UNT 2014 QB Picture

Harry

Give me a break. "Daddy's boy" hasn't played but 6 downs or something like that since he arrived at UNT so if this is a conspiracy then his father would be most unhappy. I bet most people critical of our coaching staff selection of QBs were also yelling and screaming about DT. Boy did everyone (including myself) get that wrong - DT took us to one the best seasons ever in UNT history. Let's trust in these coaches. Do you really think that they would suffer a losing season just so they can play favorites with QB because they know someone's dad? These coaches spend every waking moment trying to figure how to win. I am confident that they are not playing favorites, but instead pick the best QB through evaluations in practice and game time situations.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 5

Give me a break. "Daddy's boy" hasn't played but 6 downs or something like that since he arrived at UNT so if this is a conspiracy then his father would be most unhappy. I bet most people critical of our coaching staff selection of QBs were also yelling and screaming about DT. Boy did everyone (including myself) get that wrong - DT took us to one the best seasons ever in UNT history. Let's trust in these coaches. Do you really think that they would suffer a losing season just so they can play favorites with QB because they know someone's dad? These coaches spend every waking moment trying to figure how to win. I am confident that they are not playing favorites, but instead pick the best QB through evaluations in practice and game time situations.

I think it has much more to do with Mac falling in love with "experience." It's not like McNulty really has any positive game experience, but he does have game experience, and that is very important to Mac (plus the fact that MM has been in the program for 3 plus years).

If he starts and fails, then is the time to start bi+Ching for a new QB. That may be after game 1 (although, barring injury, nothing will change after UT) or after game 8 or not at all.

We all have our uneducated opinions. I'll hold back until I see the first few games and hope for the best.

Edited by UNT90

You do know that he started a game in his freshman year and was put in to score the first touchdown at Apogee, right? Not saying that I disagree that his father's relationship with Mac is overblown, but he has played more than six snaps.

• Upvote 1

absolutely. DT was kind of bad. How people can't see that is beyond me.

I agree with this 100%. I think he won us 2 games last year, but easily lost us 2-3 games. The fact that people put him on a pedestal after the bowl win just shows how small time our program is.

I would say DT was average at best (his stats from last season and his career back that up)

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

I think it has much more to do with Mac falling in love with "experience." It's not like McNulty really has any positive game experience, but he does have game experience, and that is very important to Mac (plus the fact that MM has been in the program for 3 plus years).

If he starts and fails, then is the time to start bi+Ching for a new QB. That may be after game 1 (although, barring injury, nothing will change after UT) or after game 8 or not at all.

We all have our uneducated opinions. I'll hold back until I see the first few games and hope for the best.

I've said this several times. Mac is DD but with a forceful and outgoing personality.

But he is totally old school when it comes to offense....Big 10 old school.

Coach McCarney played at Iowa when Woody Hayes was still coaching at Ohio State. During that era, most B-10 offenses were so plain vanilla that they probably considered the wishbone an exotic offense...... just because there was so much ball handling involved.

Mac is going to have a QB out there that is going to make as few mistakes as possible.....especially if it might involve turning the ball over. My assessment is that Coach Mac will never let any QB get out there that even thinks of free lancing. He hates that. Think about it; how many times did DT ever free lance and scramble around? In his last two years I can remember twice and both were sprints to the sidelines. All the other runs that he made last year were "set up" runs, not "Johnny Football" free lancing. And they were all pure North/South runs.

My guess about DW is that even though he might do a pretty good job of being the good bus driver in practice, he occasionally shows flashes of his "inner Johnny Manziel".

Right now, I'm going to guess that the QB three-deep chart on 8-30-14 will be McNulty, Greer and Means.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1

Check back about game 6 this year. We will see how much you are missing DT by then.

My guess is lots.

If we miss an average QB a lot, then McNulty and Greer are busts and we better have dajon or means in there.

by game 6, we would have played TX, smu, latech,nich state, Indiana, and uab.

Only Texas and latech have good defenses.

Seems like some bash RV, Mac, etc for an average or below average output, but then praise DT for his average output and make excuses for him.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Check back about game 6 this year. We will see how much you are missing DT by then.

My guess is lots.

I am not sure how this year will prove anything about the QB play of last year... I do not doubt that DT was the best we had out of our QB stable. I was the best QB out of my intramural team, but that didn't make me ready for the big lights. We have a mediocre stable the past several years. And so did my intramural team.

He was 'good enough'. His numbers weren't all world and most of the time we just needed a QB to play smart. Not to put the team on his shoulders. Just rely on a great defense and a good special teams. Do I think we will have a 'good enough' QB this year? I am not sure. Probably not. But, there were a lot of factors that helped DT (turnovers from a better D than we will have this year, Brelan, Byrd, Smith, a great special teams that gave us solid field position, etc.) that I am not sure we will have this year anyway. I think it is apples to oranges to compare this year to last and declare DT a saint of QB saints.

Our great QB in DT couldn't even get Honorable Mention All-Conference Honors.... So others didn't really notice him either....

Am I happy he was under center to lead us to wins? sure. But, i don't think he is an unobtainable standard we have never had before.

Edited by Travis
  • Upvote 3

I've said this several times. Mac is DD but with a forceful and outgoing personality.

But he is totally old school when it comes to offense....Big 10 old school.

Coach McCarney played at Iowa when Woody Hayes was still coaching at Ohio State. During that era, most B-10 offenses were so plain vanilla that they probably considered the wishbone an exotic offense...... just because there was so much ball handling involved.

Mac is going to have a QB out there that is going to make as few mistakes as possible.....especially if it might involve turning the ball over. My assessment is that Coach Mac will never let any QB get out there that even thinks of free lancing. He hates that. Think about it; how many times did DT ever free lance and scramble around? In his last two years I can remember twice and both were sprints to the sidelines. All the other runs that he made last year were "set up" runs, not "Johnny Football" free lancing. And they were all pure North/South runs.

My guess about DW is that even though he might do a pretty good job of being the good bus driver in practice, he occasionally shows flashes of his "inner Johnny Manziel".

Right now, I'm going to guess that the QB three-deep chart on 8-30-14 will be McNulty, Greer and Means.

If Mac's top priority is making fewer mistakes and not turning the ball over, then why is McNulty sitting at #1 on the depth chart?? He's been a turnover machine in his short time on the field. Even during the spring game he turned it over more than once.

I am not at practices, so I have no clue other than reading the few insider posts on the board and having seen limited gametime of the 4 vying for the job, but to me, it doesn't sound like we have a good answer at QB this year. Hopefully one of these guys steps up when the lights come on.

• Upvote 3

Interesting stat that a lot of people overlook:

5 of our 6 conference wins came against a team whose majority of snaps taken against us were by a freshman qb. In conference play DT had 8 touchdowns against 10 interceptions. 4:5 td/int ratio, but we were beating up on freshman qbs, running the ball well, and playing great special teams, and it didn't matter.

He did good in nonconference play, with games like Idaho, Ball State, and UNLV. But if our qb replicates his conference stats (8 tds against 10 ints) we may think we're missing him. When in reality we just may not have as good a defense, special teams, and freshman qbs to beat up on.

• Upvote 3

5 of our 6 conference wins came against a team whose majority of snaps taken against us were by a freshman qb. In conference play DT had 8 touchdowns against 10 interceptions. 4:5 td/int ratio, but we were beating up on freshman qbs, running the ball well, and playing great special teams, and it didn't matter.

He did good in nonconference play, with games like Idaho, Ball State, and UNLV. But if our qb replicates his conference stats (8 tds against 10 ints) we may think we're missing him. When in reality we just may not have as good a defense, special teams, and freshman qbs to beat up on.

If we beat up on the freshman last year with defense and special teams than what is going to keep others from doing the same to Williams, our very own RS FRESHMAN qb?

• Upvote 1

If we beat up on the freshman last year with defense and special teams than what is going to keep others from doing the same to Williams, our very own RS FRESHMAN qb?

I'll answer that, but it's besides the point. My point was that we're going to need more than that from our qb in conference play this year. If they give us the same production in conference play that DT did, then people may be saying "we miss DT" when in reality we're getting his production, it's just not enough now. It's just a scenario.

But to answer your question, Dajon wouldn't be facing our 2013 defense week in and week out. He'd be facing defenses that are very unlikely to be close to that good. We also have a much better line than those teams like Southern Miss, UTEP, La Tech, etc had blocking for their freshman qb. I also personally think we have better skill players than those teams did last year.

He was 'good enough'. His numbers weren't all world and most of the time we just needed a QB to play smart. Not to put the team on his shoulders. Just rely on a great defense and a good special teams. Do I think we will have a 'good enough' QB this year? I am not sure. Probably not. But, there were a lot of factors that helped DT (turnovers from a better D than we will have this year, Brelan, Byrd, Smith, a great special teams that gave us solid field position, etc.) that I am not sure we will have this year anyway. I think it is apples to oranges to compare this year to last and declare DT a saint of QB saints.

Our great QB in DT couldn't even get Honorable Mention All-Conference Honors.... So others didn't really notice him either....

But, but, but HE WAS MVP OF THE HOD!!

This X as big of a number as you can think of.

I"m so glad we have another thread about QBs. It is a forum, so we can discuss anything.

I look forward to fresh perspectives, points finally being settled, and preliminary talks about what the next QB debate will concern.

better chance of that down in the cage fight

• Upvote 1

All the records I'm seeing in the prediction thread tell me that most people secretly didn't think DT was much of a QB at all.... Or they were all in the bathroom or a line for concessions during McNulty's snaps.

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 2