UNT green brigade band debate

drex

Everything has changed in forty years but this is how it was:

We marched 128. While there may have been some, I do not recall any non-music majors in the marching band. Mr. McAdow auditioned everyone before allowing them in and the standard of playing was very high. The primary reason people joined the marching band was to have a chance to play in the concert band in the spring, at that time the top band on campus. In the words of Mr. McAdow, "if you don't walk, you don't sit!" Among my fellow marchers are members of some of the top symphonies and leading professors.

I should add that all the major programs did it this way. The Director of Bands always directed the marching band and the top concert band. Those days are long gone.

It was not required for music ed. majors to be in the marching band. In fact, most of them avoided it.

A few other tidbits: We wore our full uniforms for every game. Rehearsals were from 4 to 5 each day with dress rehearsals on game day. We did a new show for every game even when we played consecutive home games. In my four years, I remember only two out of town trips, one to Tulsa (out and back) and another to NM State where the governor came to Mr McAdow following our half time show and pronounced the North Texas band the best he had ever seen.

Edited by letsgiveacheer
  • Upvote 1

It is my understanding (and I may VERY well be wrong) the new AD for UTexas would not allocate room in the stadium for the Green Brigade, but would block off a section if UNT wanted to buy the seats for the band. At approx $100 a seat, that's about 200 grand just for the traveling band.

I may very well be wrong about the bands, but it wouldn't surprise me if it is true.

The new AD is slashing budgets left and right. It's weird b/c the UT athletic budget is huge. But Steve Patterson comes from a money background and cuts waste at every point. Deloss Dodds had money and spent it. Patterson has money and is saving it. UT makes money by having those seats bought rather than having the opposing band sit there.

UT's athletic account is soon to be in a bank account in the Caymen Islands.

• Upvote 1

It is my understanding (and I may VERY well be wrong) the new AD for UTexas would not allocate room in the stadium for the Green Brigade, but would block off a section if UNT wanted to buy the seats for the band. At approx $100 a seat, that's about 200 grand just for the traveling band.

I may very well be wrong about the bands, but it wouldn't surprise me if it is true.

The new AD is slashing budgets left and right. It's weird b/c the UT athletic budget is huge. But Steve Patterson comes from a money background and cuts waste at every point. Deloss Dodds had money and spent it. Patterson has money and is saving it. UT makes money by having those seats bought rather than having the opposing band sit there.

UT's athletic account is soon to be in a bank account in the Caymen Islands.

400 X 100 is 40K.

• Upvote 2

Everything has changed in forty years but this is how it was:

We marched 128. While there may have been some, I do not recall any non-music majors in the marching band. Mr. McAdow auditioned everyone before allowing them in and the standard of playing was very high. The primary reason people joined the marching band was to have a chance to play in the concert bend in the spring, at that time the top band on campus. In the words of Mr. McAdow, "if you don't walk, you don't sit!" Among my fellow marchers are members of some of the top symphonies and leading professors.

I should add that all the major programs did it this way. The Director of Bands always directed the marching band and the top concert band. Those days are long gone.

It was not required for music ed. majors to be in the marching band. In fact, most of them avoided it.

A few other tidbits: We wore our full uniforms for every game. Rehearsals were from 4 to 5 each day with dress rehearsals on game day. We did a new show for every game even when we played consecutive home games. In my four years, I remember only two out of town trips, one to Tulsa (out and back) and another to NM State where the governor came to Mr McAdow following our half time show and pronounced the North Texas band the best he had ever seen.

THIS is the North Texas band of my youth. I'll take those 128 members any day.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

tumblr_mc05zdr1v91qgbszdo1_500.gif

I'm wondering if you consider all that stuff that A$M does before, during, and after their games as "living in the past"? They call it "traditions" and it's one of the main things (besides a great education and a very supportive system of alumni) that draws students to the college.....currently around 58K.

Let's see. Kyle Field 83K and always sold out. We have a brand new 30K state of the art stadium that we have yet to fill up.

Aggie Band. Has the same routine and traditions as when I first saw them in 1965. And they are highly regarded by the general public.

Aggie endowment fund. Their private endowment (contributions from alumni) is about 1.7 Billion.

Not bad for a school that, (by your standards), is "living in the past".

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I'm wondering if you consider all that stuff that A$M does before, during, and after their games as "living in the past"? They call it "traditions" and it's one of the main things (besides a great education and a very supportive system of alumni) that draws students to the college.....currently around 58K.

Let's see. Kyle Field 83K and always sold out. We have a brand new 30K state of the art stadium that we have yet to fill up.

Aggie Band. Has the same routine and traditions as when I first saw them in 1965. And they are highly regarded by the general public.

Aggie endowment fund. Their private endowment (contributions from alumni) is about 1.7 Billion.

Is one of their traditions complaining about the band and how they preferred it decades ago (or in this case, how they wish it would be more modern)? Not sure how my comment on how you are unhappy with how things are done in the band has anything to do with TAM. You are the one that continually bashes the band. Mine was not a comment on the entirety of Mean Green fans, just a comment on your preference.

I am pretty sure that the band is not the reason that people attend TAM or football games, but it adds to the atmosphere. Just because you don't like the way things are doesn't mean that they are bad, just bad for you.

Edited by forevereagle
  • Upvote 2

...because the Aggies are famous for churning out band directors.

Also, the band walking back and forth in a block does nothing for me. I'd much rather see the wild-ass formations that modern marching bands do 'these days'.

Please remember, the University of North Texas is an academic institution. Marching Band is an opportunity for students in the music program to learn and better prepare themselves for the workforce they will be entering upon graduation.

It's not just for your grins.

• Upvote 3

...because the Aggies are famous for churning out band directors.

Also, the band walking back and forth in a block does nothing for me. I'd much rather see the wild-ass formations that modern marching bands do 'these days'.

Please remember, the University of North Texas is an academic institution. Marching Band is an opportunity for students in the music program to learn and better prepare themselves for the workforce they will be entering upon graduation.

It's not just for your grins.

and it's a good thing to be known for churning out band directors? Cool, I didn't know.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Because of the competitiveness of marching band, and the exposure of DCI, they have become their own entity...their own "culture" and not totally reliant on football games anymore.

It bleeds into the high school ranks and - to your liking or not - it is a responsibility of UNT to cater to that culture. Meaning, UNT needs to churn out band directors that understand it and can coach kids to be competitive at the festivals and tournaments.

I know some of you think that UNT should just blow it off like OSU, A&M and Michigan. To each his own.

• Upvote 3

Because of the competitiveness of marching band, and the exposure of DCI, they have become their own entity...their own "culture" and not totally reliant on football games anymore.

It bleeds into the high school ranks and - to your liking or not - it is a responsibility of UNT to cater to that culture. Meaning, UNT needs to churn out band directors that understand it and can coach kids to be competitive at the festivals and tournaments.

I know some of you think that UNT should just blow it off like OSU, A&M and Michigan. To each his own.

Thanks for acknowledging that the band HAS changed, and not necessarily for the benefit of school spirit at North Texas. What you have just described is what has already happened to the drum line. In the 80's when North Texas started competing in the national drum line competition, the competitive drum line was still part of the marching band. It was one of the feature segments of all of the shows just like the dancers. That changed however, and now there is essentially the drum line that competes on a national basis and never appears at football games. And what we see (to use football termination) is the second string (or lower) drum line that is part of the Green Brigades regular line up.

If the purpose of the Green Brigade has morphed into being a "lab" for DCI-like competition, and the training of band directors to do the same for high school bands, then do like the drum line. Have a DCI-like competition band, and have a band for sporting events that is dedicated to promoting spirit and promoting game day traditions for North Texas fans. The band has already ballooned up to 400 members. I'm guessing that not even half of those numbers are music ed majors/DCI geeks. Split it in half and keep members who REALLY CARE about promoting spirit at games.

Please for god sakes give us a band that is there PURELY to promote school spirit, and not there to demonstrate their latest DCI-like competition routine whilst giving lip service to school spirit.

THAT is why I post links to all those other bands (michigan, ohio st. etc etc), because their total function is to promote school spirit and get the crowd ready and pumped up for (via their grand entrance) the game, and then keep them going all through the game.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

Watching some games back from last season, I have 1 suggestion from a stadium atmosphere point of view. Whenever we get a big 3rd down stop or turnover, the fight song should be played. Most of the time in these situations, they play Fly like an Eagle, and it doesn't fit well when the crowd is all standing and cheering.

The fight song is a great song and should be played more. Not saying we have to be like OU and play it after every play, but our defense deserves to have it played when they come up big on 3rd down or with a turnover.

Now, what's the band director's email so I can send this suggestion over?

• Upvote 1

Thanks for acknowledging that the band HAS changed, and not necessarily for the benefit of school spirit at North Texas. What you have just described is what has already happened to the drum line. In the 80's when North Texas started competing in the national drum line competition, the competitive drum line was still part of the marching band. It was one of the feature segments of all of the shows just like the dancers. That changed however, and now there is essentially the drum line that competes on a national basis and never appears at football games. And what we see (to use football termination) is the second string (or lower) drum line that is part of the Green Brigades regular line up.

If the purpose of the Green Brigade has morphed into being a "lab" for DCI-like competition, and the training of band directors to do the same for high school bands, then do like the drum line. Have a DCI-like competition band, and have a band for sporting events that is dedicated to promoting spirit and promoting game day traditions for North Texas fans. The band has already ballooned up to 400 members. I'm guessing that not even half of those numbers are music ed majors/DCI geeks. Split it in half and keep members who REALLY CARE about promoting spirit at games.

Please for god sakes give us a band that is there PURELY to promote school spirit, and not there to demonstrate their latest DCI-like competition routine whilst giving lip service to school spirit.

THAT is why I post links to all those other bands (michigan, ohio st. etc etc), because their total function is to promote school spirit and get the crowd ready and pumped up for (via their grand entrance) the game, and then keep them going all through the game.

Are you saying that the members of the Green Brigade do not care about UNT? They're only there to learn drill?

Just want to clarify here.

A tradition I'd like stopped..."Fly like an Eagle!" It just doesn't sit right with me. Perhaps I'm in the minority. I just don't like it.

The problem with "Fly like an Eagle" is that it's been cut from an entire song to two short riffs played over and over. And there's this abrupt stop before restarting. There's no life to it that way.

Edited by Stix
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Are you saying that the members of the Green Brigade do not care about UNT? They're only there to learn drill?

Just want to clarify here.

Gezzz, what a lame attempt at a "trap" question.

I don't know how devoted the average Green Brigade member is to his/her Alma Mater. But from what I've observed and what I've heard regarding the current Band/MuED "culture", promoting school spirit is not job one for the people in charge of the Green Brigade. To me, what the band seems to be taught to do regarding school spirit comes across as "perfunctory".

I didn't get to go to the UTSA game, but I'd be willing to bet that the UTSA band kicked our ass.....school spirit wise.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1