GMG.com Places to eat and drink in Denton -- 2014 version

Harry

I took six non-denton friends out to the square yesterday. Denton has six new big fans. Happens every time. I gotta stop doing that! Place is gonna get crowded!

Where'd y'all go? We should start a top 5 or 10 things to do on Denton Square in anticipation that a lot of new faces will visit there on the trains this year.

East Side, Oak Street, Beth Marie, Loophole, and they went to Paschall's after I left. We were really hoping for an appearance by the Waffle Wagon, but no luck.

Oh. I can't leave out the opera bookstore and atomic candy.

The waffle Wagon is on a 2 week hiatus...started last week...love that wagon...they know me by name...owner is an ex military badass. ..

• Upvote 2

East Side, Oak Street, Beth Marie, Loophole, and they went to Paschall's after I left. We were really hoping for an appearance by the Waffle Wagon, but no luck.

Oh. I can't leave out the opera bookstore and atomic candy.

Good way to keep up with who will be serving at Austin St. Truck Stop -

https://www.facebook.com/AustinStTruckStop

http://www.austinsttruckstop.com

• 3 months later...

I don't know how I feel about that. I love that she's there, but I greatly prefer Sabrocita, and it's always a stretch for me to get to Denton before her 3pm closing time.

Agree about TL. Heard rave reviews about it for a while. Have been in there 4 times. It was always just ok. I have tried most of the taco places on Taco Alley (McKinney St.) now--with the caveat that I have not tried Sabrocita--and so far, La Estrella is at the top of the list. TL lost a lot of luster when I discovered they were not making their tortillas.

EDIT--I am mistaken. I have been to Sabrocita twice. Tortillas are legit. Barbacoa was VERY disappointing the time I went. Carnitas were not much better. I probably caught them on a bad day, but have not been able to get my wife to go back.

Edited by LongJim

Conversely, I have not tried La Estrella. Maybe I'll stop by tomorrow before the game.

Also, Sabrocita's tortillas are made on site, but by a machine.

If you're ever down Carrollton way on Beltine, they're other location has fantastic rotisseried chicken. Just fantastic.

I would like to try Sabrocita again, actually. Their tortillas are good, for sure, machine or not. If you get to Estrella, make sure to let us know how it was. :)

I don't know how I feel about that. I love that she's there, but I greatly prefer Sabrocita, and it's always a stretch for me to get to Denton before her 3pm closing time.

Sabrocita is just so damn good and so damn cheap. It's also great post-Fry Street food.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Lovely Take 1

I would like to try Sabrocita again, actually. Their tortillas are good, for sure, machine or not. If you get to Estrella, make sure to let us know how it was. :)

Thing about Sabrocita is timing. Their meat menu changes daily and is on a hand written list by the cash register. There is a finite amount of it, so you can find yourself being the last person there getting the dried out dregs or nothing at all because they ran out. Go relatively early morning, and you've got better odds. Sunday afternoon, on the other hand, fuggedaboutit. You'll get nothing and you'll like it.

Barawachi's Indian Cuisine in the Carriage Square Shopping Center on C St.

Oh man. I did the lunch buffet there...once. It was tasty. Too tasty. Much tastier than a starving grad student like me should be diving into a couple hours before a three-hour class. I may have snored during the lecture that evening from an Indian food coma.

• Upvote 1

Oh man. I did the lunch buffet there...once. It was tasty. Too tasty. Much tastier than a starving grad student like me should be diving into a couple hours before a three-hour class. I may have snored during the lecture that evening from an Indian food coma.

Yeah, it's definitely a must-do place when I'm in Denton.

• Upvote 1

Wanted to give this a nod, also...

Hooligan's--the Reuben and Cuban sandwiches are as good as you'll find in Denton.

My wife and I ate there once. Horrible food (under cooked chicken, cold sauces, and cold, bland mashed potatoes) and poor service would have been enough to keep us away, then the food poisoning we both got from eating there started and ensured we will never darken their doors again.

Maybe they fixed all of those problems, but I'll never know.

My wife and I ate there once. Horrible food (under cooked chicken, cold sauces, and cold, bland mashed potatoes) and poor service would have been enough to keep us away, then the food poisoning we both got from eating there started and ensured we will never darken their doors again.

Maybe they fixed all of those problems, but I'll never know.

We don't eat anything but the sandwiches. Made to order and quite good.