What Texas is looking for against the Mean Green

Harry

1. Protect David Ash

Every 2014 season outlook seems is prefaced with "If David Ash stays healthy...." Part of that plan will be executed with an offense reminiscent the 2012 Horns, with a slower pace, heavy motioning, and reliance on the run game. Another step is Ash making a point to protect himself by not taking defenders head on.

But the biggest impact will be felt by the offensive line now led by OC/OL coach Joe Wickline. The line will need to show it is a completely different unit than the squad that couldn't withstand three man pressure against BYU last fall, the game in which David Ash frequently scrambled before taking one too many hits, ending his season with a concussion.

Ideally, I'd love to see 0 sacks and little need for David Ash to buy time with his feet. And that goal isn't entirely unreasonable to ask of the Horns, as the North Texas defensive front is fairly small. Despite the Mean Green being a top 25 team for sacks in 2013, they lose the majority of the front seven that produced those numbers. Kennedy Estelle will need to show he's a stabilizing force on the left side, and one of the options behind suspended Desmond Harrison will need to step up in his stead, whether it's Darius James, Marcus Hutchins, or Jake Raulerson.

Read more: http://www.burntorangenation.com/2014/8/27/6072843/what-im-looking-for-against-the-mean-green-longhorns-defense-special-teams

All starters on the bench by the second half because the game isn’t in doubt.

I want to see the opponents with that mixed look of despair and resignation on their faces by the end of the third quarter (the look that says they know deep down that they are hopelessly outmatched and that there’s nothing they can do to fix it).

I don’t want to just see broken bodies, I want to see broken spirits. I want to see Texas take that last glimmer of hope in their opponents eye and crush it – boot to neck.

I could care less about the scoreboard; if they are relentless, hyper aggressive and if they give the 2’s and 3’s plenty of game reps I’m happy.

With those hogs on the line and the pair of 5’9" 220-230 pound bowling balls trying to punch holes, it is their best asset. They plan on running the football.

We shut them down, I will be thrilled.

I’d love to see the clap comparison from Coach Mack to Coach Strong. I bet a lot of folks would be surprised when Coach Strong claps as much as 80% of Coach Mack’s median output. Now, push ups? … that’s a whole ’nother thing entirely.