Berry Tramel predicts UNT vs. Indiana in HOD Bowl

Harry

Pretty damn rare. Bowls hate it for one.

It might make a good story line if little ole' North Texas beats a P5 team, Indiana, in the regular season only for the P5 team to get a second shot to regain their manhood against a non-P5 team in the bowl.

I believe Houston and Air Force did it back about 5 years or so.

I think that was the armed forces bowl. Doesn't the armed forces bowl normally have a contract with a service academy before the year even starts? I think this year army plays in Fort Worth given bowl eligibility.

Mid 70s. Turned down an Independance bowl invite in Shevport hoping to get another bowl invite because we had played and beaten the Independance Bowl invite the last game of the season.

The secondary bowl invite never came...

EDIT: 1977 team. Beat La. Tech 41-14 last game of season, then turned down a bowl invite to play them in the Independance Bowl.

Edited by UNT90

In 1977, we beat La Tech 41-14 at State Fair Stadium in Shreveport where the Independence Bowl is played. La Tech went 9-1-2 that year with their only loss being to us. We finished 9-2 as Mississippi State had yet to forfeit the game we lost to them. There was some discussion about maybe getting an invite but our crowds were terrible and not known to travel. That combined with the fact we'd put a real beat down on La Tech made us much less attractive than Louisville (7-3-1, 7-4-1 after the bowl game). Back then, both NT and Louisville were Mo Valley refugees.

We didn't "turn down an invite," it was never offered.

Edited by VideoEagle
  • Upvote 1

In 1977, we beat La Tech 41-14 at State Fair Stadium in Shreveport where the Independence Bowl is played. La Tech went 9-1-2 that year with their only loss being to us. We finished 9-2 as Mississippi State had yet to forfeit the game we lost to them. There was some discussion about maybe getting an invite but our crowds were terrible and not known to travel. That combined with the fact we'd put a real beat down on La Tech made us much less attractive than Louisville (7-3-1, 7-4-1 after the bowl game). Back then, both NT and Louisville were Mo Valley refugees.

We didn't "turn down an invite," it was never offered.

The players voted to turn down the invite. Directly from a player in the room when the vote was taken. Fry told them he had connections with another bowl and thought that bowl would issue an invite. That invite never came.

Like I said, directly from a player in the room who participated in the vote.

The players voted to turn down the invite. Directly from a player in the room when the vote was taken. Fry told them he had connections with another bowl and thought that bowl would issue an invite. That invite never came.

Like I said, directly from a player in the room who participated in the vote.

I had not heard that before, even from the players with whom I had classes in 77. I was at a press conference as part of KNTU when Hayden said our small crowds and the bad matchup were the reason we weren't invited. But that would not be the only time Hayden said something in a press conference that wasn't exactly accurate!

Edited by VideoEagle

I had not heard that before, even from the players with whom I had classes in 77. I was at a press conference as part of KNTU when Hayden said our small crowds and the bad matchup were the reason we weren't invited. But that would not be the only time Hayden said something in a press conference that wasn't exactly accurate!

I was told Fry thought he could get an invite from the Sun Bowl and the players voted in near unanimous fashion (2 dessenters) to turn down the Independance Bowl because they had just thoroughly whooped up on Tech and were convinced by Fry. Edited by UNT90

I was told Fry thought he could get an invite from the Sun Bowl and the players voted in near unanimous fashion (2 dessenters) to turn down the Independance Bowl because they had just thoroughly whooped up on Tech and were convinced by Fry.

I just looked and Wiki reports the 77 Sun Bowl was unranked Stanford (tied for second in the Pac-8) against unranked LSU (third in the SEC). Both were 8-3 going into the bowl. Since we were 9-2 and ranked in the Coaches poll, I can see how Hayden thought they had a chance. I don't remember exactly when Mississippi State announced the forfeits.

I just looked and Wiki reports the 77 Sun Bowl was unranked Stanford (tied for second in the Pac-8) against unranked LSU (third in the SEC). Both were 8-3 going into the bowl. Since we were 9-2 and ranked in the Coaches poll, I can see how Hayden thought they had a chance. I don't remember exactly when Mississippi State announced the forfeits.

The one thing my memory is shaky in is the bowl game Fry thought he was getting, but about 80% sure it was the Sun.

Also, I would bet what Fry said about not being chosen because of poor fans traveling was probably what he was told by the Sun bowl and he just applied it as a cover for the Independence Bowl. Really nothing more he could do with the way things unfolded.