Coach Mac unveils UNT 2-Deep: Josh Greer starts at QB

golfingomez

Nah, I'm right there with you. We have a prototypically-sized legit D-1 passer at NT -- and he's starting. It's exciting.

And this prototypically sized legit D-1 passer beat out a guy that has been in this offense and knows it backwards and forwards......something VERY important to Mac. This prototypically sized legit D-1 passer also beat out a guy that Mac was probably pulling for.

So that tells me we have a prototypically sized legit D-1 passer that knows the offense well enough to satisfy this staff and has the other "DT qualities" that Mac wants.

I am definitely excited about this news.

• Upvote 7

Some surprises:

Matt Dash not on the 2-deep (they were making him out to be the likely starter a couple of weeks ago)

Pegram starting at RB over Jimmerson (I like the call, but still a little surprising)

Teegarden making the 2-deep (shouldn't be a surprise, but his name hasn't popped up much lately), no Chelf

Wow!

McCarney indicated that Zero Wallace (Sir Calvin) will be in the rotation as the 5th DT.

As a past Chapel Hill Bulldog fan, I have to say I am impressed. After watching his high school career I have to admit that I did not think it would come to be.

On the other hand, as a current Sulphur Springs Wildcat fan, I AM NOT surprised that Willy Ivery will play as a true freshman. The kid is something else!

GMG

I am just happy we have someone with the arm strength to make all the throws.. DT was DT and what he brought to the table overcame his ability to provide velocity on the deep outs and cross field looks. Having a QB that forces a DB to respect the whole field beyond the 15 yard box should hopefully loosen up the middle some for the RB's and TE's. Add to it someone that has the arm strength to air it out in stead of float it to the endzone does that much more for the vertical passing game.

• Upvote 3

If you have a pen and paper, you can write all of that down and put it in your wallet and, then, take it out and look at it during the game, in case you forget who is playing where.

I think it says the Greer kid is quarterback; but, it doesn't say they are moving Dajon to DB like Mack Brown or Bobby Stoops would be tempted to do to get his "athleticism" on the field, right? Without turning the ball over...with the "athleticism"...but, instead, creating turnovers...with the "athleticism."

Because, as we all know, there is only two type of football "athleticism": 40 yard dash speed (out of pads) and quarterbacks running the ball instead of throwing it.

Strength, agility, and intelligence mean nothing in football. They are big wastes of time, right? Like, we should just have Zach Paul play quarterback if we can just teach him to turn around and hand off the ball.

Brock Berglund.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 16

Some surprises:

Matt Dash not on the 2-deep (they were making him out to be the likely starter a couple of weeks ago)

Pegram starting at RB over Jimmerson (I like the call, but still a little surprising)

Teegarden making the 2-deep (shouldn't be a surprise, but his name hasn't popped up much lately), no Chelf

Good points -

Let me add a few...

Sid Moore listed as #1. Do not discount what a good football player this kid is and what an impact he could make. He's a redshirt freshman starting against Texas.

Does it not seem like Erick Evans and Rex Rollins have sort of disappeared with Ivery and Wilson showing up?

How is it that Blake Macek lost his starting job - that guy had one of the most outstanding seasons at punter I have seen? Keena must be the %hit.

Saying its the best special teams we have had without Chancellor is pretty telling...

Sheldon Wade is a guy I can't wait to watch -- what a great story he has been... and of course KiShawn got a lot of praise.. Dash's stock must have fallen

SSP will be happy to see John at #2 behind Lee.

Like the theory of not a superstar d-lineman but lots of solid ones...mentions zero Wallace.

Tillman Johnson is going to be fun to watch and he gave a lot of love to Chad Polk.

I thought it was interesting to see that Calvin Minor has worked his way into the two deep. No mention of Blake Bean.

Still seems disappointed in Loving but has to say he could help us.

Proud of how how Travis Ellard has worked his way up to the top.

Some surprises:

Dash was moved to SS for more depth but will likely be a floater where he's needed unless he beats out someone. Lees health is sketchy. Pegram earned it.

Warner's health.....

Edited by SSP
  • Upvote 2