Plan in place to get TWU students to UNT football games

Sure, why not. Question is will they care enough to come? What's the connection? Ya we live in the same town, but haven't we always?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be a debbie downer. I +1'd this idea in a heartbeat but I'm just curious how this is being pitched to actually get them *in* apogee and not just hanging out under tents and chairs all game talking about TWU stuff.

Edited by Stan R
  • Upvote 1

Get them in. Not sure if TWU has a Greek life, but if they do then get our Greeks to plan a tailgate mixer. It's a win-win for everyone. GMG

There are sororities here but no fraternities. Seems like it could work pretty well. Except don't most frats have sororities that they match up with for tailgaiting and stuff? I don't know anything about Greek life admittedly.

There are sororities here but no fraternities. Seems like it could work pretty well. Except don't most frats have sororities that they match up with for tailgaiting and stuff? I don't know anything about Greek life admittedly.

It all really starts with a lower-case "g". The rest is just variations on a loose theme.

I seem to recall that during the Hayden Fry era a similar idea was at least proposed. I agree with 90......this is loooong overdue.

I would take it some steps further. I would look at recruiting TWU music majors to be in the marching band. Have their uni's decorated with some maroon. And if there is an identified section of TWU students in the stadium, then maybe some TWU cheerleaders to work that section.

• Downvote 3

In the 70s and 80s it was the standard, and then for a long time Greeks had a gap where they just didn't care. Now, thanks to a few of my brothers, and the opening of Apogee/tailgating on the Hill, Greek tailgates are organized with games, drinks, food, etc., all while paired up with a sorority. Funny thing is though, there are almost double the fraternities on campus as there are sororities, so a lot of dudes who don't plan early enough (or ever) get left out. Those not fortunate enough (or not competent enough) to grab one of our outstanding women's organizations before the season starts should definitely check into the TWU girls.

They can't be that bad... right?

.... to actually get them *in* apogee and not just hanging out under tents and chairs all game talking about TWU stuff.

Not picking on you, specifically, but I've never understood why so many on this board get bent out of shape over lots of tailgaters not entering the games. When the team is worth watching (to the casual fan/student), then they will come inside.

Short of that, get as many people as humanly possible out there tailgating! Who ever wanted to go to a party with LESS pretty girls? Get as many out there as freaking possible. Then it's up to the AD to schedule high interest opponents and the team to beat them....attendance will take care of itself.

I don't know if it's one person, group, or several---but in the last couple of months we have seen announcements on an agreement with the DCTA for free train rides and shuttle service to Apogee and now free tailgating and game tickets for TWU students. Awesome job by whoever is responsible!

• Upvote 5

http://www.twu.edu/greek-life/phi-beta-sigma.asp

Just thought it might be interesting to know that they do, apparently, now have fraternities.

• Upvote 1

I have no problem with tailgaters hanging out during games, however I disagree with the comment about name opponents will bring them in Apogee. If someone is not a fan of sports in general it will never matter whom we are playing on a particular Saturday. We could in effect just have a large contingent that is just happy socializing around the stadium during games. That neither harms nor benefits the athletic department.

I guess we could sell them beverages and snacks and make a profit off of that if they never make it into games. Maybe I'm just too pessimistic. I still think the idea is fantastic and agree with you - kudos to whomever is making this happen and reaching out to TWU.

In essence I keep coming back to SilverEagle's comments about game day pageantry. We need to make the REAL party take place IN apogee not OUTSIDE of it. Regardless of who we play. That will help us get everyone in the stadium to see the event, not the game.

Edited by Stan R
  • Upvote 3

Not picking on you, specifically, but I've never understood why so many on this board get bent out of shape over lots of tailgaters not entering the games. When the team is worth watching (to the casual fan/student), then they will come inside.

Would you say that we had that kind of season in 2013? If so, then your conclusion is incorrect as I saw plenty of people who never left their tailgate area and we had a good team to watch.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

http://www.twu.edu/greek-life/phi-beta-sigma.asp

Just thought it might be interesting to know that they do, apparently, now have fraternities.

Yeah, but the IFC fraternities are the ones that throw tailgates. Typically Multicultural council fraternities have a total of 3-7 guys.

• Upvote 1

Short of that, get as many people as humanly possible out there tailgating! Who ever wanted to go to a party with LESS pretty girls? Get as many out there as freaking possible. Then it's up to the AD to schedule high interest opponents and the team to beat them....attendance will take care of itself.

I don't know if it's one person, group, or several---but in the last couple of months we have seen announcements on an agreement with the DCTA for free train rides and shuttle service to Apogee and now free tailgating and game tickets for TWU students. Awesome job by whoever is responsible!

It happens everywhere there is a good tailgating scene, but why should the University provide space and atmosphere for a group of people not interested in the program? For the most part at NT, the tailgating is on university property and is allowed as part of the "game" experience. IMO, tailgating should be reserved for fans; and not allowed for people who have no intention of going to the game.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1