UNT QB Derek Thompson is named Plantiff in new NCAA lawsuit?

Harry

gallery_1_2_47390.jpg

Brian Gudmundson and Charles Zimmerman, attorneys in the law firm of Zimmerman Reed, wrote that the student athletes are victims of illegal price-fixing arrangements in which any student who defies NCAA rules is forced out of athletics. They describe it as the equivalent of a nationwide illegal boycott and allege it constitutes a conspiracy.

The suit, filed in U.S. District Court in Minneapolis on Friday, asks to be certified as a class-action suit, and lists as its plaintiff Derek Thompson, a resident of Glen Rose, Texas, who was a member of the University of North Texas football team from 2009 to 2013. He received a full athletic scholarship.

The NCAA and Big Ten did not respond to requests for comment about the suit.

Read more: http://www.startribune.com/local/270772621.html

This post has been promoted to an article

I'm all for players getting better medical care after they are done, and even a little more for cost of living expenses. But some of these proposals are way out there(I have no idea what this suit entails or what DT would want) but to get up to 5 years of college paid for, along with R&B while doing something that 80% of males that same age would want to do, is a pretty sweet gig.

• Upvote 3

This is a BS argument. No one forced DT to accept the scholarship. He could go start his own football team and charge people whatever he wanted to see him play, but he chose instead to come to UNT and play under the NCAA rules. The only reason I ever gave a damn about Derek Thompson was because he was the QB at MY school. He benefitted greatly from choosing to play at UNT and I am offended he is suing now. Ultimately, people root for the schools, not the players. And the players should not be compensated much beyond what they currently get because they are all replaceable. And after they are all replaced with new recruiting classes I will continue to root and spend money supporting THE SCHOOL. How much is Derek Thompson's labor as a football player really worth without North Texas? The free market says Nothing, that's why he is teaching high school and not playing professional football.

Edited by MeanGreenZen
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Here is an article excerpt from ESPN, explaining the lawsuit.

"In other developments Monday, the NCAA and its major college conferences have been sued by a Minneapolis law firm which claims they have violated antitrust laws by pocketing billions of dollars that student-athletes helped generate. The suit, as first reported by the Minneapolis Star Tribune, contends that playing revenue-generating sports such as college football and basketball is a full-time job, but scholarships fall short of accounting for the full cost of school attendance.

The Star Tribune says the suit seeks to be certified as a class-action suit and says Derek Thompson, a member of the University of North Texas football team from 2009 to 2013, is the plaintiff."

Read more: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11338781/ncaa-seeks-clarification-ed-obannon-ruling