Former UNT Coach Dennis Parker Returns to Coaching

Harry

Dennis Parker had no desire to coach football anymore when he resigned four years ago as head coach of Texas Lutheran University.

I was tickled to death to be retired, said Parker, who also was a head coach at North Texas State University and part of two high school staffs that won Texas state championships.

In 1983, he was the offensive coordinator for Texas state champion Converse Judson. In 1990, he led San Antonio Marshall to a Texas state championship as head coach.

Now, Parker has come out of retirement to try and deliver Idabel from the abyss. Hes doing it for just one reason.

Its my hometown, Parker said.

Parker, a 1968 graduate of Idabel High School, was born in raised there. At age 64, hes returned to his hometown to try and revive a program that hasnt had a winning season since 2006.

Idabel has just won three games the past two seasons, including going 1-9 last year.

Parker said his brother, Larry, who lives in Idabel, persuaded him to return and take the job.

Idabel is a special place, Parker said. I was here for 18 years with five brothers. We had such great memories. We were good in the 60s when I was here. Hopefully, we are going to get Idabel back at the top of the food chain.

I think I can build an athletic program across the board and leave a legacy.

Read more: http://newsok.com/high-school-football-district-3a-8-preview/article/5196264

Marshall defeated Judson in that game. Parker recruited Judson player Lewis Silva after the game practically off of the field.

Parker also went after Mitch Maher because of how Mitch performed against Marshall in the playoffs. Both players probably came to NT because they were somewhat undersized at their positions and they probably didn't get many viable offers.

At least with these two, Parker did a great job of assessing overachievers.

• Upvote 1

Parker also went after Mitch Maher because of how Mitch performed against Marshall in the playoffs. Both players probably came to NT because they were somewhat undersized at their positions and they probably didn't get many viable offers.

At least with these two, Parker did a great job of assessing overachievers.

Mitch was actually an Option QB at Plano, and very good at it. He probably only averaged 5 passes a game, if that. It is somewhat amazing from his HS background he went on to become the all-time record holder at NT in pass attempts, pass completions, passing yards, career 200-yd passing games, and consecutive 200-yd passing games (10).

• Upvote 2