June Jones: C-USA, AAC, etc. should play SPRING football

"I think the have-nots should go ahead and move to the spring just like the USFL did. I think that there's an opportunity to do a complete other side of that division, and I think that if we don't think that way as a group of have-nots, we're going to get left behind."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/24627091/smus-june-jones-have-not-conferences-should-play-in-spring-like-usfl

Stupidest statement by a coach in 2014. The P5 " mythical" national championship between 4 picked teams is a farce made for TV. If the BB FINAL FOUR had only picked 4 teams which of the ones that made it would have been there with the exception of Florida? Unless you decide a champion on the field among 16 teams with all 1-A conference champions represented and the remainder being from the highest ranked BCS teams this farce is only minutely better than the previous " National Championship".

• Upvote 2

Here's my theory: He's using the media to speak to SMU boosters. By using the term "have-nots" he hopes to motivate boosters to pull out the checkbook and ask, "how much would it take to move us into the 'haves' category?"

I would think that, financially speaking, he and Larry Brown have SMU's boosters pretty close to "maxed out." And, financially speaking, SMU might well be called one of the "haves."

If the P5 break off, I don't think it is that bad an idea as many in this thread have mentioned.

One of the things that the G5 and FCS schools have had in their favor is the fact that they actually got to play--and get paid by--the P5 schools. In a lot of cases, especially here in the Helwig years, those games paid the athletic budget for the year. So just playing the rest of their schedule against non-AQ competition was accepted by the G5, since they already got paid and had some network pay them to play games in non-traditional times for tv coverage. Now, with the P5 split more probable every day, and facing the reality that we won't probably get to play them in anything anymore, including the very few times we played them in a bowl game, the revenues are about to really drop for a lot of schools. I don't think playing in the spring is the answer, but setting up a true playoff, and having regular season games played in December when the p5 aren't playing, as well as having your playoffs in later January and maybe even playing all of your games on non-Saturday and Sunday dates might be a few ways to differentiate your league against the other competition.

One thing is for sure--we, as fans of non-AQ schools, are going to face the reality of changing our views on college football sustainability at this level and to accept very different possibilities from scheduling and tv coverage than what we have been used to over the years. Games on weeknights all season long, playoffs in January every year, and even having the season start in late September/early October are all possibilities that I suspect we may have to understand and accept in the near future.

maybe even playing all of your games on non-Saturday and Sunday dates might be a few ways to differentiate your league against the other competition.

That would probably end my college football attendance career. It's really difficult for me to make the weeknight games. I've made one since Apogee opened. If every game is suddenly a Tuesday-Thursday affair, it simply isn't worth the money for me to make one or two of six home games each year. Makes the per game expense outlandish.

My personal attraction to college football lies as much as the whole day Tailgating/Game experience as it does in the action on the field. Those are six days each year that I get to let the world fade away and simply relax. Hauling ass up the 35 through rush hour traffic to barely make kickoff, sit there for a couple hours with a diet Coke in my hand, and leave in the third quarter to get my kid to bed on a school night just isn't nearly as attractive.

• Upvote 2

That would probably end my college football attendance career. It's really difficult for me to make the weeknight games. I've made one since Apogee opened. If every game is suddenly a Tuesday-Thursday affair, it simply isn't worth the money for me to make one or two of six home games each year. Makes the per game expense outlandish.

My personal attraction to college football lies as much as the whole day Tailgating/Game experience as it does in the action on the field. Those are six days each year that I get to let the world fade away and simply relax. Hauling ass up the 35 through rush hour traffic to barely make kickoff, sit there for a couple hours with a diet Coke in my hand, and leave in the third quarter to get my kid to bed on a school night just isn't nearly as attractive.

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1

Guy has corage to come up with original idea and gets lambasted.the fanbase would triple if you played in spring.

So much to comment on here. Not sure how competing with the NBA, NHL, MLB, and college basketball is going to triple the fan base.

Letting the grammar piece of this comment go, though it is very tempting.

• Upvote 2

If MrJones wants to play spring football then maybe we should help lead them in that direction with a huge beatdown showing how far they have fallen, and show them who the leading team in the metroplex really is no matter what some think. Since SMU also plays TCU we should make certain we give them a larger beatdown than they get from TCU to show the metroplex just why TCU is afraid to play us and lose to the Mean Green. GO UNT.

• Upvote 1

So much to comment on here. Not sure how competing with the NBA, NHL, MLB, and college basketball is going to triple the fan base.

Letting the grammar piece of this comment go, though it is very tempting.

Well, we, as the non-P5, already compete with the P5, NFL, NBA, and NHL in the fall as well as MLB into October. A spring season would eliminate the NFL, the P5, and MLB only late in the season. It seems like it wouldn't hurt anymore than it already does. And to the individual that mentioned the heat, it would be no different than what we already experience.... some games hot moving to cold games- only it would be in reverse. All I am saying is that it isn't as bad an idea as a lot make it out to be.

• Upvote 1