SMU football tries to get back on track

Harry

SMU is out to prove that last year was simply a bump in the road and not a sign of things to come.

In 2013, the Mustangs stumbled out of the gates, finished with a 5-7 record and missed a bowl game for the first time since 2008, when June Jones finished 1-11 in his first year with the program.

SMU still has plenty of question marks including who will be the starting quarterback in the opener at Baylor, but Jones, who is 36-41 in six years on the Hilltop is optimistic about his team, which has some young talent and five starters returning on both sides of the ball.

read more: http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/headlines/20140821-college-football-preview-smu-football-tries-to-get-back-on-track.ece

If Jones crashes and burns -- crazy idea I know but would they consider getting Mack Brown to replace him? God knows they have the money to do it. Mack has stated he still wants to coach. Not this year as he will be in the booth for ABC/ESPN in Bristol.

I think the June Jones system could be holding SMU back. It seems like their team should be built around the run, especially if they have Davis as their QB.

I saw Gresham play in HS and that kid is a freak. I was really surprised Strong extend him another offer to go to UT. He has to be regretting that now with all of the depth problems they're having in the backfield right now.

If Jones crashes and burns -- crazy idea I know but would they consider getting Mack Brown to replace him? God knows they have the money to do it. Mack has stated he still wants to coach. Not this year as he will be in the booth for ABC/ESPN in Bristol.

Actually, Larry Coker would probably be real high on the list to replace June at SMU, I bet...

Edited by untjim1995