DMNews: UNT will find out if it's a real program

Harry

Right. Mac knows that last season was a blip on a flatline for this program. Beat some big opponents. Become nationally ranked. Win CUSA championships. Those are the goals now; That's the next level. Start accomplishing those and maybe the conversation about adding the second deck on the student side won't be as laughable as it's been in the past.

I agree 100% with him that there are still many more goals to reach as a program. Last year was incredibly fun for hardcore Mean Green fans. We need seasons that are incredibly fun for currently completely disconnected students and alums as well as DFW area potential fans.

I highly doubt Mac wants his legacy at UNT to be, "Yeah, we had a couple winning seasons after a decade of losing." He wants to put this program on the map.

I agree with your post, but I'd add "regularly selling out games" to the list.

I believe, under McCarney, North Texas has the program and schedule to go bowling again this season, and this is will be our down year. If our impressive young players (Williams, Wilson, Smiley, Evans, Scott, Ellis,...) develop like I believe they will, I see no reason why this program won't be an annual contender for the C-USA title, and a fixture in the national rankings. I'm very optimistic about our future.

Also, tonight on FOX4 at 9, coach Mac will be interviewed.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 2

As I stated in a previous post. We will have a decent 7-5 or 8-4 record this year and then next year when our experience is back WATCH OUT you might be looking at a 9-3 or a 10-2 record not counting the bowls each year. I feel

After our record next year we will be back playing in

The Cotton Bowl like last year vs a big ten team, and beating them. And only then will we start gaining respect. Just wait and see. UNT is back and will really be back next year with more experienced players and depth.

• Upvote 2

McCarney is talking to his team and staff as much as anyone else.

This.

Maybe he's heard whispers of it during the spring/summer or maybe he's proactively fighting against the natural tendency for the program's participants to look around during fall camp and think, "growing pains should be understandable...." I think this statement of his is intended to speak against that attitude should it exist.

That said, I agree with Side Show Joe that a huge proof that we "real" is at the gate and I think Mac could have crafted his statement more effectively to compliment this. Unfortunately, the typical NT alum has a crossed arms attitude constantly asking this same question - while refusing to financially participate until it's been proved to their satisfaction. Rather than using a public setting to ask the question "are we a real program," if Mac had said, "we are hear to stay and intend to prove that this season...," I think he would have invited the fringe fan to be a part of that proof by buying tickets.

Ask the question of the team in private, present a confidence in public.

This.

Maybe he's heard whispers of it during the spring/summer or maybe he's proactively fighting against the natural tendency for the program's participants to look around during fall camp and think, "growing pains should be understandable...." I think this statement of his is intended to speak against that attitude should it exist.

That said, I agree with Side Show Joe that a huge proof that we "real" is at the gate and I think Mac could have crafted his statement more effectively to compliment this. Unfortunately, the typical NT alum has a crossed arms attitude constantly asking this same question - while refusing to financially participate until it's been proved to their satisfaction. Rather than using a public setting to ask the question "are we a real program," if Mac had said, "we are hear to stay and intend to prove that this season...," I think he would have invited the fringe fan to be a part of that proof by buying tickets.

Ask the question of the team in private, present a confidence in public.

I agree. I have been a supporter of Mac and his coach speak, but it is time to have some confidence and swagger. he brings up 4-28, with no indication that its gonna turn into 5-28, 6-28...

I am tired of hearing about 9 starters. Are we going to win or what? Stop being safe and coming with the maybes.

I agree that the woe is me is old. You just went 9-4. I dont expect bragging, but the delivery needs to be a little more aggressive. People do not respond to begging. Its a sign of weakness.

Time to go out on a limb. Dont guarantee victories, but you gotta create some buzz. You dont beg people to come to a party. You promote it like its the event of the year.

SMU just had a losing season and we just went bowling. Fire a shot. Get this rivalry started.

• Upvote 2

I agree. I have been a supporter of Mac and his coach speak, but it is time to have some confidence and swagger. he brings up 4-28, with no indication that its gonna turn into 5-28, 6-28...

I am tired of hearing about 9 starters. Are we going to win or what? Stop being safe and coming with the maybes.

I agree that the woe is me is old. You just went 9-4. I dont expect bragging, but the delivery needs to be a little more aggressive. People do not respond to begging. Its a sign of weakness.

Time to go out on a limb. Dont guarantee victories, but you gotta create some buzz. You dont beg people to come to a party. You promote it like its the event of the year.

SMU just had a losing season and we just went bowling. Fire a shot. Get this rivalry started.

Only buzz he needs to create is in the LR and on the field of play. I don't care what he says as long as our kids stay motivated and hungry he can be as negative as he wants. He's old and cranky anyway that's what old people do.

Is this his way of preparing the fans in case we take several steps back this year? That is what concerns me.

Put up or shut up year. Mac is right, IMO. Step one was to have a winning season. Step 2, consistent winning and build respect. Step 3, crack the top 25.

Unless we beat Texas, we don't crack the Top 25 for another 2 years addy least. It takes a lot to shrug off years of inferiority.

• Upvote 1