UNT Football History-UTA vs NTSU 1977 Game Film

DeepGreen

I still wonder why UTA so abruptly gave up football. I have always thought there was a big scandal about to break involving their program. They had just built a new stadium and Curtis seems to have the program on an upswing.

I do beleive NT beat them in their last game and I guess the humiliation was just too much.

• Upvote 1

#19 at QB was Kenny Washington. Going off memory alone on OL: 54-Greg Davidson, 70-Paul Martin, 61-Melvin Lark, 77-Gary Smith, 66-?. 16 may have been Andy Everest Jr,,18- Jeff Brown(?), 24-Fred Gordon, 7-Mike Jones, 3-Iseed Khoury. Punter I believe was Donnie Fechtman.

Edited by Marty
  • Upvote 1

That would be the GREAT J.T. Smith returning punts. Other greats on that team are Jordan Case and Ron Battle.

NT wins the game 15-6 to remain undefeated (Miss St. cheated and got caught). We already had wins over $MU, UTEP, Southern Miss, and Richmond. We would go on to beat Memphis St the following week and crush La Tech to end the season 10-1. The only loss was at Florida St.

Good times.

Going into motion a lot was the great Pete Harvey (#16), #35 was DE Bernard (Ali Babba)West, #66 was Jimmy Odoms who played NG most of his career but finished up playing OG. Michael Joes (#7) was the leading rusher that year, but I also noticed the great Malcom Jones (#6) in there some. Also LB Rex Glendenning was out there somewhere, but I'm ashamed to say I can't remember his number. Also (2) I think that it was Danny Whitaker that was wearing #40. Burks Washington once told a reporter that Danny (a Decatur graduate) was crazy.

Edited by SilverEagle

Watching film of the 78 NT/MSU game. We jumped ahead early in the game and before half time we had our second team QB (#10 Joe Stevenson) out there, as well as our high profile recruit Milton Collins (#42).

Imagine that, giving your back-up QB more playing time than a crummy series or two at the end of a game.

I've been watching those films also Silver. Hayden seemed to get his backups plenty of playing time. Very seldom did Kenny Washington play the whole game (when he was healthy), Ken Smith and Glen Ray would always get a series or two. Noticed in the 1975 Texas game, Glen Ray lined up at halfback and they tried a halfback pass. "Exotics" is what Coach Fry called those trick plays. Fry was pretty innovative to say the least.

Watching film of the 78 NT/MSU game. We jumped ahead early in the game and before half time we had our second team QB (#10 Joe Stevenson) out there, as well as our high profile recruit Milton Collins (#42).

Imagine that, giving your back-up QB more playing time than a crummy series or two at the end of a game.

R.I.P. Milton:

http://www.peacefulrestfuneralhome.com/memsol.cgi?user_id=1308267

• Upvote 1

What great memories, although most of these were after my time. Here's the San Diego State game in 1974 which was our only victory ever against a ranked team. The announced attendance was 1000 (!) but in reality, it was more like 300.

Note the fans rushing the field after the victory!

http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc272190/m1/

• Upvote 1

What great memories, although most of these were after my time. Here's the San Diego State game in 1974 which was our only victory ever against a ranked team. The announced attendance was 1000 (!) but in reality, it was more like 300.

Note the fans rushing the field after the victory!

http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc272190/m1/

Awesome to watch!