DC quotes Mac on UNT QB: "McNulty...the guy to beat"

Harry

Andrew McNulty, Sr. (6-1, 209)

Quick hit: Andrew McNulty is most likely the leading candidate for the starting job as he was Thompson’s backup last season. In McNulty’s first career collegiate start as a true freshman against Tulsa in 2011, he completed 11 passes for 158 yards and two touchdowns. After redshirting the 2012 season due to injury, McNulty appeared in eight games as a backup last season, with his most notable performance against No. 9 Georgia, where he completed five passes for 36 yards.

McCarney’s Comments:

“McNulty has emerged in recent practices and scrimmages as the guy to beat our for that job. He is a student of the game. What you like in your quarterback position is every time you turn around, they are in here at their own time, not when they are asked or forced to. He is one of the best when it comes to that at that position.”

Read more: http://www.texasfootball.com/college-news/view/180861

I remember seeing him fumble at least twice last year and throw an interception near the goal line against Idaho. I don't have a lot of faith in him but maybe he has improved over the summer. I can say i am less excited about the season if he is the 1st string qb.

Edited by southsideguy

Eric Siner dated his DCTF article 2014-08-17 00:00:00...

That said, given that all practices are closed to media and fans we are all basing everything on hunches and guesses at this point.

I am fine either way they go, be it McNulty or Greer however - I do not want to see a two QB situation. You name one QB based on who you think can best win and give him some room for error in my opinion.

Eric Siner dated his DCTF article 2014-08-17 00:00:00...

That said, given that all practices are closed to media and fans we are all basing everything on hunches and guesses at this point.

I am fine either way they go, be it McNulty or Greer however - I do not want to see a two QB situation. You name one QB based on who you think can best win and give him some room for error in my opinion.

So...posted this in the other thread discussion on this article, but re-posting:

Reading down to the McCarney quotes on Greer: "He’s doing a pretty good job of leading, and it’s pretty safe to say he is one of the two players that will start against Texas"

??

• Upvote 1

So...posted this in the other thread discussion on this article, but re-posting:

Reading down to the McCarney quotes on Greer: "He’s doing a pretty good job of leading, and it’s pretty safe to say he is one of the two players that will start against Texas"

??

Looks to me like we're going to be starting in a 2-QB set. Pretty innovative gameplan from Chico!

• Upvote 1

I remember seeing him fumble at least twice last year and throw an interception near the goal line against Idaho. I don't have a lot of faith in him but maybe he has improved over the summer. I can say i am less excited about the season if he is the 1st string qb.

McNulty had a fumble in the Spring game but none during the season.

If Mac and the staff are still split between Greer and McNulty they need to go with who they think has the biggest upside. I'm not sure what "leadership" qualities McNulty has shown that Greer couldn't match. Through off-season weight training, spring ball, and fall practice Greer was getting the same amount of shoutouts for his work ethic and dedication.

I think Greer could really turn into a special player, especially when you consider the weapons he will have around him over the next 3 years.

• Upvote 2

It's Mini-Mac no matter what until he gets hurt... Then it'll be Mini-Mac as soon as he's healthy enough to run back out there. Anyone who thought otherwise was out of their mind.

God help us at Texas.

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1