Rivalries and Conference USA

10Eagle10

Most in this thread have run from the thought of UTSA as a rival but if Mac publicly simply said something like "we aim for payback in San Antonio..." or for a local rival SMU "we will no longer concede the metroplex to another football program," I think an attitude of rivalry among fans would develop/heighten.

Sometimes, it's necessary to verbally write a check and be prepared to deal with the consequences.

this.

The Dallas area has pro teams with owners like Cuban and Jerry Jones. Step up the swagger.

Like you said, write a check and hold yourself, your team and coaches accountable.

For me, Rice is already a rivalry game. My brother has season tickets for Rice and I have mine. This season, my family will be down there rooting for the Mean Green, right in the middle of the Rice season ticket holders. Our teams should have a strong rivalry. The two largest cities in Texas should be rivals.

The 10 game series with SMU should create a true rivalry. School and conference smack is on the line. It will be interesting to see if DFW recruiting for the AAC and C-USA is influenced by the winner of that annual game.

Since UTSA came to Apogee and kick our cans last season, I guess they will be a rival too. I'm still angry about that loss.

I love the line-up in C-USA West. Any of our match-ups have the potential to become a rivalry.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 1

This post got me thinking about Mac's hope to create rivalries within CUSA. Maybe Mac should take a note from some more charismatic coaches around the country and "fire a shot" in the media to kick start things.

Dabo Sweeny and Steve Spurier went at each other in animated, highly publicized fashion just weeks ago...

"The Clemson-South Carolina rivalry has been spiced up considerably in recent years with some of the verbal volleys between Spurrier and Swinney."

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/post/_/id/11248172/dabo-swinney-steve-spurrier-clash-pluto-status-planet

Most in this thread have run from the thought of UTSA as a rival but if Mac publicly simply said something like "we aim for payback in San Antonio..." or for a local rival SMU "we will no longer concede the metroplex to another football program," I think an attitude of rivalry among fans would develop/heighten.

Sometimes, it's necessary to verbally write a check and be prepared to deal with the consequences.

Hit the nail on the head.

Hit the nail on the head.

I like the thought, but I always think, " just wait until they get their foot put in their mouth." Mac knows what we are and when the time comes, he'll respond, but he won't be the first to throw the punch, and he'll put the other coach in his place.

For me, Rice is already a rivalry game. My brother has season tickets for Rice and I have mine. This season, my family will be down there rooting for the Mean Green, right in the middle of the Rice season ticket holders. Our teams should have a strong rivalry. The two largest cities in Texas should be rivals.

The 10 game series with SMU should create a true rivalry. School and conference smack is on the line. It will be interesting to see if DFW recruiting for the AAC and C-USA is influenced by the winner of that annual game.

Since UTSA came to Apogee and kick our cans last season, I guess they will be a rival too. I'm still angry about that loss.

I love the line-up in C-USA West. Any of our match-ups have the potential to become a rivalry.

UTSA seems like the most likely candidate for a rival. The similarities between UNT and Rice and pretty slim. UNT is a large public school with above average academics whereas Rice is a small private school with elite academics (top 25 in the nation -- UNT is just nowhere close to that). Both UNT and Rice are in large metro areas, but really neither school has a dominant presence in its metro area, so whatever benefits come from the size of each's metro area are pretty well blunted as far as their contribution to a potential rivalry is concerned.

Edited by nana21
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

In state rivals at this point should be UTSA and SMU (considering our schedule). I would not mind adding Texas State or Rice. I am all for regional games. I rather play Texas schools then have the team travel half way across the country to play some other team...

In state rivals at this point should be UTSA and SMU (considering our schedule). I would not mind adding Texas State or Rice. I am all for regional games. I rather play Texas schools then have the team travel half way across the country to play some other team...

Of course. Besides, interstate games always mean more to people unless you're playing a powerhouse program.