UNT 2014 QB Picture

Harry

absolutely. DT was kind of bad. How people can't see that is beyond me.

The Defense was a bigger contributor than DT last year to our overall record. Last time I checked, Defense wins championships. DT wasnt the greatest but he wasnt horrible. Last year I was a big time DT hater but I know that he did help the offense move down the field but he also hurt us in a coule of games like the Ohio and Tulane game. He did win the HOD MVP but you cant give an award to an entire defense. UNLV only scored twice and were completely shut down with the Defense forcing two turnovers. We may or may not miss his pressence at QB but only time will tell. I hope for UNT's sake, whoever steps into the starting job can lead this team to some big time victories.

• Upvote 2

The Defense was a bigger contributor than DT last year to our overall record. Last time I checked, Defense wins championships. DT wasnt the greatest but he wasnt horrible. Last year I was a big time DT hater but I know that he did help the offense move down the field but he also hurt us in a coule of games like the Ohio and Tulane game. He did win the HOD MVP but you cant give an award to an entire defense. UNLV only scored twice and were completely shut down with the Defense forcing two turnovers. We may or may not miss his pressence at QB but only time will tell. I hope for UNT's sake, whoever steps into the starting job can lead this team to some big time victories.

I think you posted last year about attending a fall scrimmage and Berglund looking the best of all the qbs. Why do you think he was never given a shot and DT got the job? Did Thompson do a better job of running the plays right and knowing the playbook? I'm trying to see what this coaching staff is really looking for out of our qbs. Because that's what it seems like they're looking for, above all other things.
  • Upvote 1

I've said this several times. Mac is DD but with a forceful and outgoing personality.

Coaches have a face they show their players, and a face they show those outside the family. Mac and DD are almost carbon copies when it comes to the players, Mac is 100x times better at talking to those outside the family.

I agree with just about everything else you said.

If it's Greer, then I think we'll be looking at the same guy.

If it's McNulty, I hope he's worked on his accuracy because every time he came in last year, he was never allowed to throw the ball, which speaks volumes.

And his runs int he HOD weren't particularly flawless either. I remember specifically a goalline play where he was in for DT and hopped like a jackrabbit as soon as he got the ball, just prior to handing it off. It was the strangest motion by a QB that I've seen.

It's all about making the correct reads in certain situations based on what the defense gives you. There's a correct receiver to go to, a correct receiver to check down to, a correct play to audible to, a correct side to switch a run to, the correct way to sell the fakes, etc. McNulty has been in this system for years and apparently grades out better than anyone else. This is what Mac wants, a bus driver. He was the backup last year and will probably start this year. All fine & dandy in practice but how will he perform when the intensity is ratcheted up exponentially on gameday? From what I've observed the last few years, he was significantly below average. Granted it was spot duty, but good god he looked awful. It got to the point where Mac wouldn't let him throw a pass.

• Upvote 5

I think you posted last year about attending a fall scrimmage and Berglund looking the best of all the qbs. Why do you think he was never given a shot and DT got the job? Did Thompson do a better job of running the plays right and knowing the playbook? I'm trying to see what this coaching staff is really looking for out of our qbs. Because that's what it seems like they're looking for, above all other things.

I did make a post right before the season started after the closed scrimmage. I was very big on Berglund after seeing him play versus DT. I was ground level so I really could not tell who ran the plays the best but I am guessing Berglund was just a cancer in the locker room like he was at KU so that probably made that decision pretty easy for Mac to bury him at the bottom of the depth chart. DT had a ton of experience which was a big help and Mac is a big fan of experience as we all know. Berglund was fresh to the program so I guess he couldn’t pick the play book up as fast as Mac and Canales wanted him too but I don’t know. As far what they are looking for in our QB's is a mystery that I haven’t been able to figure out. I wouldn’t mind them rotating the QB's just to see who will shine the brightest in live competition other than the same defense every day. I know that there has never been a team that has totally mastered the two or three quarterback rotation but it would be fun to watch and see.

• Upvote 1

All the records I'm seeing in the prediction thread tell me that most people secretly didn't think DT was much of a QB at all.... Or they were all in the bathroom or a line for concessions during McNulty's snaps.

I agree that he was the best QB option we had... I don't see how this makes him a 'great' QB. It just simply means he was the best option we had of the group of QB's on the roster.

• Upvote 3

It's all about making the correct reads in certain situations based on what the defense gives you. There's a correct receiver to go to, a correct receiver to check down to, a correct play to audible to, a correct side to switch a run to, the correct way to sell the fakes, etc. McNulty has been in this system for years and apparently grades out better than anyone else. This is what Mac wants, a bus driver. He was the backup last year and will probably start this year. All fine & dandy in practice but how will he perform when the intensity is ratcheted up exponentially on gameday? From what I've observed the last few years, he was significantly below average. Granted it was spot duty, but good god he looked awful. It got to the point where Mac wouldn't let him throw a pass.

It was apparent that Mac had McNulty on a lease when he came into the game last year. Didn't want him to lose games, but to keep control of the ball. We'll see a different QB in either Andrew or Josh. To put it in poker terms, you can't fold your way to victory in a tournament, but there are situations and stages where you do need to be tight as a drum.

• Upvote 2

It was apparent that Mac had McNulty on a lease when he came into the game last year. Didn't want him to lose games, but to keep control of the ball. We'll see a different QB in either Andrew or Josh. To put it in poker terms, you can't fold your way to victory in a tournament, but there are situations and stages where you do need to be tight as a drum.

Concerning Dajon, you gotta know when to hold 'em & know when to fold 'em.

i can't wait until this year's starter is announced, so we can let DT Live in Peace...

as long as this year's QB can properly run a screen play... we should be at least as good on offense...

the problem with DT wasn't that he didn't have the skills... it was just that he was so inconsistent and the fact that he threw off his backfoot set people's minds to thinking that he wasn't that good...

but if you go back and watch some tapes... you'll see DT throw a ball too low to a wide open receiver(so that he can't gain any YAC) and then turn around and throw a 15 yard out to the far side of the field for a first down... he had flashes of brilliance, (Troy 2011, KSU 2012, Idaho 2013) and more games where you wondered what he was doing on the field at all (U-La-La 2011, WKU 2012, Tulane 2013)... the guy never was able to get a firm stance on what kind of QB he was...

the fact that DT was a guy who hung in there for that long, took the criticism and came back to lead UNT to one of the best seasons ever will always make him a great QB in my book

• Upvote 5