"Mid-Day" Madness

GrayEagle

I wish the mid-day madness was not at the same time as the NT Exes groundbreaking at the Gateway center.

Who won the dunk contest, and who did well in the scrimmage?

Mid-day madness was 12:30-1:30, and the Exes ceremony was at 2pm as I and a few others attended both. Not sure where Hopkins was, there was a guy in street clothes on one of the benches.

.......................................................................................................................

Mitchell Leads White Team To 34-33

Victory In Green And White Scrimmage

DENTON (10/18/03) – Junior transfer Marqus Mitchell proved that he can deliver under pressure, hitting three free throws with time expired to lead the White team to an exciting 34-33 comeback victory over the Green team in the intersquad scrimmage that wrapped up Mean Green "Mid-Day Madness" on Saturday afternoon.

Mitchell, who finished with a team-high 11 points in the 20-minute scrimmage, took an inbounds pass with seven seconds remaining and dribbled the length of the floor before being fouled as time expired on a three-point shot. The 6-0 guard calmly stepped to the line and sank all three shots to give the White team a one-point victory.

The White team trailed 20-27 with just over four minutes left in the game, but Mitchell scored seven of his 11 points over the remainder of the game to pace the comeback effort. Mitchell hit a three-point shot with 43 second left to tie the score at 31-31 before Michael DeGrate put the Green team back on top with a layup that setup Mitchell’s charge down the court and last second shot.

The second leading scorer for the White squad was Shawnson Johnson, finishing with seven points.

Mark Wilson, also a junior transfer, led the Green team with 11 points in 16 minutes played. Wilson went 5-5 from the floor, including 1-1 from beyond the arc. Michael Jones added eight points, four rebounds, one assist, one block and one steal for the Green squad. The Green team, which outrebounded the white team 14-8, was led on the boards by DeGrate with five rebounds.

Both teams shot at least 50 percent from the floor and were solid from the line. The White squad hit 8 of 11 free throws, while the Green team connected on 12 of 14 attempts.

The "Mid-Day Madness" festivities also included three-point and dunk contests. The outing began with the three-point competition, won by senior guard Jerome Rogers. Rogers, tied for fifth all-time at North Texas in three-point field goals made, hit 19 of 22 attempts in the first round of the competition to send him to the finals against Jones. In the finals, Rogers connected on 16 attempts in one minute to claim the title.

The dunk contest was won by Mitchell with a score of 27 from a panel of three judges, which included former Mean Green standouts Brandon Gilbert, Sam Funches and Kenneth Mangrum. All three-judges gave Mitchell a nine after he completed his three dunks.

The Mean Green will open its 2003-04 season at home against Northwestern Oklahoma State on Nov. 21 at 7 p.m.

No Hopkins was introduced prior to the scrimmage and was wearing his uniform.  That I'm sure of.  i think the guy in street clothes was the new signee.

I missed the introductions. Hopkins was not listed as being on either team on the scrimmage rosters or as a contestant in any contest, but he is listed on the overall numerical team roster that was handed out as was Awasom.

Edited by NT80

Well this wouldn't be the first time I was wrong. Hopkins evidently did not play and the player that I thought was him was actually Mark Wilson. My bad. I will say this, these two guys sure look similar and have very similar games.

It concerns me that Hopkins is not playing. Let's hope that it is not anything serious.

Leonard is a couple of weeks away, healing up from a stress fracture. One recruit in street clothes is from North Crowley HS, uncommitted I think, and the other is from Oklahoma, and I hear he did commit to UNT this weekend. I think the team will miss C.Davis early in the season, but will be better overall with the new additions, especially Wilson. He is really going to surprise people. Too bad we couldn't have him all 4 years. Johnson looks quick but very lost on the court, on both offense and defense. I hope he learns alot during the 1st semester. Will Smith looked even bigger, Barnett looked more confident and stronger, Degrate looks good but needs to shoot inside more than outside, we have guys that can do that. All in all, I was happy to see the progress being made, and I can't wait for the season to start.