UNT Game Rumor from UT Longhorn Camp

Don Allman

I have a friend who makes some of their practices and is in

With the players. He says the goal in the North Texas gsme is "Just hit 50", and coch Strong has told the team for evrry point they don't beat us by 4 touchdowns (28 points) theyhave to run a fourty. For example a 14 point win they run 14 fourty yard dashes. They are evidently pretty certain about beating us badly. I just can't see it myself.

What does everyone else think?

• Upvote 2

With the players. He says the goal in the North Texas gsme is "Just hit 50", and coch Strong has told the team for evrry point they don't beat us by 4 touchdowns (28 points) theyhave to run a fourty. For example a 14 point win they run 14 fourty yard dashes. They are evidently pretty certain about beating us badly. I just can't see it myself.

I think they're going to be tireder than sheet, after having to run all of those 40's backwards.

• Upvote 3

yeah... i mean, i think it's pretty common for coaches to expect their players to go out and destroy the competition...

do you think Mac has speeches at practice where he talks about going to UT and keeping it close? or do you think he talks about going down to DKR and whooping the Longhorns asses?

now if Strong goes out and says this to the media... then yeah, it's a different story... but this is what I would expect from a coach

• Upvote 1

Well.....If that's true.....(big IF) you can see the amount of respect Strong has for a man he used to work with. He must not think much about Mac or the job he's done here. A late TD by Georgia got them to 42 after we were tied with them midway 3rd qtr. That was the #9 ranked team in the country with more talent and established coaching staff. And now it's "just hit 50" No big deal. Just do it.

I've seen articles where the team is talking about BYU, the coach is not focusing just on winning against us but by how many points.

Let's you know that if they DO get up big they're gonna try to run it up.

We shall see.

• Upvote 2

yeah... i mean, i think it's pretty common for coaches to expect their players to go out and destroy the competition...

do you think Mac has speeches at practice where he talks about going to UT and keeping it close? or do you think he talks about going down to DKR and whooping the Longhorns asses?

now if Strong goes out and says this to the media... then yeah, it's a different story... but this is what I would expect from a coach

It's the "Hit 50" that's a little strange to me.

"Pound them, destroy them, don't let up, we get a lead we're not going to take our foot off the gas"

That I would expect.

Go score 50 on them just seems a little more than cocky to me.

• Upvote 3

Don't buy it. Sorry , not sorry

Doing a 40 yard dash is not really punishment... That's less than 5 seconds of time for most of the team. 14 - 40 yard would take the equilavnt of 70 seconds

Now if u had said 400 ... Maybe , but Charlie doesn't strike me as the type of guy to run up the score. Especially against a friend in Mac & the fact he's not going to throw out the whole playbook w/ UCLA & BYU waiting in the wings

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

. Especially against a friend in Mac & the fact he's not going to throw out the whole playbook w/ UCLA & BYU waiting in the wings

Anybody know if Georgia opened up their playbook against us?

I ask because I feel like the days of big programs running roughshod over us is history and that while maybe not serving up a banana split the horns will have to be a little more than just vanilla to win it.

• Upvote 1

Don't buy it. Sorry , not sorry

Doing a 40 yard dash is not really punishment... That's less than 5 seconds of time for most of the team. 14 - 40 yard would take the equilavnt of 70 seconds

Now if u had said 400 ... Maybe , but Charlie doesn't strike me as the type of guy to run up the score. Especially against a friend in Mac & the fact he's not going to throw out the whole playbook w/ UCLA & BYU waiting in the wings

You have obviously never run gassers after practice.

• Upvote 7

Very simply, I think many of you that are extremely confident that we will cover the spread or play them real close, have you actually paid any attention to what are the strengths of UT vs what are UNT weaknesses. This inst a great matchup for us. At best I see us slightly under the spread and we could easy self destruct and see it balloon. I want UNT to win, but want and will are two separate things.

UT has one of the best DL in the nation. Our OL is a strength, but I will be ecstatic with a push between the two competing units. We are starting a new QB and have had major change in the WR core. Turnovers and mistakes will be a huge key and it is hard to expect mistake free football with that many new moving parts. The S position is the "weakness" of UT, but with a new QB and WR's it will be hard to exploit it. UT will have very good DB's on the outside and unless we play mistake free in the passing game, will quickly flip the script on the O. What worries me there is a tired D can just compound our issues. The entire new QB issue worries me due to the need to match-up vs their DL. Definite passing downs could get real scary if they force the OL into a 1 on 1 setting.

On the flip side, UT has some questions on the OL (but they also just hired the best OL coach in the nation). The issue there is we have questions on the DL. Once again if we can get a push between our DL and their OL I will be very happy. The issue we run into is that they can out athlete us on O and it won't be close. If, and its a big if, we can get to the UT QB regularly (especially since he is coming of a lost year due to concussion) it should eliminate some of the distance between the UT perimeter guys and our secondary and OLB's. Best case scenario is their starting WR is still out with a hammy and crazy athletic WR/RB is suspended and they go young at WR. Drops by an inexperienced UT receiving core would really help The real problem area will be UT's RB and how do we keep them underwraps. Both are elite and I would not be shocked to see one of them average 6+ a carry. I want to believe that our LB core can help here, but early in the season with no Orr make me a tad worried that we will get equalized on the point of attack and see the RB consistently in the secondary with no Trice back there. I would expect UT to try and do a little bit of everything on O at this point to see what works. Also I would expect the UT QB to play a large portion of the game, regardless of the score. The kid need reps and therefore they should be throwing even if they have a lead.

One more major point, don't forget that the main problem for UT the last few years has not been talent, but lack of coaching and accountability. The dismissal and suspensions should hurt, but not any where as near as the benefit of getting everyone else attention. If the process is really rapidly changing in Austin as it seems to be, then the guys that have been taking plays off or blowing assignments might actually play to the whistle. That in itself should be a major worry. That should completely change a lot of ideas that UT will be soft or will let up. I expect their entire team to come out with the goal to beat us physically to a pulp. Attrition and depth for us may be an issue. Biggest hope is that we have no major injuries.

Overall, my heart tells me the take UNT and the points, my head says that is probably not the best set of percentages. Overall I would say stay away from this line. It could very easily be like UGA last year or it could be just like Bama or LSU. Hell we could even come out and win, but I am not shocked at all how UT is treating this. If I told you we are playing a team that is replacing tons on their DL, WR and a new QB that has one of the lowest number of returning starters, what would you think? Way too much delta in this to even consider betting on.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Oh man, I really hope this is true. UT thinking we are a pushover while giving our guys locker room material = best case scenario

Buster Douglas did knock put Iron Mike when everyone thought Tyson was invincible...

So, there is always a chance...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

I believe what he told me he has been right ever since Strong was hired. I hope coach puts this on the board to get the team even more fired up, and hope we have another Georgia game.

You hope we have another Georgia game? To hell with that. We lost that game. You can hope for a loss while I hope for an upset.
  • Upvote 3