GMG.com Places to eat and drink in Denton -- 2014 version

Harry

Perhaps you saw me post on Facebook a few weeks ago about paying for, but not eating food at an unnamed restaurant in Denton. At this unnamed establishment, I may have had a little debate with the proprietor as to whether straight honey was what a reasonable person could deem "spicy" or not.

This unnamed establishment was epic awful. I refused to have my meal comped, and wouldn't eat there again if they paid me. Shitty, and I mean shitty food. Cook so stoned out of his gourd that I'm not sure he realized where he was, and owner/manager who just has to be right and will be aggressively combative with customers to prove it.

Mmhmm.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bet The House BBQ -

I was in Denton last week and was able to try this out for lunch. I thought it was decent but not the best I ever had. Nice people and very friendly good service. We got there right as they opened for lunch and there was already a line forming. It's worth a try but its small, so no iced drinks and probably limited supply of certain food items. We tried the ribs and a sliced brisket sandwich with cole slaw. It was good, but as ArmyofDad stated the brisket was a little fatty/spicy for my taste. Ribs were dry rub and pretty damn good. Cole slaw was average.

Love the small independent places like this, and would go back again. For now though I wouldn't place them ahead of my old stand by Rudy's. I drink a lot of ice tea and being able to fill up as much of it as I want of it along with the quality of the meats keeps Rudy's at the top of my list in Denton for now. If I was in the square vicinity I would keep BTH on my short list however. GMG

Finally got around to trying Cage Brazil today... meh.

I just ate there for lunch today and it was not to bad. A bit slow with only two cooks but for 4.99 my sons pigs in a blanket were fantastic. It's essentially an up scale IHOP. The ones in Dallas as are open 24/7 but I do not think the one in denton is.

I am also surprised people have not mentioned places like chilis and on the border for places to eat. Both are fantastic! Subway is a great health option. Tons of good places all over to eat and almost all are owned by people who are local to denton. :)

Edited by Andrew

I am also surprised people have not mentioned places like chilis and on the border for places to eat. Both are fantastic! Subway is a great health option. Tons of good places all over to eat and almost all are owned by people who are local to denton. :)

7aJwm3V.gif

Edited by Christopher Walker

[pic]http://i.imgur.com/7aJwm3V.gif[/pic]

EDIT: sigh. once off mobile, I'll fix this.

I guess I am not following. I support capitalism and business. Is it not every restaurants goal to turn into a chain? I'm guessing once they turn into a chain or spread outside of the DFW area you will then hate it? That is after all the hipster thing to do I suppose. I do not think there is anything wrong with supporting places like Olive Garden. They are local and owned by locals who support the city and bring in revenue. At one time they too started off small...

• Upvote 1

No.

----

Starting to not tell if artful troll or just basic.

Wh o said this... I have never meet a restaurant owner who's goal was not to better his business. I am not a troll. I am speaking what I believe to be the truth. I won't say much more but everyone wants to make a profit and expand their business (at least in America) Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Wh o said this... I have never meet a restaurant owner who's goal was not to better his business. I am not a troll. I am speaking what I believe to be the truth. I won't say much more but everyone wants to make a profit and expand their business (at least in America)

Being better does not equal becoming a chain.

• Upvote 1

Eh, Chillis is useful. Fajitas are quite good, actually. Chips are good, also. It's not 5 star authentic Mexican food, and doesn't claim to be. Just reasonable good at a reasonable price.

And Andrew does have a salient point for a change. These "chain" restaurants are franchised, and usually owned locally. So all you food snobs out there need to realize that you are supporting locally owned businesses when you eat at these places.

Plus, the bar at the Chillis in Granbury is kind of a gathering spot for the 40 plus crowd.

So, there is... That?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I, for one, look forward to the prepackaged bento boxes from the franchised Keiichi kiosk at Love Field Airport. Yuuum!

As for chili's and its ilk, the nation had become like the Flintstones driving scenes where the background just keeps repeating. What happened to regional differences? There's hardly a reason to ever travel if all you're gonna do is eat subway.

• Upvote 1

Harry, I honestly don't care if people like chili's. No skin off my teeth. But isn't the whole point of these annual threads to point out places that make Denton unique? I can drive from Denton to work in Addison and eat chili's forty seven times, and that doesn't count the return trip.

Point well taken.

Subway? If I'm headed back to Denton and want a sandwich, it's always a stop at Sub Hub. I can count on one hand the number of times I ate at Subway in Denton, and that was usually because someone else was buying.

Outside of that, I like the calzones at J&J's on the square. Del Taco's breakfast burritos and cheap ass bean burritos are good. Not unique to Denton, but unique to me now that the Watauga one is closed and I don't get back to work in California often enough.

No mention of Beth Marie's yet?

Edited by ColoradoEagle
  • Upvote 1