"I can’t be bothered to learn too much about such a team (UNT)...&

Harry

North Texas

The Mean Green won nine games last year in their first season in Conference USA, so they may not be quite the punch line we’re accustomed to facing. You might recognize head coach Dan McCarney from his time running Iowa State from 1995 to 2006 before resigning and leaving the Cyclones in the incapable hands of Gene Chizik.

It only took him three years to win nine games at North Texas, he’s a great coach.

On the plus side, their QB is gone, their top two receivers are gone, their starting running back is gone, and their defensive line is gone. We’ll be more basic in this one, in part because we almost certainly won’t lose this game and in part because I can’t be bothered to learn too much about such a team.

read more: http://insidetexas.com/news/story.php?article=5038

The irony is that he goes on to explain and make more points about our personnel, schemes and strengths and weaknesses than just about anything I've read.

That said, you better believe the gas line mishap for HIS house is also already in the works.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

well yeah he goes into depth.... then again are are things like this gem:

The North Texas offense is designed to find success without elite, hard to find talents. Their run game is all about pulling linemen, traps, and leads that get 6-foot-2, 290-pound guards who couldn’t get Big 12 offers moving to hit defenders at favorable angles.

Hard to take such a guy serious.

• Upvote 1

This was the most relevant thing written in that piece: "If Texas’ guards are quicker than Lincoln it’s going to be a quick game."

But, here's the more entertaining read: http://www.barkingcarnival.com/2014/8/26/6070677/north-texas-game-preview

Good read. Note in the comments section the Horn fans acknowledging that the 1988 game was "Grand larceny."

• Upvote 1

From the comments section:

Also, I personally know some UNT grads that will be joining me in rooting for us, which is hil-arious. They DO NOT appreciate music school money being diverted into football…even if it is kind of working (came close to a Championship game last year I think). So there’s that.

I did not realize they had any legitimate talent on their team. This changes my confidence level approximately 0%. If we aren’t crushing them at half…I’ll be surprised…and a bit queasy for the rest of the season.

I say 49-17-ish? After they score a late TD against our second string.

:blink:
Sadly, I really believe this poster about the UNT grads that will be with him at the game. The greatest irony, to me, is that these idiots hate that the music dept isn't getting more finanical support because of football at UNT (not sure how you get to that conclusion) that they will go watch a football game featuring UNT and root against us with about 100,000 other people. Talk about selling out...
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

From the comments section:

Also, I personally know some UNT grads that will be joining me in rooting for us, which is hil-arious. They DO NOT appreciate music school money being diverted into football…even if it is kind of working (came close to a Championship game last year I think). So there’s that.

I did not realize they had any legitimate talent on their team. This changes my confidence level approximately 0%. If we aren’t crushing them at half…I’ll be surprised…and a bit queasy for the rest of the season.

I say 49-17-ish? After they score a late TD against our second string.

:blink:
Sadly, I really believe this poster about the UNT grads that will be with him at the game. The greatest irony, to me, is that these idiots hate that the music dept isn't getting more finanical support because of football at UNT (not sure how you get to that conclusion) that they will go watch a football game featuring UNT and root against us with about 100,000 other people. Talk about selling out...

This is a great example of the UT fanbase....t-shirt fans.

• Upvote 3

Also, I personally know some UNT grads that will be joining me in rooting for us, which is hil-arious. They DO NOT appreciate music school money being diverted into football…

Well, I know a UT alum who roots for a&m and another one who doesn't even LIKE football at all. So, I guess that says everything we need to know about the entire UT fanbase.

• Upvote 2

Well, I know a UT alum who roots for a&m and another one who doesn't even LIKE football at all. So, I guess that says everything we need to know about the entire UT fanbase.

Someone attending a university and not liking football is acceptable. Rooting for another school against your own alma mater that you earned a degree from, that is the unacceptable part. I get the UT-Tyler, UT-Dallas, UT-Arlington grad that feels a kinship to UT and financially support them, since they didn't have football. But to go to a UNT game anywhere and cheer against us, while holding a degree from here, is just wrong in my book...

• Upvote 7

Someone attending a university and not liking football is acceptable. Rooting for another school against your own alma mater that you earned a degree from, that is the unacceptable part. I get the UT-Tyler, UT-Dallas, UT-Arlington grad that feels a kinship to UT and financially support them, since they didn't have football. But to go to a UNT game anywhere and cheer against us, while holding a degree from here, is just wrong in my book...

Rooting against one's Alma Mater is a universal no-no in the sports fan world. But that was not my point. Which was perhaps poorly illustrated. But simply, my point was this: painting fanbases with broadbrushes is a waste of time. The commenter makes it sound like "UNT fans don't support the investment into athletics" because "it's a music school" and "my friends told me so." That carries no more weight than my absurd comparison (which are both factual, though far from the norm).

Further, no, rooting for UT-Austin becaue you went to UT-Arlington/couldnt get into UT-Austin is not even close to the same thing.

Lastly, people can root for whoever they want. Life's short. Have fun.

• Upvote 4

This guy sounds like your prototypical naive fan who got behind a keyboard. Probably the same kind of dude that loses his friggin mind to the point of isolation from his wife and kids when his team loses. To anyone.

T-shirt fans are my absolute biggest pet peeve. Until they're for UNT. but even then I wouldn't much tolerate a person who graduated from, say, TX State, coming to root for us when we eventually play them. After all, when my kids come along they'll be the ultimate t-shirt fans until the day they get accepted.

Anyone who openly roots against their alma mater at the stadium on game day in full swag of a university they never attended should be shamed by any self respecting college football fan, even of they are wearing your university's swag.

They can't be trusted around women or children and shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Pathetic.

The only exception would be if your kid was playing for the other school. Loyalty to your child might outweigh loyalty to school. Note the might.

It's not just UT's fan base. Every fan base has those types of fans. I've known people that went to Nebraska, Ohio State, USC, and Florida who could care less about sports and to see if their universities win or lose games.

And why are we knocking UT's t-shirt fans? I so wish NT had thousands of them and I welcome any and all NT t-shirt fans to Apogee!