So, is, uh, *today* the day?

Well this coming Saturday is the mock Texas walk-through so you would think they would want to have the guy named this week.

Is anyone else starting to think perhaps part of the strategy is to make it harder for Texas to know who to prepare for? Of course since neither one has played significantly in our system there is not much film etc out there anyway...

Well this coming Saturday is the mock Texas walk-through so you would think they would want to have the guy named this week.

Is anyone else starting to think perhaps part of the strategy is to make it harder for Texas to know who to prepare for? Of course since neither one has played significantly in our system there is not much film etc out there anyway...

I am initially inclined to think that, but after Saturday's unofficial report on things... I really think they don't have a starter yet.

Coach Mac may be thinking that way, but I don't honestly think that Strong and is staff is worried about our QB situation. McNulty and Greer are not two way different QBs. What I'm saying is one is not an option QB while the other is a pocket passer. I don't think UT's game plan would differ for either QB. They are going to play pretty base defense against us working more on fundamentals than anything.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Coach Mac may be thinking that way, but I don't honestly think that Strong and is staff is worried about our QB situation. McNulty and Greer are not two way different QBs. What I'm saying is one is not an option QB while the other is a pocket passer. I don't think UT's game plan would differ for either QB. They are going to play pretty base defense against us working more on fundamentals than anything.

Agreed. I think they will play a base defense and I think on offense they are going to pound us relentlessly for 4 quarters with occasional play action... I think we will see a mirror of ourselves. Back in 2002 we stopped their run, in fact I heard rumors that Craig Jones broke Ced Benson's shoulder pads. But Chris Simms just started throwing the ball all over the field and we could not match their speed in coverage. I bring this game up because it was the closest I have ever personally seen us play against them.

Agreed. I think they will play a base defense and I think on offense they are going to pound us relentlessly for 4 quarters with occasional play action... I think we will see a mirror of ourselves. Back in 2002 we stopped their run, in fact I heard rumors that Craig Jones broke Ced Benson's shoulder pads. But Chris Simms just started throwing the ball all over the field and we could not match their speed in coverage. I bring this game up because it was the closest I have ever personally seen us play against them.

I think their run game may be a little better than 2002, but they wont be able to throw it all over the field against us. No Roy Williams, BJ Johnson, Sloan Thomas or Bo Scaife. I think our secondary can win their one one match ups, which should allow us to throw numbers at their run game.

I think their run game may be a little better than 2002, but they wont be able to throw it all over the field against us. No Roy Williams, BJ Johnson, Sloan Thomas or Bo Scaife. I think our secondary can win their one one match ups, which should allow us to throw numbers at their run game.

We had some big hitters in the secondary back then but not very much speed. I honestly think this years team may be the fastest top to bottom we have had in the modern era. If we can eliminate the early big play, and that includes special teams of course this thing could get interesting. They will get some big plays on us but the key is to keep them from happening early in the game. Let's face it, Texas wants this game out of reach by halftime.

2002 Cedric Benson is better than either of the Texas backs, IMO.

Heres a blog post from months ago speculating the offensive side of things as it relates to Texas.

http://www.chatsports.com/texas-longhorns/a/Texas-Football-2014-Breaking-Down-the-Offensive-Scheme-2-9226668

an excerpt

"Pass/run balance

Every coach ever wants to do nothing but run the ball. The coaching and player personnel that Texas has assembled suggests nothing different. Texas’ personnel is slanted run-heavy, and until Wickline gets to coach the line for multiple weeks, there could be some early season protection issues. Now, one of the benefits of the Oklahoma State Air Raid offense the last couple years is the passing plays build in places for the quarterback to go with the ball in the case of quick pressure, so that pressure on the quarterback doesn’t limit the offense entirely. They also use wide receiver screens to get the ball to guys who can make plays after the catch and to limit the number and type of blitzes that the offense will see. This helps out the pocket style passer a lot.

We can assume that Texas is going to lean slightly more pass heavy than they’ll plan to. Running the ball on first, second, and third down seems like a great idea when you are out there pummeling your opponent. When you’re playing good defense, you have to work a little bit harder for points, so run, run, play action isn’t a viable game plan. With the kind of quarterback that Wickline, Koenning, and Watson all have the most experience with (pocket-based quarterbacks), up-tempo spread option tactics will be used as a change of pace if not a completely unique package. Wrinkles such as packaged plays (passing options off run calls) are much more common. The playcall is going to come from the sideline the majority of the time in this offense, which means a lot of run/pass balance will be dictated by the defense."

• Upvote 1

Quick hits from a lengthy article in the daily texan from roughly 2 weeks ago.

http://www.dailytexanonline.com/person/charlie-strong

Nonetheless, Strong had kicked off a reported six players by the end of July, including dominant 2013 running backs Jalen Overstreet and Joe Bergeron. Both were dismissed for unspecified violations of team rules. Neither dismissal was announced officially by the program. The weed-out process was overdue, said senior cornerback Quandre Diggs.

Despite the loss of several key players to graduation and several more that Strong has now booted off the team, this year’s edition of the Longhorns is still full of promise.

The defense is loaded with talent and given Strong’s defensive background, they will be expected to be one of the best units in the Big 12 this year. Led by senior superstars Cedric Reed and Quandre Diggs, the defense will be physical and aggressive, serving as the backbone of this year’s team.

Offensively, the question remains whether junior quarterback David Ash can stay healthy all season. We know how great running backs Malcolm Brown and Johnathan Gray can be in the Longhorn backfield, but the receiving corps is very thin and the offensive line is relatively inexperienced. Given the strength of the defense, Ash’s health and the ability to play well consistently will likely determine how successful the Longhorns can be in Strong’s first season at the helm.

• Upvote 1

Yep. Hopefully this allows us to run the ball a little (no 8 in the box on defense). We shall see.

Agreed. I think they will play a base defense and I think on offense they are going to pound us relentlessly for 4 quarters with occasional play action... I think we will see a mirror of ourselves. Back in 2002 we stopped their run, in fact I heard rumors that Craig Jones broke Ced Benson's shoulder pads. But Roy Williams just started running all over the field and we could not match their speed in coverage. I bring this game up because it was the closest I have ever personally seen us play against them.

Adjusted. I always thought Roy Williams helped Simms look much better than he was made out to be.