Ash: Giving up football was suggested, but I didn't consider it

Harry

AUSTIN, Texas — Texas quarterback David Ash settled in to his seat and was quickly surrounded by a throng of reporters that included nine television cameras and even more microphones pushing toward his face.

“It’s good to be back,” Ash said as if he loved the attention. “Did you miss me?”

Ash never used to look comfortable facing all the cameras and the questions that come with them, but the relief that comes with knowing that he will be playing football again was clear Monday, even if he still had to talk about his head and whether he should have quit the game after concussion symptoms wiped out most of his 2013 season.

Ash hadn’t spoken publicly since before Texas lost at BYU in the second game last season when he suffered concussion in the second half. He tried to return two weeks later against Kansas State but lasted only one half before he was sidelined again.

He spent much of the rest of the season watching from afar. Sometimes, Texas officials wouldn’t even let him stand under the bright lights of the stadium. Now Ash has been cleared by team doctors for full participation — hits and all — in training camp.

“I’m so thankful I get to do this. Nothing’s guaranteed and I for sure learned that. I feel so blessed that I get another opportunity to play this game,” Ash said.

read more: http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/texas-longhorns/20140804-texas-qb-david-ash-giving-up-football-was-suggested-but-i-didn-t-consider-it.ece