UH's new football stadium 'a game-changer'

Harry

In the college athletics arms race, the University of Houston has been like a country that set aside almost no budget for its army.

The school barely contributed to the ludicrousness that produced $15 billion in sports facilities spending between 1995 and 2005, according to Street & Smith's Business Journal.

But with construction on the new TDECU Stadium in its final stages - the grand opening is slated for an Aug. 29 tilt against the University of Texas-San Antonio - UH has joined the fray.

If you haven't heard, it is time to take note. With a $25 million basketball practice facility on tap, acknowledgement of the desperate need for a basketball arena, meeting rooms and locker room projects at the softball field, relatively new football practice fields and other work around the campus, UH athletics is indeed under construction.

Read more: http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/columnists/solomon/article/UH-s-new-football-stadium-a-game-changer-5670873.php

It's crazy how much top universities and high school programs are spending on athletic facilities today. And now we are close to paying the student even more than their earned scholarship?! I realize the "salary" we will be looking to pay is not a lot but this is only the beginning. Classic case of start small to get it passed then slowly increase the salaries.

Call me old fashion, but I do believe this is going to lead college football more towards the insanity of the NFL and it's ridiculous contracts. Part of the reason I love college football, over the NFL, are the sacrifices these kids make for the love of their schools and the game. I realize sacrifices made but I also feel it builds character and teaches some how to meet and over come tough decisions in life.

In my opinion it's the big time programs pushing these efforts to separate themselves further from the mid-levels. I'm afraid it' could ruin what I love about the game at the college level.

• Upvote 5

Yep, it's all about the all mighty buck knowing it's not right. If these kids start making great money and creating this crazy expensive life style and heaven forbid they didn't get drafted..... Well what next?! They expect they can go get any job that will continue their new 8 bedroom 10,000 sqft house but having hard time finding a job and learning about a thing called a Budget. It appears to me they are setting up these young athletes and eventually new grad for possible failure. Very very scary.

And the school know needs to raise more money... Well let's raise the cost of our tickets!! Then we will have it like the NFL in which most families can no longer afford to take their family to see a game!!

The money is the motive in every step the P5's take and it's becoming nauseating. Good to see a P5 coach call them out. This whole thing about the student "earning" a degree is becoming more and more a joke every day. Hopefully a clean congress can get involved and step on throats. GMG