket, without wanting to scramble and improvise. Basically what Thompson was.

Recruiting a qb here is hard enough, like you said. You need a qb to fall through the cracks and not get offered by the big schools, so that you either only have to beat out a few lower-level schools to land the kid, or no other schools at all.

Problem is, when a qb is 6'3"+ all of the big schools are going to give him a look. If a QB is 6'3"+ and is clearly a good qb, proving he plays like a D1 qb and doesn't just look like one, then he's going to have tons of offers from big schools.

Now sometimes if a QB is 6'1" or shorter he can be a good player yet still get passed up by the big schools for taller qbs. Kellen Moore fell to Boise State because he was 6' even. Jordan Lynch fell to Northern Illinois because he was 6' even. The best qb in our conference, Rakeem Cato fell to Marshall because, you guessed it, he's 6' tall.

I'm not saying good, tall qbs can't slip through the cracks to us, but it certainly is harder than a quality short qb getting passed up and falling to us. Hopefully Greer (and Mcnulty) prove last night was an aberration. But when a 6'5" qb who played for a strong-metroplex high school and a nationally ranked JUCO only has offers from schools like FIU, UAB, and us, you have to wonder why. Hope last night didn't prove why.

Best thing we can do is support Greer and Mcnulty and cheer like crazy for them next week. Still plenty of time to improve.

Billy, I hope & pray you're wrong. Because I agree with your sentiments of smaller QBs falling through the cracks.

Height shouldn't matter, Russell Wilson is listed at 5'11" 210lbs.

Mac's old buddy Seneca Wallace was only 5'10" as well. Why would Mac limit his recruiting pool based on height? Was he spoiled be around the Florida program? If that's the case, Mac better pull his head outta his ass, 'cause Florida we ain't! (spits chew) :D

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 1

Watch out for MDH Billysee58, he doesn't like that recruiting talk. I don't personally know what coach Mac wants in a QB, I would imagine one that can run his offense efficiently regardless of the tangibles. My college coach, who was also a coach Mac, made this comment,"I don't care how big you are, how fast you can run, or how much weight you can lift, the guy that gets the job done within the perimeter of the field will get the job period". I think you will find many coaches believe in the same philosophy. I agree with supporting the QB s. I was going to mention that but thought I would get scolded on here for it (MDH), go figure I get scolded for mentioning recruiting. Have a great week, Go Mean Green!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I would rather have a 5'10" that can throw the football rather than a 6'5" that can't. Height is irrelevant...we just need production. To be honest I want to see a power run offense or I want to see 3-4 wide in shotgun consistently. The switching back and forth per drive is stupid and incoherent. Create your identity and stick with it. Way too many runs out of shotgun last night. It was causing more east/west running rather than north and south. I don't know the exacts but my bet would be we got at least 80% of our 79 rushing yards out of power. I know Pegram is coming off a significant injury, but he should have had 25 touches out of the I. He was having success even with a terrible passing game. Oh, and again, Greer is a statue. Any pressure in his face he will collapse, mentally and physically. I am not jumping off the deep end, I am just concerned, highly concerned. GMG

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Billy, I hope & pray you're wrong. Because I agree with your sentiments if smaller QBs falling through the cracks.

Height shouldn't matter, Russell Wilson is listed at 5'11" 210lbs.

Mac's old buddy Seneca Wallace was only 5'10" as well. Why would Mac limit his recruiting pool based on height? Was he spoiled be around the Florida program? If that's the case, Mac better pull his head outta his ass, 'cause Florida we ain't! (spits chew) :D

And Seneca's height is most likely why he ended up at Iowa State. Mac and Chico have stated that lately. Can't find the quote. Chico said something along the lines of "you're not going to see me play/have a qb around 6' tall here." But his qbs who he had so much success with at South Florida were 6' Matt Grothe and 5'11" BJ Daniels. Which leads me to believe that it's Coach Mac's philosophy and take on qbs. And if you look at the guys we have offered it seems like good evidence. We've only offered tall qbs.

There's a qb I really like this class in Chandler Eiland from Canton, TX. He's committed to Louisiana-Monroe and they're his only offer, because he's only 6' tall and he plays for a small school out in East Texas. Had 18 tds against pnly 2 picks last year. Accurate passer, good mobility, and just makes plays without turning the ball over. His teammate Sam Miller is our top-rated commit this year and I'd love to get Eiland as well. I just don't see it happening since it looks like we don't plan on taking a qb this class and if we do it'll probably be a tall kid.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/601600/chandler-eiland

Give me a kid who might not look like a D1 but plays like one over a kid who looks like a D1 qb but doesn't play like one. A qb who's being passed up because of his height, not his quality of play.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

We ran successfully out of all the formations we had. Even the best teams switch between some power (I, pistol, h-back stuff) and some east-west stuff (shotgun, single back etc). You can be a power run team from the shotgun. The offense's problem was quite obviously that we couldn't pass the ball effectively. Even Wisconsin, which runs the ball at a ridiculous rate, lines up in a "3-4 wide shotgun" and throws it.

They usually just compete those passes with some regularity, however.

• Upvote 2

And Seneca's height is most likely why he ended up at Iowa State. Mac and Chico have stated that lately. Can't find the quote. Chico said something along the lines of "you're not going to see me play/have a qb around 6' tall here." But his qbs who he had so much success with at South Florida were 6' Matt Grothe and 5'11" BJ Daniels. Which leads me to believe that it's Coach Mac's philosophy and take on qbs. And if you look at the guys we have offered it seems like good evidence. We've only offered tall qbs.

There's a qb I really like this class in Chandler Eiland from Canton, TX. He's committed to Louisiana-Monroe and they're his only offer, because he's only 6' tall and he plays for a small school out in East Texas. Had 18 tds against pnly 2 picks last year. Accurate passer, good mobility, and just makes plays without turning the ball over. His teammate Sam Miller is our top-rated commit this year and I'd love to get Eiland as well. I just don't see it happening since it looks like we don't plan on taking a qb this class and if we do it'll probably be a tall kid.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/601600/chandler-eiland

Give me a kid who might not look like a D1 but plays like one over a kid who looks like a D1 qb but doesn't play like one. A qb who's being passed up because of his height, not his quality of play.

You win this thread.