P5 Conferences Are Getting Autonomy

elig57

Right, making us their minor leagues.

Just like they are going to be minor league for the NFL.

So I guess that AA thing is really applicable.

If i understood correctly, the autonomy ruling will not apply to transfer policies.

"Areas that will not fall under the autonomy umbrella include postseason tournaments, transfer policies, scholarship limits, signing day and rules governing on-field play."

http://m.espn.go.com/extra/ncaa/story?storyId=11321551&src=desktop&rand=ref~%7B%22ref%22%3A%22https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F%22%7D

Edited by NT Alum '04

If i understood correctly, the autonomy ruling will not apply to transfer policies.

"Areas that will not fall under the autonomy umbrella include postseason tournaments, transfer policies, scholarship limits, signing day and rules governing on-field play."

http://m.espn.go.com/extra/ncaa/story?storyId=11321551&src=desktop&rand=ref~%7B%22ref%22%3A%22https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F%22%7D

That makes me feel a little better. They could really screw the other conferences by increasing their scholarship limits higher.

• Upvote 1

That makes me feel a little better. They could really screw the other conferences by increasing their scholarship limits higher.

It doesn't mean they won't change it in the future. Hell, they'll do whatever they want now. They'll make offers players can't refuse. I hope they eliminate us playing them altogether since they want it that way. Cancel every future game on our schedule with them. The pricks are even looking down their noses at the service academies. Screw them. Make it totally and completely separate. Edited by UNTexas

A guy on the CUSA board said this and I agree. Any reason this can't happen?

"The P5 schools should lose their tax exempt status and have to pay income tax on the profits. The donations would no longer be tax deductible so i assume the donations would dry up quickly.

If the P5 want to act like a professional league they should have to abide by the tax laws governing for profit corporations or partnerships."

• Upvote 3

A guy on the CUSA board said this and I agree. Any reason this can't happen?

"The P5 schools should lose their tax exempt status and have to pay income tax on the profits. The donations would no longer be tax deductible so i assume the donations would dry up quickly.

If the P5 want to act like a professional league they should have to abide by the tax laws governing for profit corporations or partnerships."

It's actually very true. The bowls need to lose their non-profit status.

The next step is P5 teams increasing scholarship limits from 85 to around 100. Why? To complete their real agenda: separating from the G5 and gaining every competitive edge to ensure they are never equal again.

Why?

As the Wayans brothers would say... Mo Money, Mo Money, Mo Money

This exactly what's going to happen. Our biggest fear is coming to life right before our eyes...

• Upvote 1

And they have the autonomy to change that anytime they want to, right?

You will see that change, along with a scholarship increase from 85 to 95 or 100 for the P5.

They get to make their own rules. If the lesser P5s can't afford it? Head your ass to the minors. More money for us REAL college football programs.

I think paying players is the main priority for the P5 at this point. As I have been thinking about it today, I'm not really sure much will change. So what if they offer an extra $5k per year to a player. Is that money really enough to ride the bench for their career? Probably not.

Student athletes make it out of college alive and well all the time. I don't think a few thousand dollars is going to separate the have and have-nots as much as we think it will. At least initially.

• Upvote 1

And they have the autonomy to change that anytime they want to, right?

You will see that change, along with a scholarship increase from 85 to 95 or 100 for the P5.

They get to make their own rules. If the lesser P5s can't afford it? Head your ass to the minors. More money for us REAL college football programs.

The point of that statement is that they do not have the autonomy to change those. They ring-fenced the areas that they can make their own changes and rules and left the rest for the NCAA. It would have to be brought to a vote to get that changed.

I hate to say this, but I think that the best course of action for the G5 is to get more move ups so that we have the same number, or more, votes than the P5. Safety in numbers would probably be a good thing about now.

• Upvote 2

The issue I have with this is there is no way to get in the club. I would be completely behind this if they said, ok here are the rules to be P5: XX millions in budget, attendance, stadium size, athlete subsidies, etc. A clear list of requirements for schools. If UNT/CUSA offer the exact same thing why can't we have equal footing and get in on the big money? It's complete *%$#! that we are automatically pushed out from the start.

• Upvote 4

The issue I have with this is there is no way to get in the club. I would be completely behind this if they said, ok here are the rules to be P5: XX millions in budget, attendance, stadium size, athlete subsidies, etc. A clear list of requirements for schools. If UNT/CUSA offer the exact same thing why can't we have equal footing and get in on the big money? It's complete *%$#! that we are automatically pushed out from the start.

The P5 will argue that you can always get invited if you can prove that you should be included. Translated: no chance in hell that will ever happen. If Boise State couldn't get included or UConn couldn't get included, then the rest of us have no chance.

I think paying players is the main priority for the P5 at this point. As I have been thinking about it today, I'm not really sure much will change. So what if they offer an extra $5k per year to a player. Is that money really enough to ride the bench for their career? Probably not.

Student athletes make it out of college alive and well all the time. I don't think a few thousand dollars is going to separate the have and have-nots as much as we think it will. At least initially.

The point of that statement is that they do not have the autonomy to change those. They ring-fenced the areas that they can make their own changes and rules and left the rest for the NCAA. It would have to be brought to a vote to get that changed.

These two guys "GET IT." Most of the rest of you are freaking the hell out.

How many of you who are panicking have actually read the rules around this added autonomy?

This is ALL about giving the P5 schools the flexibility to preemptively dodge any rulings that could have come out of these lawsuits that could have then eventually opened the door for student athletes to become employees.

Edited by TIgreen01

Not to be a downer, but moving to the Big 12 is all but an impossibility. We've got a better chance of getting into the SEC than we do the Big XII (and I'd put that at close to zero, too).

The Big XII has absolutely no use for another Dallas-area school. If they expand again, the only Texas schools with an honest shot is UH. The Houston market will be in contention at some point, and the SEC already has a strong hold on it, with LSU and A&M fanbases well-represented.

This is a bad day for UNT sports. But I do hope we kick the fire out of Texas on the 30th. For some reason, that feels like our best response.

Bad day for UNT sports? This is a bad day for anyone not in the power conferences.

• Upvote 1

The P5 will argue that you can always get invited if you can prove that you should be included. Translated: no chance in hell that will ever happen. If Boise State couldn't get included or UConn couldn't get included, then the rest of us have no chance.

I don't see how they could make that argument now? I don't see a better reason to be invited than by matching the new stipends etc.

If I were CUSA I would ask to be included if all teams can keep up with the P5.

I hate to say this, but I think that the best course of action for the G5 is to get more move ups so that we have the same number, or more, votes than the P5. Safety in numbers would probably be a good thing about now.

They will be added in time. This is the first step of a major break and the end of college football.

Norm had a segment on the split. And his comment was, make no mistake…..there was a definite split yesterday.

He talked about UNT, SMU, Boise, Cincinnati, etc. Good or growing programs that are basically screwed. Then he pointed out the "lucky" programs: TCU was the first school he named, Utah, Rutgers, etc.

They're in. Not necessarily because of substance but because they're in the power conferences period. (I'm not downplaying what TCU has accomplished….)

But that's what really sucks about the whole thing……what determines if you're "in?"

Maddening…..

Of the 64 "at the table" really 20 or so programs run it.

How long before Alabama, Texas, USC, etc decide they don't want Vanderbilt, Iowa St, Utah, TCU, Rutgers, Indiana, etc?

The blatantness of the greed is what's amazing….

Norm had a segment on the split. And his comment was, make no mistake…..there was a definite split yesterday.

He talked about UNT, SMU, Boise, Cincinnati, etc. Good or growing programs that are basically screwed. Then he pointed out the "lucky" programs: TCU was the first school he named, Utah, Rutgers, etc.

They're in. Not necessarily because of substance but because they're in the power conferences period. (I'm not downplaying what TCU has accomplished….)

But that's what really sucks about the whole thing……what determines if you're "in?"

Maddening…..

Of the 64 "at the table" really 20 or so programs run it.

How long before Alabama, Texas, USC, etc decide they don't want Vanderbilt, Iowa St, Utah, TCU, Rutgers, Indiana, etc?

The blatantness of the greed is what's amazing….

This. There is no clear criteria of who is in. It's a "We say who is in" situation.

TCU is about to get a full dance card when the P5 just plays themselves. They are going to get invites from every power across the country. Same with Kansas, Kentucky, Indiana, Washington State, etc. These are gonna be the new G5 OOC games at Alabama, Florida, Oklahoma, Texas, USC, Ohio State, etc...

All that money in those p5 conferences is awesome, except when you can never do anything better than 5-7 every year because you don't get to schedule an FCS team and two G5 schools in OOC anymore (see Tech for the last 10 years).

• Upvote 1

This. There is no clear criteria of who is in. It's a "We say who is in" situation.

The criteria is, indirectly, the size of your resources (budget, revenues, etc). TCU is in because they spend like a top 20 football program. Their overall budget is right in line with the rest of the Big 12 (outside of Texas, OU, OSU).

Listen to what Snyder said. It. Is. A. Business. Period.

....has been for a while now.

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 1

Its not like this is any big surprise. Hell, the networks, conferences, and administrations of these P5 schools have been greasing the wheels for this for a while now.

The real question is whether UNT will still see decent fan support with this new setup or if this will knock us back to the old Fouts SLC days where we drew less than 10K for every game. I'd have to suspect that UNT still playing SMU, Rice, UTEP, UTSA, La Tech, Southern Miss, and Army would still draw better than we did when we played SFA, SHSU, SWT, NE La, NW State, McNeese State, and Nicholls State, right? Would you still follow the program closely and attend games after this happens? I think I still will. If I put up with 1-aa in the SLC, then this would still be a much better setup than what we had back then.

Its not like this is any big surprise. Hell, the networks, conferences, and administrations of these P5 schools have been greasing the wheels for this for a while now.

The real question is whether UNT will still see decent fan support with this new setup or if this will knock us back to the old Fouts SLC days where we drew less than 10K for every game. I'd have to suspect that UNT still playing SMU, Rice, UTEP, UTSA, La Tech, Southern Miss, and Army would still draw better than we did when we played SFA, SHSU, SWT, NE La, NW State, McNeese State, and Nicholls State, right? Would you still follow the program closely and attend games after this happens? I think I still will. If I put up with 1-aa in the SLC, then this would still be a much better setup than what we had back then.

I will be there with ya. The only question that relates to my personal interest is whether or not the P5 are just going to become the D-League for the NFL. I have no interest in watching that.

The criteria is, indirectly, the size of your resources (budget, revenues, etc). TCU is in because they spend like a top 20 football program. Their overall budget is right in line with the rest of the Big 12 (outside of Texas, OU, OSU).

Listen to what Snyder said. It. Is. A. Business. Period.

....has been for a while now.

TCU invested big into their football program but their annual budget is estimated around 52 million. #20 California spent 90 million. I don't think they are close to spending like a top 20 team.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/schools/finances/

Much higher than us of course but just saying they aren't close to the top of the spending chart.

Edited by Green Otaku

What if the remaining 45 of the 65 joined US.

Purely hypothetical fun, and not likely...

The little guys in the P5 and the larger guys in the G5 must do something. I think it would be fantastic if above happened. Talking about a double fist to the "blue bloods," this would be it. The smaller P5's involved, which there are many, would then have a say. Rather than being drug through the mud in order to keep up. For us "overreacting," this is not an overreaction. This is a reality check and if we sit back idling trying to figure out a decision this will not end well for G5's. Something must be done.