UNT green brigade band debate

drex

I heard they were told they could go, but they would have to add more pageantry to their routine.

They declined.

No, nothing like that. Nick has been a firm believer that bands like Ohio St. And aTm have nice routines, but always come up short in the musicality department. Honestly, that's why we're so much better.

Also, they're not saving up for the bowl game either. Traveling in general is so expensive for the marching band that they'd blow almost all their budget on just one trip a year, so you'd have to forget about new instruments, equipment, and probably do away with the basketball band just to cover it.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

If memory serves me right, The marching band is not directly supported by the athletic department at UNT. that's a shame. At UofL, where I am now, not only is the band supported by athletics, they are paid a stipend of $800-$1200 a semester for being part of the marching band even though it is a required "class" for a lot of the students in it.

Oh, and the Cards marching band is Horrible!!! you guys that talk about the green brigade negatively better thank your lucky stars that you have them!!!!!

• Upvote 4

Also, they're not saving up for the bowl game either. Traveling in general is so expensive for the marching band that they'd blow almost all their budget on just one trip a year, so you'd have to forget about new instruments, equipment, and probably do away with the basketball band just to cover it.

We went to Waco in 1999 and Norman in 2001....the year we started going to NO Bowls.

• Upvote 1

I heard they were told they could go, but they would have to add more pageantry to their routine.

They declined.

B)

This "not having it in the budget" comes in great part to their new size....400 members. That's a ridiculous number.. 250 is the maximum they should be. It costs a lot less to travel a 250 member band than a unwieldy 400 member band.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

My son practices football for several hours each day in the 100 degree weather. I believe these young men and woman can handle it.

You know what one of my favorite parts of game day was?

The single complimentary Gatorade after half time performance. That red fruit punch never tasted sweeter, more delicious.

• Upvote 1

My son practices football for several hours each day in the 100 degree weather. I believe these young men and woman can handle it.

As I've pointed out before, your sons are probably in much, much, much better shape than some of the band members. Also, I hear tell there is the occasional flask floating around among them.

Sorry, but I'd rather they be safe and, you know, alive, than for us oldies to be nominally more entertained by their wearing full uniforms while we're in the halftime beer line.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

have you ever worn one of those uniforms? they are long sleeve black uniforms with several layers. Most band kids aren't in shape, sure, but sanding in the sun for hours on end without moving in long sleeve black uniforms will get to just about anyone.

• Upvote 2

have you ever worn one of those uniforms? they are long sleeve black uniforms with several layers. Most band kids aren't in shape, sure, but sanding in the sun for hours on end without moving in long sleeve black uniforms will get to just about anyone.

well there you go, you just solved a major problem. Standing in the sun without moving will get you but if they MOVE, they should be fine.

• Upvote 2

well there you go, you just solved a major problem. Standing in the sun without moving will get you but if they MOVE, they should be fine.

Moving around actually assists the flow of blood which, in turn, helps the body keep cooler.

http://web.princeton.edu/sites/ehs/heatstress/heatstress.htm

The football team is required to wear those helmets and pads for safety and protection. Remove any risk of injury, and 9 out of 10 teams would find a way to lighten the load in 90+ degree weather.

Any fan of this sport can likely recall reading about a death in summer camp due to heat exhaustion. Are you really wishing that a marching band suffer even more (when they don't have to) because 1) your son has to put up with it and/or 2) you think this is a matter of school pride? I don't agree with either of those excuses.

Maybe when the marching band has an arsenal of cooling fans, physical trainers, and servings of water and electrolytes ready on call, we can talk about keeping those marching unis on.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 3

I would have accepted nothing less than the equivalent of my very own Q.

grenade-flask.jpg

This may look like a normal trombone, but in fact it is a cleverly disguised grenade launcher. And over here is a normal looking trumpet, actually it is a normal trumpet we didn't modify it because some fool will play an octave above the note they're supposed to play and burst everyone's eardrums.