The (un)official campaign for loud fans in the young alumni section

With Harry's blessing, I'm making this thing its own thread. We've been talking for quite some time over on the "No more heckling" thread about ways to put loud fans in the section that Conference USA has deemed can no longer be allocated as student seating.

We've set up a campaign to raise at minimum, $10,000, maxing out at $24,000 because that would be the entire section. I set the minimum at $10,000 because honestly, for fewer than 100 seats, this isn't going to have the desired effect.

So if the campaign doesn't meet the minimum goal, nobody's card gets charged, we all take our balls and go home, no harm, no foul.

If the campaign reaches $10,000, I will collect the money via crowdtilt and purchase the tickets through the recent alumni program via Eddie Delgado.

I will assume no responsibility for ticket distribution. Christopher Walker has (by nomination) volunteered to be master distributor of tickets. I figure, he's young, he's got the connections, he lives in Denton, and his beard is glorious. What could possibly go wrong there?

The campaign is set to end mid-day on July 27th. We've got 29 days, ladies and gentlemen. Lets fill apogee and keep our little home field advantage alive and well!

Contribute! Contribute now! <--------that right there's the link to contribute. So go contribute!

This post has been promoted to an article
  • Upvote 5

If this thing gets off the ground and we do make the 100 seat minimum, how about we at least illicit a promise from the students that get the tickets that they will purchase them for the first season after they graduate as a condition of getting this season free. And then why dont we give preference to seniors graduating in either December, 2014 or May, 2015?

Unless we plan on doing this every year, this will hopefully ensure that at least some of those receiving tickets will be around and contributing instead of just looking for better free seats.

I've been spending the last few hours mulling the possibilities and there's two big priorities for me:

1. They have to be near certifiably rabid in those seats

2. Where possible, friends should get to sit together.

On the latter, the resounding theme from schools who are experiencing ticket drop off is that people can't sit with their friends and thus aren't buying.

I've got UNT90's thing figured out. They have to fill out lead cards in exchange for the tickets. Preferably we verify the phone number on the spot. Then we hand those off to Eddie and he sets loose his relentless team of telemarketers.

I'd still like a promise to purchase recent grad tickets after they graduate. Then Eddie could remind them of that promise on his follow up call the next year.

Guilt can be a very successful instrument.

Edited by UNT90

Done Tony.

We are struggling in the early going.

Come on, folks

Just shy of 5% to goal after one day. If we could keep that pace, we'd make it, but we gotta get the word out there and get people believing in the idea. Gotta build enthusiasm for it. I'm at a little bit of a loss as to how to do it being the relative hermit that I am. Christopher Walker social mediaed the hell of it it last night. I'd say that if you've got lots of UNT fans as facebook fans to start there. I really like what he wrote:

Attention North Texas Football fans, we need your help.

Despite lobbying from AD Rick Villareal, CUSA has officially changed the seating rules and will now strongly enforce restrictions on students sitting behind the opponent bench at football games. For Apogee, that means the first five rows between the 35s, about 240 seats.

If you had any part of the rise in our team in the last few years, you know that a large part of that was the intimidating impact and decibels produced from the student section. This rule seeks to gut that, but has a compromise in being reserved for Young Alumni at the special price of $100 (with complimentary chair backs!).

We say no. Tony Field, myself, and folks on GoMeanGreen.com are working to actively make sure that our rowdiest are still behind that opposing bench by crowdfunding those tickets and then distributing them to the most vocal students or non-students we can find. As we're both young alumni and there's no restriction on how many tickets can be purchased, we think this is the best way to go.

We're crowdfunding this endeavor here:https://www.crowdtilt.com/campaigns/put-loud-fans-in-the-young-alumni-section and we'd like for you to help out. If you want to ensure that this section remains a cohesive, impassioned, and spirited bunch (see: no golf-clappers) then consider donating to this Crowdtilt today. It works like Kickstarter and will only charge your card when we tilt at $10,000 or 100 tickets.

If you yourself think that you'd want to get in on those seats, call the UNT Ticket Office at 940-565-2527.

Make sure to spread this one around!

Here's the link again so the lazy don't have to go back to page 1.

Just shy of 5% to goal after one day. If we could keep that pace, we'd make it, but we gotta get the word out there and get people believing in the idea. Gotta build enthusiasm for it. I'm at a little bit of a loss as to how to do it being the relative hermit that I am. Christopher Walker social mediaed the hell of it it last night. I'd say that if you've got lots of UNT fans as facebook fans to start there. I really like what he wrote:

Here's the link again so the lazy don't have to go back to page 1.

Maybe a mod could pen the link to the top if the football forum?

Have each row sponsored by a bar/grill/restaurant named after the row's respective donor. Then turn the row's into fan clubs such as what euro soccer does. Then the rows hang out at their donors establishment. It's a way to establish networks, bring business to the establishments, and have a cohesive group sitting together at games. All of this is far fetched, but would be highly beneficial for everyone involved.

Sponsorship would require the AD to be involved, and I don't think they can be involved in any way in the tickets getting into the hands of students.

If they could be, they should be exploring these options, not us.

Agreed. That's why this must be a grass roots campaign. Following the letter of the law, spitting in the face of the spirit.

• Upvote 2