2014 Mean Green Win/Loss Record?

wardly

Ok guys here goes out on a limb. I just hope it doesn't get sawed off. We are able on imotion alone come up with a 3 point win over Texas, then beat SMU, Nichols State,

And then lose a tough one to Indiana. Then we beat LaTech, FAU, FIU, UAB, UTEP, So.Miss, and lose to Rice bearly and

UTSA in the last minutes. We rhen go to the New Mexico Bowl and beat Colorado State for a 10 and 3 record, but wait till next year, we willreally surprise everyone. Go UNT Go NORTH TEXAS

Wins:
Nichols St
FIU
UTEP

good maybes:

FAU

UAB

Southern Miss

50/50:

SMU

La Tech

bad maybes:

Indiana

Rice
UTSA

Loss:
Texas

overall I think about 7-5

I do think there is hope in absolutely every game thogh. And even though I put UT as a loss here, there is a shot. I think the ceiling of this team will be just as high as last season, but I expect a lot of inconsistency with all the lack of experience.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2

Beat UT. Beat SMU. Beat LaTech. Beat Nicholls St. Beat IU. Beat UAB. Beat SoMiss. Beat Rice. Beat FAU. Beat UTEP. Beat FIU. Beat UTSA.

Beat Marshall in CUSA Championship. Then, let the chips fall where they may. First things first, #Hit1 on 8/30!

For those who think I'm delusional, you probably picked us to finish below .500 and you're far more delusional than I am. I expect Chico will have a lot of helmets flipped upside down in his office this year.

Wins: Nicholls, UAB, SoMiss, UTEP, FIU

We win 2 of these: SMU, LaTech, UTSA, FAU, Rice

Losses: Texas, Indiana, Rice

7-5 with an unsettled QB position. If one of the QB's comes out strong and grabs the reigns by the midway point, then 8-4 is possible and that gives us a chance in the final game in San Antonio.

Sheesh, my memory is going. Looking back at the schedule we really did blow some teams away.

Yeah, and even that Ball State game we had compete control in the second half, and there was very little doubt that. Out scored them 18-0 in the second half and just controlled the game.

I've been saying this for a while, but I think we could have either as good a record or even better despite maybe not being as good a team. This conference is still pretty down. Plus I think our offense could be better with this o-line and skill players.

Last year we were 6-2 in conference despite 8 touchdowns against 10 interceptions thrown by our qb in conference games. If our passing game takes a step forward from that, then we should still win plenty of games despite a dropoff on defense, and likely special teams. Also, if we could turn some of those botched-game losses into wins.

I would honestly be surprised with anything less than 8-4. The feel around camp just seems like this team is all focus and they have some unfinished business that they didn't accomplish last year. I'll say 9-3.

I still feel like I did going into last season. Because of the amount of turnover, I just don't know what this team is and I don't know that they felt like they had an identity at this point last year either. With the season we had last year, I feel much more optimistic and I think the players feel like they know what kind of team they will be (which is far more important than my understanding of who they are). I think we may still struggle some early as our new starters find their footing, but I think we are in for a 7-5 or 8-4 type of season with how this schedule plays out.

• Upvote 2

I still feel like I did going into last season. Because of the amount of turnover, I just don't know what this team is and I don't know that they felt like they had an identity at this point last year either. With the season we had last year, I feel much more optimistic and I think the players feel like they know what kind of team they will be (which is far more important than my understanding of who they are). I think we may still struggle some early as our new starters find their footing, but I think we are in for a 7-5 or 8-4 type of season with how this schedule plays out.

To me, that is the paradox of the opinion going into this season. For one, no one thought our defensive line last year was going to be very good. It turned out to be the best in C-USA. There were several guys who had big years. Remember DT's last game before the start of last season was that disappointing showing against Western Kentucky when we were leading in the 4th quarter and basically gave them the game with the ill advised INT. There are too many good players who are coming back that made major contributions to this team. Why are they being ignored? I'm talking about Laramie Lee, James Jones, Kenny Buyers, Zach Whitfield, Derek Akunne, Alex Lincoln, Daryl Mason, Blake Macek, Zach Paul, Mason YBarbo, Cyril Lemon, Antonio Johnson, Kaydon Kirby, Antoinne Jimmerson, Reggie Pegram, Carlos Harris, Marcus Smith...there are others. These teams we are playing are having to reload at positions as well. Heckfire even UTSA has a huge question mark at the QB position where they lose Soza who was the heart and soul of that team for 5 years.

I think the C-USA coaches picked UNT to win the West because they see that Mac and staff has developed a system and culture of success. The names of the players may change but they will still be physical, protect the ball and be in excellent shape. The biggest issue I can see affecting this team is injuries but that is always the case. Last season was the healthiest I have seen in 15 years.

I am a big believer in that the people who win you games are the guys who start the play with a hand on the ground.

On the offensive side, I do expect to take a step back because after the linemen, QB is the most important spot. However, I don't think it will be a *huge* step back because with this line a qb who can just step back make a quick decision and get the ball out will do ok. That's the main reason I think Andrew McNulty starts, even though I am a Dajon fan. All in all, the oline does well and everyone does well on the offense.

However, I think we do take a big step back on the defense. There were questions about the dline last year, but if memory serves me correctly there was still 30+ starts on it. No doubt, many of them stepped up and played better that expected, but it was directly related to the experience they already had. There is very little returning starts on this line. I expect them to struggle, especially early. Again, all in all if the dline does poorly then the entire defense does poorly.

Still, our schedule is really soft this year.

7-5 is my expectation, hope they prove me wrong and win the conference.

Edited by Cerebus
  • Upvote 1

To me, that is the paradox of the opinion going into this season. For one, no one thought our defensive line last year was going to be very good. It turned out to be the best in C-USA. There were several guys who had big years. Remember DT's last game before the start of last season was that disappointing showing against Western Kentucky when we were leading in the 4th quarter and basically gave them the game with the ill advised INT. There are too many good players who are coming back that made major contributions to this team. Why are they being ignored? I'm talking about Laramie Lee, James Jones, Kenny Buyers, Zach Whitfield, Derek Akunne, Alex Lincoln, Daryl Mason, Blake Macek, Zach Paul, Mason YBarbo, Cyril Lemon, Antonio Johnson, Kaydon Kirby, Antoinne Jimmerson, Reggie Pegram, Carlos Harris, Marcus Smith...there are others. These teams we are playing are having to reload at positions as well. Heckfire even UTSA has a huge question mark at the QB position where they lose Soza who was the heart and soul of that team for 5 years.

I think the C-USA coaches picked UNT to win the West because they see that Mac and staff has developed a system and culture of success. The names of the players may change but they will still be physical, protect the ball and be in excellent shape. The biggest issue I can see affecting this team is injuries but that is always the case. Last season was the healthiest I have seen in 15 years.

I agree. This time last year there were 4 players on the preseason CUSA all conf candidate list. Z orr, lemon, ybarbo, and Whitfield.

This year we have 9. Ybarbo, lemon, Kirby, Johnson, akunne, jjones, buyers, lee, and macek.

5 of these players already made all cusa last year.

• Upvote 2

I agree. This time last year there were 4 players on the preseason CUSA all conf candidate list. Z orr, lemon, ybarbo, and Whitfield.

This year we have 9. Ybarbo, lemon, Kirby, Johnson, akunne, jjones, buyers, lee, and macek.

5 of these players already made all cusa last year.

Dang, you guys are making me re-think my 7-5 prediction!! I wanna say 8-4 or even 9-3 just because of that but I'm going to remain conservative and keep my 7-5. But just know that I definitely think this team is capable of running the table. While I don't see that happening, I'd be less surprised than those outside our program would be.

I dunno...I about crapped my pants when he went in for DT against Georgia, and then he went what, 5-for-5? I'm staying conservative but if they can pull out the "should win" games instead of making us refer to them as "should have won" I could see possibly pulling out 10 wins or more this year.