Where we will be hard pressed to better DT

Harry

Just reviewing the film. you can say what you want about DT, but the kid had a NICE touch on his deep ball especially last season.

QB touch on a deep pass is like a fine wine -- it takes time to develop. The QB and WR need to vulcan mind meld with each other. I thought the communication between Darnell Harris and DT last season was as good as it has been around here in a long time. Let's hope whoever lines up under center is able to pick this up quickly. Completing a deep pass early in the game can really open up your running game.

See Heart of Dallas Bowl pass to Darnell ----as pretty and accurate as anyone has ever seen! Also look at tape of only win NT has ever had at Troy. Also @ KSU in 2012. Compare those with little Mac's only start at Tulsa--- do you miss DT yet?

this was the best ball he ever threw... so glad he was able to go out that way

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I know I overdo it on discrediting DT but I do it because I feel so many people give him too much credit for our success. I try to even the scales some because the truth is he was decent and his numbers stand out due to the lack of greats at the qb position. He was a good bus driver and he drove our team to a bowl win and for that I am grateful. That being said I am looking forward to a more talented qb who can do more than just manage a simple offense.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

I know I overdo it on discrediting DT but I do it because I feel so many people give him too much credit for our success. I try to even the scales some because the truth is he was decent and his numbers stand out due to the lack of greats at the qb position. He was a good bus driver and he drove our team to a bowl win and for that I am grateful. That being said I am looking forward to a more talented qb who can do more than just manage a simple offense.

ab0b5a69a891b7b626807729149d095c.354x176

• Upvote 1

Just reviewing the film. you can say what you want about DT, but the kid had a NICE touch on his deep ball especially last season.

QB touch on a deep pass is like a fine wine -- it takes time to develop. The QB and WR need to vulcan mind meld with each other. I thought the communication between Darnell Harris and DT last season was as good as it has been around here in a long time. Let's hope whoever lines up under center is able to pick this up quickly. Completing a deep pass early in the game can really open up your running game.

Good point.

I thought the communication between DT & the north end zone wall was also top-notch.

• Upvote 7

See his td to brelan in the Idaho game and his tds to Jimmerson in the Rice game. All 3 were successful because of the play calling that opened it up. All 3 were underthrown.

Unless he had the arm of Zues, he wasn't going to hit Brelen in stride in that Idaho game. Brelen was THAT far behind the secondary and THAT wide open.

Also, sometimes when players are that wide open, the QB wants to be extra careful that he doesn't overthrow the receiver.

You idiots will miss DT. Just wait.

And definitely better than quitter... I mean Vizza.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 12

No DT was not one of NT's all time best QB's. However, he was a lot better than some of you will ever give him credit for..

Some of you would not be happy with any QB that has ever played the game anywhere, because every QB has bad throws and bad games that lead to loses.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 5

Regardless of how our play is THIS year. I won't miss LAST year's QB anymore or less than I do at this very moment.

There are too many factors from last year to this year for that to be the only thing that matters. He did a solid job last year and did what we needed of him to finally win us some games. But, comparing one position from this year to last year with so so many changes just doesn't seem well thought out.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Unless he had the arm of Zues, he wasn't going to hit Brelen in stride in that Idaho game. Brelen was THAT far behind the secondary and THAT wide open.

Also, sometimes when players are that wide open, the QB wants to be extra careful that he doesn't overthrow the receiver.

You idiots will miss DT. Just wait.

And definitely better than quitter... I mean Vizza.

My gosh. I just +1ed UNT90. The world must be ending.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

DT was a very solid FBS QB. His efficiency rating was a little above average (61st?), and w/o a couple of tipped pick sixes he would had been more like Top 50. He may not have been an Elway or an Aikman, but he did a very nice job and is an all-time NT great. Hell, if I remember correctly he was rated only a couple of slots behind the "great" Garrett Gilbert last season, whom many had as the number 1 rated QB in the country coming out of HS. He provided a lot of intangibles, and was he even responsible for a fumbled T/O last season? I'd be surprised if there wasn't one somewhere, but I don't remember it.

• Upvote 1

Even if our quarterback is below average this season, it doesn't make Derek Thompson's career any better than it was, which was average. Average is not fun (although I will happily take it, if it comes attached to a Bowl victory.) But I am excited about the possibility of our new quarterback: Anyone But Derek Thompson, because the possibility for above average quarterback play exists now.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1