GMG.com Places to eat and drink in Denton -- 2014 version

Harry

There is this place really close to Apogee that cooks really good, cheap food. Only open 6 days a year (sometimes 5, but I digress). Chefs John, Tony, Victor and Amanda prepare all sorts of yummy goodness.

Some of y'all have tried it.

Others should.

Exactly 2 months...

• Upvote 1

<p>

I've not been but Im hearing good things about Bet The House BBQ - (Brisket wise at least)

On my list. Who is with me?

• 508 S Elm St

Ste 109

Denton, TX 76201

I've never been there. How does it measure up with Lockharts, Hard 8, or Hutchins?

On another note, lately we've been stopping into LSA on the square. Good food, drinks, and atmosphere.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 1

I really want to try Bet The House like reel soon.

This town needs a legitimate burger joint on RJ's level again soooo bad.

Also..... don't hit me with the Denton independent line. Their burger is fine but it's nothing you can't get in any over greased gas station grill throughout this great state.

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Great food places

-- Andaman Thai (221 E Hickory -- get Bangkok drunken noodle with seafood)

-- Sushi Cafe (1401 W Oak -- great "happy hour" deals and an insane list of house mixed drinks)

-- Loophole (119 W Hickory -- yes, since it's reincarnation, it has very good food, especially hamburgers, which are half-price after 8 p.m. each Wednesday)

-- Mazatlan (1928 N Ruddell -- good Mexican food)

-- Want to try: Keiichi, Viet Bites, Czen, Queenie's, Giuseppe's

Great drink places

-- Mulberry Street Cantina (110 W Mulberry -- great fresh-fruit margaritas and happy-hour deals)

-- East Side (117 E Oak -- huge draft list, huge whiskey selection, very reliable in the scenery department)

-- Dan's Silverleaf (103 Industrial -- not the cheapest or the widest drink selection, but Denton's finest music venue and an all-around awesome place run by great folks)

-- Hickory Street Lounge (212 E Hickory -- great place to watch a game; has some crazy Jack-and-Coke deal that's like $2.75 daily)

-- Want to try: Paschal's

PS -- I pray Sweetwater's August return brings something at least somewhat similar to its prior incarnation.

I've never been there. How does it measure up with Lockharts, Hard 8, or Hutchins?

On another note, lately we've been stopping into LSA on the square. Good food, drinks, and atmosphere.

I'm willing to accept that I'm in the minority on this one. LSA has taken over as the most popular spot on the square and I strongly dislike it. The food isn't bad, but it's nothing you can't duplicate at home. Also, there's an almost 1-to-1 employee to customer ratio, which makes for about 50 employees standing around doing nothing at all times.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

<p>

I've not been but Im hearing good things about Bet The House BBQ - (Brisket wise at least)

On my list. Who is with me?

• 508 S Elm St

Ste 109

Denton, TX 76201

It's good. Not Lockhart good.

Brisket was really good, more fat than I prefer. The pulled pork was too sweet and fatty for my taste. I will be back for the brisket though.

Also at 508 S. Elm is The Last Drop Tavern.

Pizza is freaking awesome. Prices are good too (happy hour special is a one topping pizza and a pint for $6). For me, best pizza in town.

Edited by Army of Dad
  • Upvote 1

I really want to try Bet The House like reel soon.

This town needs a legitimate burger joint on RJ's level again soooo bad.

Also..... don't hit me with the Denton independent line. Their burger is fine but it's nothing you can't get in any over greased gas station grill throughout this great state.

Not gonna happen bro.

RIP RJ

rj_s.jpg

Captain Nemo's is next door to the Center for the Visual Arts and across the street from the Central Fire Station. It's in the location where Hoochie's Oyster House was (Hoochie's is now on Hickory @ industrial). There was a nice article on Nemo's in Sunday's D R-C. The original owner, Milton Fette is back at the helm and I can't wait to get another steak, cheese, and mushrooms. The original Nemo's was on Eagle @ Bernard.

Lots of action on and around the square. All good places to celebrate NT wins.

Beat Texas

GO MEAN GREEN

How's the new BBQ place on the square? Where Vigna use to be? Sorry I don't know the name...

Goldmine BBQ. Just.... no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no.

No.

----

For those appreciative of Denton's coffee game, West Oak Coffee Bar, Hypnotic Donuts with Cultivar Coffee, and Shift will be opening (and super revamped reopening for the latter) all about the same time in the Fall.

Alternatively, you got four operating local roasters in town in Bookish, Coffeewright, Macaroni Island, and Seven Mile Coffee - all of which can be picked up at Recycled Books.

Goldmine BBQ. Just.... no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no.

No.

----

Perhaps you saw me post on Facebook a few weeks ago about paying for, but not eating food at an unnamed restaurant in Denton. At this unnamed establishment, I may have had a little debate with the proprietor as to whether straight honey was what a reasonable person could deem "spicy" or not.

This unnamed establishment was epic awful. I refused to have my meal comped, and wouldn't eat there again if they paid me. Shitty, and I mean shitty food. Cook so stoned out of his gourd that I'm not sure he realized where he was, and owner/manager who just has to be right and will be aggressively combative with customers to prove it.

• Upvote 1