UT vs UNT Spread

Caw Caw

The spread is posted at 26 1/2 in favor of UT. For a comparable perspective, the abysmal Southern Miss is a 29 point spread with Mississippi St. Does anyone else feel like this is a bit of a shot? I mean a win in Austin is a tough get, but 4 touchdowns, damn. I have two bets at work, all i had to do was take UNT within 30 points of the longhorns. Are we all fools about the state of our team or is it really that big of a jump from Denton to Austin?

Source: http://www.thespread.com/ncaa-college-football-betting-odds#.U_ytavldVHU

I posted another article in regards to the Big 12 needing all of their teams to do well to ensure they can nab one of the 4 playoff spots...

So this is a different world. In last years model, I could see Strong not wanting to run up the score so as to motivate his young team. Now, not so much. You have to think Bob Bowlsby of the Big 12 is pushing all of the teams playing lessor opponents to make this wins convincing...and yes I do think that could affect the point spread by 4-5 points...

I posted another article in regards to the Big 12 needing all of their teams to do well to ensure they can nab one of the 4 playoff spots...

So this is a different world. In last years model, I could see Strong not wanting to run up the score so as to motivate his young team. Now, not so much. You have to think Bob Bowlsby of the Big 12 is pushing all of the teams playing lessor opponents to make this wins convincing...and yes I do think that could affect the point spread by 4-5 points...

I dont doubt UT will be trying to score as much as possible while limiting how much UNT scores. I just don't think they'll be able to score as much as they would like, or keep UNT from scoring as much. In other words, I dont think we'll be seeing Swoopes in garbage time of a blowout.

If our revamped D-Line can surprise, and Greer can step up & minimize turnovers (like 1 or less), then this is going to be a tight game in the 4th quarter.

• Upvote 1

Eh. I would accept a bigger spread for that game. I mean, most people on this board think we have an off-chance of winning. I don't think if that was the general pulse the spread would be what it is. I wonder what the spread was for Appalachian State and Michigan.

• Upvote 1

My friend in Austin in the know says Strong is still pushing the just score 50 and beat us by at least 5 TD's.

I only hope coach gets the team up like he is capable of and that we have another Georgia game on our hands and we show the world UNT is a team to be feared. I don't think Texas has that much speed like NT since they are in a weakened state right now with the suspensions and hurt players.

• Upvote 1

Eh. I would accept a bigger spread for that game. I mean, most people on this board think we have an off-chance of winning. I don't think if that was the general pulse the spread would be what it is. I wonder what the spread was for Appalachian State and Michigan.

I believe it was over 30 like around 33.

• Upvote 1

Dan is good at managing the games so I don't except Texas to be able to run up the score so much. If they score 50 on us it'll be because we were -5 on turnovers or something similar. If we take care of the ball and can convert some 3rd downs on offense, I don't see it being worst than the LSU or Alabama games.

• Upvote 1

The spread is posted at 26 1/2 in favor of UT. For a comparable perspective, the abysmal Southern Miss is a 29 point spread with Mississippi St. Does anyone else feel like this is a bit of a shot? I mean a win in Austin is a tough get, but 4 touchdowns, damn. I have two bets at work, all i had to do was take UNT within 30 points of the longhorns. Are we all fools about the state of our team or is it really that big of a jump from Denton to Austin?

Source: http://www.thespread.com/ncaa-college-football-betting-odds#.U_ytavldVHU

Six of our front seven starters on defense are new. Texas has some backs who can run...when healthy. If we can't stop the run with our newly re-tooled front seven, Texas will cover the spread.

On the other side of the ball, we've got a new QB and many new receivers. It's naive to think Strong won't have his defense sharper than his offense. That's his bread and butter.

So, if we don't stop the run, 26.5 will look too conservative by night's end.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

The spread is simply wrong. If we were going up against Florida State I would believe it, but this is a UT-Austin team that wasn't exactly competing for a BCS championship last year and is adjusting to new coaches/schemes. It's very likely that they win, but calling for a complete blowout worse than the one suffered in 2002 by DD's team against an eventual 11-2 Longhorns? Nah.

• Upvote 4

Time for the annual message. The spread is created to try to get an equal amount of dollars bet on each side of a give proposition. It has nothing to do with what the actual score is. Las Vegas wants to put the line in a place where both sides of the bet cancel each other out and then make their money the fees.

• Upvote 3

A few nights ago the only thing on TV was the 09 National Championship game, which featured Mac as Urban Meyer's assistant head coach, defensive line coach and Strong as the associate head coach and defensive coordinator: the speed, ferocity and aggressiveness of that 09 Gators team reminded me of how hungry our D looked last season. Whatever MoJo Mac and Strong had instilled into those guys, also existed in our D last season. So if anybody knows how to plan for and counter a Charlie Strong defense, I'm gonna say it's the guy who used to be the #2 to his #3 back when they coached one of the hungriest defenses I've ever seen.

• Upvote 1

My friend in Austin in the know says Strong is still pushing the just score 50 and beat us by at least 5 TD's.

I only hope coach gets the team up like he is capable of and that we have another Georgia game on our hands and we show the world UNT is a team to be feared. I don't think Texas has that much speed like NT since they are in a weakened state right now with the suspensions and hurt players.

This might be considered poor sportsmanship - but I am encouraging North Texas Head Coach Dan McCarney to score as many points as possible, and not let off the gas at any point during the game.

I know Mac and Strong are former co-workers at Florida, but this is business.

Football business.

And I think business will be good for the Mean Green on Saturday.

#TexsaStrong #MeanGreenStronger

• Upvote 2